New Baby Coming Tomorrow :>)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRERS

Reaction score
If all goes as planned tomorrow evening we are picking up an adorable little colt with a locking patella (stifle). His owner reports that it has only locked a few times since she has had him, so we are hoping that it isn't too bad and that since he is a baby, he may possibly outgrow it. I am very happy that his owners are finding him a pet home instead of using him as their herd sire, which is why they bought him. We will have him gelded as soon as it is medically possible, along with little Uriah.

My 8 Y/0 QH gelding had the same problem when we got him as a 5 Y/0, and it turned out to be bi-lateral, which is common, with one side usually being more severe/noticable than the other.

After a year of trying everything possible, with the locks getting more severe each time, our vet decided it was time for surgery - his hocks were starting to show arthritic changes due to overcompensating for his stifles. He had the ligament cut in both legs and has been excellent since. We have him x-rayed annually to be sure there are no arthritic changes or chips, and so far, so good! I am very careful with him because it is always just something that sticks in the back of my mind and I would die if anything ever happened to him, so we just take it easy and do leisurely rides - he is more my baby than my horse, lol.

Anyway, the little guy who is coming tomorrow is only 27.5" tall! I thought the pony we rescued last month was tiny at only 11 hands!!!
default_wub.png
: I will have our vet out to assess his condition and keep a very close eye on it - if it does become severe, we will most definitely opt for the surgery when he is old enough if it is not outgrown in time with exercise and growth.

I have to say, I am absolutely smitten with these tiny guys - they really are so much fun! I love our big guys, and having little ones is like being re-introduced to the world of horses all over again
default_smile.png
I am so excited about his arrival tomorrow!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh what special people you are.

I love how you quoted that 'having little ones is like being re-introduced to the world of horses all over again'.

I feel exactly the same way. I have had big horses in the past, and i have fallen in love all over again.

Good luck with your new horse. Post pics as soon as you can.

Congratulations, he could very easily out grow this too. It sounds like you know exactly what you're doing and what to expect. We'd love to see pictures when you get some, we all love the little ones.
default_wub.png
:

Wow, congratulations to you and lucky for him that he is getting a knowledgeable horse owner! Be sure to post pictures when he comes!
default_smile.png

Back