New here and just wanted to share

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paintedgates

Reaction score
Hello, I have been a lurker for a while but got brave enough to finally post. lol anyway, I was just wondering I just bought a new stallion. He is amhr/amha reg. On his papers it says he is palimino (sp?) His dam is grey dun so I am told and father is a cremelo (sp?) Anyway to me he does not look his reg color. What color is he and how do I go about getting it changed? Here is blue. He drives like a dream and still is a stallion but I am not sure if I am going to geld him or not. thanks in advance

ab0fc27e.jpg
[/img]

a2e7eea0.jpg

f055e9cd.jpg

He has ice blue eyes and a wide blaze. I just love this guy. He is so sweet. I will try to find a pic of him that you can see his eyes. sorry the pics turned out so big still learning about posting them. thanks again.

Welcome to LB from New Hampshire!

I am terrible with colors, but he is a gorgeous boy!

He's a handsome boy. Congratulations!

I would label him as a silver buckskin.

MA

I will leave the colour question to someone who is more knowledgeable. :aktion033:

WELCOME from Ontario Canada

bluesept04.jpg

ok thanks for the nice words. so how do I change his color on his papers? I see on the work orders they have a place for it so I just tell them he is this color? sorry for posting so many pics I just can not get enough of him lol. thanks again

pretty boy
default_yes.gif
: im not sure what color he is but i think its definately safe to say he isnt palimino.hehe but he sure is handsome
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Will

Yep, I would say he is a silver buckskin as well. He is really pretty!

He's lovely.

He is a silver buckskin....good luck convincing the registry about his true color....sometimes that can be difficult as the registries are notorious for incorrect color identification......

the blue eyes are from overo, and my guess is too silver buckskin. so i supose silver buckskin pinto. that overo looks to me like LWO (frame), not splash, but i could be wrong.

welcome to the forum from southern california! :saludando: you'll love it here!

and this:

....good luck convincing the registry about his true color....sometimes that can be difficult as the registries are notorious for incorrect color identification......
so true! the registries are confusing, as they don't always accept some colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
so is it better just to leave the color that is on his papers? even if it is not his true color? I am thinking about gelding him anyway but still would like his papers to be right. thanks

I agree with Silver Buckskin, and I definitely would have his color changed on his papers. The registry shouldn't give you any problems, as he is quite OBVIOUSLY not palomino.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

He was probably initially registered as Palomino as a foal, before his "points" darkened (lower legs & ear tips) and mane & tail probably looked white from the Silver gene.

He looks like a classic silver buckskin to me too, with something else added in with regards the blaze and blue eyes.

Very pretty boy :bgrin

He is very handsome! You might want to change the color on his papers if you start showing because you will probably have a steward that is knowledgeable and will have you send in for a color change anyway. He is a beauty! Lavonne

Sorry Folks....I am sure this horse is Grey- do you not see that??

How old is he??

I am pretty sure all we have here is a horse born Palomino (Splash) and going Grey.

Grey has that affect on the white mane and tail- it goes dark first then sometimes goes back to light.

If you go here

http://www.equinecolor.com/contact.html

and search out the pictures of the Palomino going Grey you will see exactly what I mean.

It is possible there is Silver but I doubt it, personally.

Sorry Folks....I am sure this horse is Grey- do you not see that??

How old is he??

I am pretty sure all we have here is a horse born Palomino (Splash) and going Grey.

Grey has that affect on the white mane and tail- it goes dark first then sometimes goes back to light.

If you go here

http://www.equinecolor.com/contact.html

and search out the pictures of the Palomino going Grey you will see exactly what I mean.

It is possible there is Silver but I doubt it, personally.
I can't find the pic/s you mean and I've been over the site several times, but grey surely wouldn't make prevously pale *points* go black? It's the points that make it unable to be a paly, as palimino is on a chestnut base (no dark points) and the buckskin is on the bay base (dark points).

And maybe it's just me, but when a horse goes grey they get lighter, that's the nature of the greying gene. If they got darker it's at least be a black/grey colour and not as chocolaty brown as this handome boy has.

He may be greying out, but he's a greying out buckskin, not paly. Look at the third pic of him in harness and you can see his points (lower legs, ear tips, nose) are really dark there, they're not as dark in the first two pics, but they're still there, and palys don't have points, greying or not IMO....
default_smile.png

FD

No, when a horse goes from Palomino to Grey perversely, the light parts go dark. No idea why.

We need some pictures of him as a foal, to see if he was actually Palomino, or or a miss registered Buckskin.

Either way it is more or less irrelevant as he will be Grey and if he is to be gelded then he needs to be registered as Grey, the background becomes meaningless when there will be no foals.
default_smile.png

I've just had a look and I can't find the pictures either!!

I'll e-mail Sarah and see if we can dig them out, in the mean time you will have to take my word for the fact that a horse that starts out Palomino can in fact, look just like this and still just be going Grey.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, when a horse goes from Palomino to Grey perversely, the light parts go dark. No idea why.

We need some pictures of him as a foal, to see if he was actually Palomino, or or a miss registered Buckskin.

Either way it is more or less irrelevant as he will be Grey and if he is to be gelded then he needs to be registered as Grey, the background becomes meaningless when there will be no foals.
default_smile.png
Ya learn somethign new every day! I'd never realised palys would get darker when they greyed out, before actually greying out! lol!

Though I agree he does appear to be going grey, in which case he is/will be grey, reguardless of whatever he started out as.
default_smile.png

FD

oh ok, grey??? I will get some of his foal pics scanned this evening. He has produced buckskin, dun grey, palomino but not with me. He might look white or grey in the pics has he has been body clipped and does go lighter when he is clipped. He has not gotten any lighter and legs are dark as with ears tips. He has a gold hue about him in the winter. He is 7 years old. I looked at the pics on the site and to me he still looks silver buckskin. I will post more pics this evening. Thanks this is interesting.

Latest posts

Back