New babies doing better today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
charlotte and john, i have had big horses for 30+ years, some much more lovable than others. i got my first mini last fall, my second one just a month ago (can't stop at one, ya know?). prior to the minis, even though i dearly love my big horses, i have never had hooved animals with SOOO much personality!!! i am afraid i have been seriously bitten by the mini bug and i envy you, being able to spend so much time with your little ones and what a GREAT picture!

when i am home, i don't get much done. laundry is a fleeting thought, dusting the furniture doesn't even cross my mind, running the vacuum (and i have TWO corgis...corgis = projectile shedding) gets done only because it is a necessity and cooking...welllll...let's just say hubby is getting tired of fast food. :eek:

i have found the forums here to be a wealth of information and there are SO many knowledgeable people here with SO much great information, i don't seem to be getting much done at work either. good thing my boss is computer-ignorant. she thinks when i'm typing, i must be working! :bgrin

Awww, thats great, and I have to also repeat what others said, I too sit out and play with all of them.........thats the best thing ever!!!!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

charlotte and john, i have had big horses for 30+ years, some much more lovable than others. i got my first mini last fall, my second one just a month ago (can't stop at one, ya know?). prior to the minis, even though i dearly love my big horses, i have never had hooved animals with SOOO much personality!!! i am afraid i have been seriously bitten by the mini bug and i envy you, being able to spend so much time with your little ones and what a GREAT picture!
when i am home, i don't get much done. laundry is a fleeting thought, dusting the furniture doesn't even cross my mind, running the vacuum (and i have TWO corgis...corgis = projectile shedding) gets done only because it is a necessity and cooking...welllll...let's just say hubby is getting tired of fast food. :eek:

i have found the forums here to be a wealth of information and there are SO many knowledgeable people here with SO much great information, i don't seem to be getting much done at work either. good thing my boss is computer-ignorant. she thinks when i'm typing, i must be working! :bgrin

Charlene for a minute there i thought you were talking about me LOL. except luckily at my house it's hubby that cooks
default_rolleyes.gif
:

default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
: Charlotte & John.....WELCOME to the Wonderful World of Minis! :aktion033: Your babies are absolutely adorable
default_wub.png
: and I'm sure, with all the great advice you have already received, your babies will soon come around.

This Forum is a wonderful place to learn & share. But as any "family"....It does have a few bad apples from time to time.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Some of these people really do have good intentions....but don't seem to know how to get their advice across without being "judgemental". They seem to forget that we all had to start somewhere. Please look past those posts, and learn from the ones who REMEMBER what it was like when they started.
default_yes.gif
:

I'm a firm believer that one never stops learning....I have had minis since 1989, have owned horses my entire life (and I'm no spring chicken! :no: ) and I am STILL learning things from others here on the Forum.
default_wink.png
:

So.....absorb all the information you can from those who genuinely want to help.

Look beyond the rude remarks of those who "think" they are helping. :eek:

Most of all.....ENJOY your new little ones & look forward to a life filled with unconditional love!
default_wub.png
:

And....I, like many others have offered, would be glad to answer any questions, or help in any way I can regarding your minis. I'm not far from you....in Ohio. Just PM me...or e-mail. :saludando:

Welcome, and the best of luck with your miniatures, Charlotte and John...this can certainly be a place for much helpful information! A great photo--this is indeed what it is all about!

I read the closed thread, and with all due respect, I have to say that I did NOT find any 'meanness' , nor any 'bad apples' there--some very straightforward opinions, perhaps, and some opinions and advice BASED UPON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED at that point. In past, there WERE a very few 'bad apples' here, but that has been dealt with. I will not fault tagalong, nor Nathan, nor any post that was there this morning when I read the closed thread, for their advice, based on their experience and education(and there is NOTHING wrong with formal education, BTW.)

I am also one of the earlier members of this Forum(though because of Forum restructuring, the member numbers 'began again' a couple of times even BEFORE the count shown in the member ID info at top left, so even they aren't totally accurate; there ARE a few here, and some who no longer post, who WERE here from the VERY beginning, around '97, I believe--my own participation began in Jan. of '99.) Tagalong is so VERY correct in that those of us who have had a LONG time in the horse world have seen, over and OVER, situations arise that could be prevented, IF someone with knowledge and experience spoke up, AND someone was willing to listen!!(It takes both.)

Most of the advice about catching foals, etc., has been well-based, and doesn't need for me to repeat it.I will say that I am in COMPLETE agreement on not keeping a horse as a stallion, OR breeding; certainly not for the foreseeable future; my reasons mirror others already outlined.

As one who has been immersed in the world of horses, as a pretty much fulltime obcession, since I was 9 years old and got my first ('big') horse(of my own!), has owned, bred, shown, and trained miniatures since 1984,and consider myself still learning EVERY day, by choice and design, and is now 66 years old, , I would urge you to hear what is being said by knowledgable and concerned 'horsepeople'. You will come to find that 'advice' may come from some who are NOT so knowledgeable-they are here, also; defensiveness is often their hallmark. I have found this to be the case throughout internet forums-and IMO, it will become clear who bears listening to and who, perhaps, not so much. There ARE areas where there are more than one 'right' way to do much of what is done with/to horses; conversely, there are some areas where the 'rules' are much more 'hard and fast', IMO--especially where safety of both horse and handler are concerned--a good tenet to remember.

Buckskin gal stated a good position to take very well in her excellent post on the closed thread.

I have to ask--are the halters being left fulltime on the foals? If so, I would urge you, at the first opportunity, to remove the halters, putting them on only when you are actually working with the foals. Many longtime horsepeople would agree that leaving a halter(especially a flat nylon halter, which will almost certainly NOT break under stress) on an unattended horse can be dangerous to the horse. I know you may feel they need to be on for you to 'get ahold' of the foals; I understand this thinking-but by making a concerted effort to use the various suggestions as to catching/handling the foals(there is NO substitute for TIME SPENT TOGETHER), you should in very few days' time be able to 'catch' the foals, haltering them for handling and teaching to lead. Be sure that when they are haltered, that the halters are adjusted to be a snug(NOT tight!) fit-again, for safety.

Again, best wishes with your miniatures!

Margo

I read the closed thread, and with all due respect, I have to say that I did NOT find any 'meanness' , nor any 'bad apples' there--some very straightforward opinions, perhaps, and some opinions and advice BASED UPON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED at that point.
THANK YOU. Well said...

Iwill not fault tagalong, nor Nathan, nor any post that was there this morning when I read the closed thread, for their advice, based on their experience and education(and there is NOTHING wrong with formal education, BTW.)
Heh. :bgrin Then I must rate a double zero to many who hastened to deem some input as "negative" - I took Equine Science many years ago as well - but I think working with/for horses for almost twenty years counts for something.,... or one would think so. But not according to the juvenile PM I was sent telling me to shut up or that I did not know what I was talking about....

I am also one of the earlier members of this Forum(though because of Forum restructuring, the member numbers 'began again' a couple of times even BEFORE the count shown in the member ID info at top left, so even they aren't totally accurate; there ARE a few here, and some who no longer post, who WERE here from the VERY beginning, around '97, I believe--my own participation began in Jan. of '99.) Tagalong is so VERY correct in that those of us who have had a LONG time in the horse world have seen, over and OVER, situations arise that could be prevented, IF someone with knowledge and experience spoke up, AND someone was willing to listen!!(It takes both.)
Yes - it takes both - and not looking at all sides of a situation and discussing it.... helps no one. Like Margo - I was on the earlier version(s) of the board - and one of the originals there, as well.... and have seen some scenarios play out over and over again. The difference was - we used to be able to have discussions and look at all sides of an issue. Now? Not so much. I can think of some excellent horsepeople who used to post here - who simply grew weary of being sneered at for their opinions/wisdom/input.....they grew weary of being told that they did not know a thing and to shut up.... by people with far less experience/horse sense/common sense.

You will come to find that 'advice' may come from some who are NOT so knowledgeable-they are here, also; defensiveness is often their hallmark. I have found this to be the case throughout internet forums-and IMO, it will become clear who bears listening to and who, perhaps, not so much. There ARE areas where there are more than one 'right' way to do much of what is done with/to horses; conversely, there are some areas where the 'rules' are much more 'hard and fast', IMO--especially where safety of both horse and handler are concerned--a good tenet to remember.

Very well said. I was going to try to add more - but you said it all perfectly. This board is very very tame (except for the brief period of time when He Who Must Not Be Named was around) - and so I am always stunned to read long diatribes about nastiness or negativity... I guess if one simply sees different opinions as nasty or negative - that would apply - but such is not the case.

What surprized me the most about that thread - and Charlotte and John's tumultuous welcome to a message board - was some of the hypocrisy. Insulting people... telling them that they are rude or do not know a thing or suggesting that they are liars - and are not welcome here - as happened to ME via PM and Nathan right on the board for all to see (talk about rude!) - all while posting to complain about flaming and bashing (which there was none of to that point) and accusing others of driving people off the board - while actually trying to drive people off the board themselves.... that was/is waaaay out of line. And totally uncalled for.

:no:

Think of horsemanship as a buffet. You go to different clinics, read different opinions, take part in different activities/breeds/disciplines... at this "buffet" you take what appeals to you from this entree... maybe a little helping of that other entree - go back and get one of the appetizers... you sample and experiment with what balances out for you. Discard some... go back for seconds from others.... that is how you learn.

Dr. Reiner Klimke was once asked why he still took riding lessons - when he was an Olympic Gold Medallist, reknowned dressage rider/trainer/clinician etc. - he wisely noted that he was not done learning - that it never ends - and there was always something new to discover....

Anyway - back on topic.

Charlotte - I think I am a bit confused... I think you mentioned that Cash (love silver dapples!
default_wub.png
: ) was 4 months old - and yet he looks older than that in the photo... with his mane that long - and the look of his body....
default_unsure.png
:
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not read all of the other post- didnt need to as I was somewhat shocked at some of the 'help' I saw posted there.

WELCOME Charlotte and John! I have been quite busy so have been here very little the last couple of weeks.

I must say, I hope you have that picture printed and in your photo album or on the wall. That smile says it ALL- and they are cute little ones too!! You will get so much enjoyment from them! In regards to them being hard to catch- I think the four legged kids go through spells just like the 2 legged ones. We have had them go through 'phases' but in a bit they give it up and settle right down again. Wait til they are old enough to drive- you will have a BLAST!

You will find that the folks here on the Forum have so much knowledge, experience and great stories. I think at times we all become adamant about what we truly love- our horses. So, many times folks just agree to disagree and it's a great learning place for all. I have had horses (big ones til 1995 when I got into Minis and then phased out the last big one a year ago or so) and still surprize myself with learning new feeding hints, health things and other stuff here- besides just enjoying everyone's company. You will find a big variety of folks with a big variety of experience and ideas. Use what works for you. Just keep your horses health and best interest first and foremost, like I can see you are, and most times just the simple and common sense stuff works the best.

I did see your comment in regards to the future pasture seperation with a large area in between. Great idea- and that area in between could even become an arena or ...... ? Who knows???!

Have tons of fun with your 'kids' and we hope to hear a lot from you and see more pics!!

Your minis are so darn cute, you have the 'look of love' on your face. I am so happy to see you out enjoying them.

I spend most the day when im not working with them or cleaning something just out sitting watching them eat and play.

You are doing great! :bgrin
default_wub.png
:

Charlene for a minute there i thought you were talking about me LOL. except luckily at my house it's hubby that cooks
default_rolleyes.gif
:

wait just a darn minute! how do you manage that?? i gotta know your secret!!!

Latest posts

Back