New Driving pics & video

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph G

Reaction score
Spring will be beginning her driving career in the show ring at the end of this month. She will be in Western County Pleasure Driving under. I worked with her inconsistantly through the winter, but in the past few weeks I've finally had enough daylight when I get home to work with her. So far she's been very willing to do whatever I ask, but I'm not sure how skilled the trainer is(me).

Anyway, my sweet sister came out and tooks some pics and video for me. I think she's coming along nicely, but I know we have a long way to go. What do you think?

BTW - I know the shafts need to be lowered. I need to punch holes in my harness.

So here's Spring in my brand new show cart(Graber) and almost new harness:

HPIM1994.jpg

And here's a link to the youtube video: (not long, my camcorder died)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB6IAYMzSLE...re=channel_page

She looks like she is going to be a wonderful Western Pleasure horse!!! Appears you are doing a great job with her from here!!!

Here's a Laugh-at-Celia-Moment: For a second I didn't see the long reins and thought "Wow! I didn't know you could train a mini to drive by himself!"
default_doh.gif
Wowwww, Celia... :stupid

Well anyways, she has a beautiful colored coat, and looks like she was made for driving!

--C

Hey! I recognize that cart! LOL

Your mare looks like she is doing great, I agree the "picture" will be better when the shaft loops are dropped a bit. She is just lovely and one of my favorite colors to boot! I actually think the silver looks pretty good on her! I am sure the two of you will do very well at the show.
default_yes.gif

She's looking great!
default_wub.png
She forms a very pretty picture, especially with that cart, and when the shaft loops have been dropped I think it'll be nearly perfect. She's obviously got a nice stride and a good quiet head, you just need to get her hindquarters under her a little more and teach her to carry her weight back there. That takes awhile though, I wouldn't expect her to have that down yet. Keep it up!

Leia

Steph, She looks great!! Can't wait to see her in the ring. Hopefully we will be there 2 down 1 left to foal and then it's show time!!!!

Thanks everybody! It's nice to be able to get on here and get outside opinions. This is only the second horse that I've trained to drive, so I'm still having a hard time going from being on my QH's back to being behind them. BIG difference!!! I went from everything being through my legs and seat to all hands. It's totally backward from what I'm used to. Thankfully, Ricky Wardlaw of Cygnet farm has helped me through the speed bumps along the way. If all goes as planned she's nationals bound with him in the drivers seat!

Leia, are there any specific exercises that will help get her hindquarters under her more. She looks good with no cart attached. Again, I might have a better idea of what to do if I were ON her. LOL

Thanks clickmini. I liked it once I saw it on her, but I wasn't sure I would. (still thinking about another one. he he) I still think Aladdin looks better(maybe I should've gotten a gold cart)

Two more weeks until the show
default_new_shocked.gif
!

Steph G said:
Leia, are there any specific exercises that will help get her hindquarters under her more. She looks good with no cart attached. Again, I might have a better idea of what to do if I were ON her. LOL
Well, first of all how old is she? How long has she been in the cart total? The first time I watched the video on my cell phone so I couldn't see much detail, upon watching it properly on my computer I see she's already got some moments where she's trying to track up and use herself. Is she built as high in the hindquarters as it looks like she is? That'll make it harder for her but it's still doable. I'd say mostly collect her and bend her in the corners, then let her lengthen on the long sides and collect her again in the next corner. When you lengthen don't throw away the reins; hold steady contact with her mouth and drive her forward with your voice into the bridle so instead of falling apart she pushes forward from the rear. You're almost softening your elbows more than you are giving her rein. If she gives you a particularly good lengthening bring her down to a walk with lots of praise. If she starts to rush, fall on her forehand or otherwise fall apart give her a half-halt to rebalance her then try again. Keep everything relaxed and soft and reward small increments of progress. She doesn't have the strength yet as a green horse to give you more than a few strides on a good day!
default_smile.png

When she's more experienced you can use a lot of transition work from walk to trot, trot to walk, walk to halt, halt to trot, etc. to help her learn to work from the rear. That's hard on a horse though with a cart attached and you can get them overexcited if you're not careful so focus first on relaxation, engagement and rhythm within each gait. The rest will come with time! It looks like you're doing a great job with her despite the "look Mom, no legs!" thing.
default_yes.gif
Been there, done that, it ain't easy! *LOL*

I suspect she's going to do great the way she is, you'll just have more power to work with if you get the hindquarters coiling too.
default_wink.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back