New foal drinking water??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floridachick

Reaction score
Our baby is 3 days old and is nursing ,pooping, peeing and running all over. It was 75 and sunny here today and he really kicked up his heels. He kept running over and lapping up water from the buckets.. He dunks his muzzle and plays. Is this ok??

Its really hard to say without seeing him. Dunking the nose in water but not drinking it can be a sign of ulcers. But if hes playing and acting spunky hes probably fine. I did once have a foal that got kinda obsessed with drinking water from the bucket and then didnt nurse so we had to remove the water bucket or keep him out of the stall until he got over it (only took a day) Our vet advised that you dont want them drinking so much water that they dont nurse. We only had it happen once

I always tie my water buckets up for the first week-week and a half. Ensures there aren't any fall-in mishaps and that they are drinking much needed milk, not water. After that, I lower them.

We have a T/B foal at the barn he is only about a week old and he is drinking water and nursing just fine.

Big RED flag for me -- I would get him on Gastroguard immediately -- that is a classic sign of an ulcer. May not be anything at all, but Gastroguard won't hurt him, and if he is "working on an ulcer" this could save his life.

Keep us posted.

Stacy

Have to say that at three days old, it IS awfully young.........I've been told it's wise to pick water buckets up for just for the mom's level for at least the first week to 10 days.....mostly because a curious foal can suck up so much water that they will fill their tummy and not nurse as much!

We've never had a young one like that be interested in the water bucket. It may be fine, but I would watch him. It's always best to be overly cautious with the very young.

I always tie my water buckets up for the first week-week and a half. Ensures there aren't any fall-in mishaps and that they are drinking much needed milk, not water. After that, I lower them.
I was curious about what to do with the buckets once the foal arrives!! If they are on the ground, you'd risk fall in's like you say BUT how high do you hang them and still be safe that the foal doesn't jump around and get hung up in them?

~Tammy

I called the vet out and he thinks he is just curious. He said he doesn't seem to actually drink it as much as he is just playing in it. He said he would be concerned if the foal was quiet and lethargic, but he is energetic and running all around playing. It is hot and sunny, so no worries about him getting a chill during the day either. Thank you all, I am keeping a close eye on him.

I was curious about what to do with the buckets once the foal arrives!! If they are on the ground, you'd risk fall in's like you say BUT how high do you hang them and still be safe that the foal doesn't jump around and get hung up in them?

~Tammy
I put a large eye screw in the wall and buy heavy duty clips to raise the bucket about a foot off the ground or high enough to make the top of the bucket chest level for the mare.

Latest posts

Back