New Foal - Hubby saved the day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
We had a colt born last night. First live foal this year. We lost our first colt last month, it didn't get out of the bag. Anyway, I had the camera and Equipage up this go round. However, our receiption on the camera sucks this year. We had horizontal lines in the picture. (Our barn is quite a way from the house) Beeper went off at 12:30 a.m. and I jumped off the couch to run into the kitchen to look at screen. Once the lines eased up, I saw a small white bubble. I couldn't decide whether to head for the barn or get my hubby and daughter. I decided to head for the barn. Went running with my sneakers half on down the rock road. When I got there all I saw was a nose and one foot. Got on the phone and called hubby. He went in and found one leg was bent and he got it turned around. It was his first time doing anything like this and we were scared to death. WE thought we had lost him. But he is fine. Mom is a sorrel and white paint and dad is a black and white paint. Genetics site said we had a 70% chance to have sorrel and white. Well, we got black and white! He has a lot less white than our other black and white babies and to us is a real doll. His barn name is "Edsel" which is my hubby's middle name. My daughter hates that. I am letting her pick the registered name since her mare lost her foal. So La Petite Minis' is proud to introduce: EDSEL. Here are some pic's taken this morning. Look at the red in his ears...do you think his color is not black and white?

babymini013.jpg

babymini011.jpg

babymini010.jpg

babymini003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your new, adorable colt!!! I think the name Edsel is cute!!!

Congratulations - he sure is cute - and I like the barn name a lot.

His name could be Limited Edition (compatible with Edsel)

He could be dark bay/brown with the light hairs in his ears -- may have to wait until he is a bit older to be sure of his true color.

What color was dad?

JJay

A BIG congratulations to you and hubby!!! He is adorable and mom looks so proud! :aktion033:

Liz R.

He is adorable, and I'd say the color is because he is a dark bay!

Congrats!!!!!!!

:new_shocked:
default_wub.png
: Oh what a sweetheart he is!!!! I also LOVE his barn name, too cute, GREAT JOB "DAD"!!!!

Edsel is handsome and congratulations and so glad you hubby to straighten the foot. Enjoy him now.

Mom is pretty too.

Congrats!!! Good job getting him delivered!
default_yes.gif
: Give that hubby a hug!

The colt is so pretty! WHOO HOO!!! The red in his ears don't mean anything. He's a black pinto.

Love that first picture peeking out from under mom....What a cutie! And love his name too! :bgrin

MA

I love the second picture--baby and mom are both very pretty! And I think Edsel is a neat name, LOL. I've never heard it before.

He is just darling, and I LOVE his markings! I'm so glad you were able to save him! And I love the barn name!

Like you, our barn is a long distance from our house. We are up on the side of a hill in the woods and the barn is 600' below us, with another little forest separating us from the barn. Do you have a wireless camera? We were told that wouldn't work for us, because the distance was too great and because the trees would interfere.

So we purchased a "wired" camera, bought 650' of video wire, and ran the wire from the barn up the hill to our house. Our picture is crystal clear! After foaling season we disconnect the wire and roll it up and store it inside. So while that part isn't real convenient, having the beautifully clear picture is priceless.

Our foal born last Sunday is a good example. I was watching the barn cam and fell asleep a little after 11 pm. About 45 minutes later my pager went off which woke me up, and I saw my mare lay down and get up twice, and then lay down a third time and I saw her have a contraction. I yelled to wake up my husband and daughter and in that ten seconds I saw the bubble emerge! I flew out the door, jumped on my Honda scooter, and drove down the driveway to the barn. When I got there the foal was fully expelled, but still in the sac. He was already moving his head but the sac was not breaking. I do believe that had I not been there to tear open that sac he would have suffocated. Without that barn cam, I would never have known!

"CONGRATULATIONS!" on little Edsel!! He is just adorable!!

How wonderful that your husband was able to straighten out the leg and deliver him safely. I had the same situation this year and thankfully Nate and Marnie(Sunset Ridge Miniatures) stopped and Nate was able to get the baby out, I had been trying and there was no way I could get the leg positioned. She is just one of the most precious of all our babies!!!

Love the name, "Edsel!"

default_wub.png
: Well, Dandy......you have yourself a REAL DANDY!!

His coat is so shiny, and just a beautiful package altogether! What's most interesting is the brown hair in his ears....very unusual!

Your husband should get the mini horse Dad of the Year......enjoy Mr Edsel!

Cindy

Congratulations to hubby for saving his namesake! What a dollface!

My best friend growing up won a pony once in a contest sponsered by Ford Company ..."Name the pony and best name wins it" Nation wide and my friend Irene won! She submitted name "Little Sir Edsel" and won.

However we were young teens and she traded him in on a horse so we could ride together.I rode a quarter horse at the time.
default_smile.png

Maxine

Edsel is a gorgeous black pinto. Congratulations :aktion033: :aktion033: Mary

Awww....good job hubby! Edsel is a cute name for a colt. And I love minimal pintos....shoot, I love all pintos, I'm soooooo color blind.

He's beautiful!!! Congrats! I'll bet he's going to be spoiled rotten!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back