New baby rears A LOT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
I have no idea how to deal with rearing...especially with a baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several solutions to this problem, I prefer to deal with it by using patience, praise and lots of time.

Does she tie? If she is used to be tied then tie her short to a solid wall, stand to the side, not in front. Start sctaching her neck, shoulder, gently run your hand down her front leg. Stop. Do not pick it up at this point. You should be facing backwards toward her rear. If she doesn't rear, praise and pet, ans scratch somemore. Keep repeating, on both sides. Let her rest and be a horse, try this a couple times a day. Once she has this part down, start to slowly rub her front legs, front and back. Stop. When she has this learned then repeat but lift the foot, hold for just a couple seconds put it down, if she stands quietly then praise, once this is learn you should be able to clean the hooves. If you have a rasp you can run it over her hooves between farrier visits to get her used to that as well. If she rears while leading, snap the lead line, always stand to the side of her. If it gets really bad you could put a chain over her nose, but it could do some damage so maybe if she is that bad, you might want to seek the help of a trainer. If she is doing this only for the farrier it is probably lack of learning, training, so I would try to be gentle and patient with her. If she doesn't tie the have someone hold her in a corner pushing her side into a wall, and her head facing another wall, stand on the side that is open, not in front and keep her against the wall so she can be trimmed, reverse for the ohter side.

I got a very nice mini sized rope halter from Clinton Andersen. It stopped the problem for me in a non stressful way. Gave me a bit of leverage for a boy I had that loved walking on two legs " just for fun". Ps we worked with two people on training. One on the head..one doing feet and both doing leading. Didn't need the rope halter very long. Used thin leather after that. I did lots of "pretending tobethefarrier" too. Loved the halter. He respected it.

Step #1--teach her to tie. At ten months she is old enough for that.

On e she will stand tied, work with her legs as described above. You can do that with just one person--I never have help with that aspect of it.

I agree she has to be taught to tie up before you can get anywhere- apart form anything else she will respect the halter far more if she ties up properly. I think the rearing is all part of this- once she ties I think you will see a huge difference in her.

Patience... I read that you have only had her for a week and I think that may hold the clue here. She is under a lot of stress right now (and could have ulcers from it) and I found one of the main differences between the biggies and minis is that minis will rear when they are scared or stressed. We had one foal that reared for a short time - got me in the face good once when the farrier was here. At that point she was so young I was holding her, and once she was able to be tied, the rearing disappeared. She is now coming 3 and a VERY reliable mini for our young 4-Hers. At her very first show she was shown very successfully by our special needs member. Keep that in mind. I think this can be a bit like kids and the "terrible twos" and you are dealing with it a bit late and at the same time that she is under extra stress.

ok, that makes sense. Ive been worried about teaching her to tie til we got over this rearing as I didnt want her to rear back when tied and break her neck or choke...so teaching to tie should be my next goal with her then?

I teach my foals to tie by tying them up where they cannot get a foot hung up (solid stall wall) and let them fight that big bad rope....and not me. I teach them that from the time they are 2 months old because it is a matter of safety for both them and me. Some quit fighting in a matter of minutes, some are real blockheads and take a lot longer. I do NOT let them loose until they stand for at least a minute without fighting. The release is their reward and they quickly get it. I've had them flip, I've had them sull and darn near pass out, but it will NOT hurt them. Better as a youngster than trying to teach manners to a full grown one that can hurt you!! Once they stand, praise, scratch, rub.

I don't mean to sound like a preacher, but it sounds like whomever you bought this filly from, neglected her training. sorry to sound negative, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Good breeders train their foals how to have their hooves trimmed, how to stand in the cross ties or to be tied, and the list goes on and on. Now you have the responsability of teaching this little scared filly the ins and outs of haveing to learn how to do all the things that must be done in order for her to remain healthy. Please take Jeans advice and teach her to tie, after she feels the pressure on her pole she will eventually calm down. I would advise you to not act aggressive just firm and use lots of patience, and praise. Good luck, and I'm glad you have an understanding farrier.

Please look up Blocker tie rings. You must use a thick, normal size lead, a worn one will offer more resistance. Yes, they work for minis as well as large horses. Allows the release of pressure. Great, safe learning tool, great to keep using after they are trained. Just lower it to mini height for a mini.

Attempting to do some positive thinking!

If you have had her only a week, I believe that is part of your problem. You do not have her trust yet, I would work on that, she is in a new environment and scared probably over everything. Maybe wait a bit on the trimming until she adjusts to her new home better. Too bad she did not get better handling when she was younger, but I bet you can do it with patience; talk to her a lot, I am one that talks to my horses softly when around them, if they are naughty, a sharp word works because it is different from the usual.

Be sure to stay near when you are teaching her to tie.

I've heard rearing is a going forward problem...does she lead well??? This also goes to the previous comments about overall training/respect/trust...start with the basics and the rearing will go away...it is a symptom, not the problem...think the tie blocker ring will help her (and make you worry less) with the rearing behavior...

Smile, laugh and enjoy the training...and most importantly stay safe....

Sandi

Thanks everyone. She was well loved in her previous home but the lack of handling does make more challenges for us now.

While I agree with the others that she lacks training (it is instinctive for a horse to fight having their feet taken away from them - you have to teach them to accept it) I always do 2 things with a rearing horse. 1rst, if that horse actually flips itself and ends up on the ground I am quick to move in and hold it down there. Put pressure on the jaw , if the horse can't raise its head it can't get up, and while its down I will touch rub and manipulate any part of its body I can (it does help to have a second person to either hold them or do the touching). I let them up when they relax.I know this might be controversial but I can not abide rearers and once you have held them down (please note I do not attempt to put them there just hold them if they throw themselves) they are far more relaxed and accepting of handling. The second thing I do is use an inner tube (a car tube for a full size horse and a bike tube for a mini) tied to something the horse will not be able to pull over, break or in any other way get loose from and then I tie the horses lead to that. Use good solid equipment that won't break and if you think the horse will fight a great deal then I will take a soft rope loop it around the girth and (tie it there with a solid non slip knot - I like the bowline) up between its front legs thro the halter and then tied hard and fast to the inner tube. That way if they really fight they will not injure their neck. I let them stand until they have quite fighting for at least a minute and repeat daily until they quit fighting it (then go back to a regular lead off of the halter to the tube and my horses often stand tied for up to an hour). Once I have that I will start handling feet etc until I can do so with out the horse throwing a fit. Oh yes, never forget the value of PRAISE when they are responding the way you like, quiet voice, kind hands and for some in some situations, a treat (not all horse should get treats IMO and not all of them care) When they fight, they are on their own, when they are cooperative they get praise. Good luck
default_smile.png

Good luck

If the trainer does all the work, make sure you spend some time making this now "spoiled brat" behave while the trainer is training you. This filly is PLENTY old enough to realize she has the upper hand...she has the bit in her teeth, so to speak, and is now the one in charge. If the trainer is the only one teaching and making her behave, as soon as the trainer leaves, you will be back to square one.

Def agree Jean, he would be working with both of us...I would just like someone here with more experience incase her and I run into trouble, I tend to freeze up and when the trainer helps he can coach me through the situation and make sure im not missing steps
default_smile.png

Back