Neverending Saga: The Easter Puppy Hunt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
It was a bad, sad week. Anything that didn’t have to happen did, and then times that by one million. Sigh. Among other more important things, my new book was supposed to be on the market by now, but the truth is, since Tracey is not underneath my desk on my feet, I haven’t been able to write a word and finish it. For some reason, “puppy†was on my mind, now more than ever. But then I remembered that I don’t really want a puppy.

I picked up the newspaper and sure enough, there were five adds for GSDs. Could this be my lucky day? Probably not, but I called each one. I was not impressed at the lack of knowledge on the other end of the phone with the first four ads, and they didn’t have what I wanted anyhow. Number five had to be better, and it was, a little bit anyhow. I liked the sound of the lady. She acted like she had what I wanted. Paydirt! This is it, maybe, and reluctantly, but I keep thinking that I don’t really want a puppy, but I could look. I am a very good looker of puppy litters.

I called the Hus who was already in town and asked him if we could just go look, only look. And here came that well known lecture: NO!

Huh? Just flat out no? Then it was followed by, “I’ll meet you down here at 1:00 pmâ€. Here goes me like a super nut, changing my clothes, applying makeup, of course my hoop earrings, never go anywhere without my hoop earrings, and my dress up version of sneakers, the ones without horse crap imbedded in them. I was styling. Dressed for success in record time. This could be it. This could really be it. Although I knew I didn’t really want a puppy, the thought of seeing puppies was appealing enough, so I was eager to take a harmless peek.

I rushed down the mountain and got into town, only to realize that I had forgotten my puppy supply basket, and the puke blanket for the backseat of the truck, just in case the baby that I am not getting is too big to sit on my lap. I flew into Wally World, grabbing a new pink receiving blanket, another collar and leash, and a few more puppy toys, and a bag of Purina puppy chow, which is what the puppies were eating.

I meet up with the Hus and sure enough, here came the next lecture: “I told you I wasn’t shopping for anymore puppies and this is the very last time.†I agreed, shaking my head “yes†After all, I’m done picking up puppy poop from my floors and wipping up puppy vomit, and puppy pee. Surely I am way too old to ever go through puppy training again. But just peeking couldn’t hurt I thought to myself. I’m and experienced peeker of puppies.

Hus was not enthusiastic and very tired and instructed me to drive while he slept. Big mistake. Very bad, big mistake and I told him it was. Nevertheless, he pointed South, no, North, no, East, West, whatever and I was on my way to someplace unknown and unheard of. The trip was boring until I reached the town and came to a really big bridge. I don’t do bridges. I pulled over and woke up the Hus “there’s a bridgeâ€â€¦â€¦.and expected him to change places with me and take over. He didn’t’ want to. He said he was sleeping and for me to go over the bridge, so I did. The bridge was approximately 1/8 of a mile long, and it took me more than 10 minutes to go over it. Yes, I know I was holding up a lot of traffic and eventually when someone slammed on the horn, Hus woke up to find us in the middle section of the bridge and here came the next lecture: “Step on it!†I didn’t wanna. “You are ticking people off, move it!†“I’m trying, go back to sleepâ€â€¦â€¦â€¦When I finally made it to the other side I pulled over to check the directions. Something was wrong, there was no bridge on the directions. I needed the cell phone. Where’s the cell phone? Oh no, not again……No cell phone. I turned around realizing where I think I messed up and had to go back over the bridge. I did it this time in less than 10 minutes because now I had experience with that bridge and nobody honked, shook their fists, or gave me that well known finger.

I finally found the road I needed, went 18 miles up that road, turned right onto another road, went 2 miles on that road, turned left, 4 miles on that road and then down some kind of really scary gulch. Now I was on a dirt drive of some kind, very long, very steep and winding, with cliffs on both sides. I couldn’t drive that any longer. “Hus, wake up, you have to drive. I’m going to kill us.â€

Problem was that there was no place for me to get out of the truck without me falling down a steep incline, so I had to continue to drive. Yikes. Turned out, it was the dog lady’s driveway.

“Wake up, we’re here.†“How much are these puppies here?†I told him, and he turned a shade of lobster red and asked me if I was out of my mind. I nodded in the affirmative direction. He handed me a check, and said this is the last time, ever he was taking me to look at puppies, and he was going to continue his nap. Geesh……

I was greeted by a whole load of fat, bouncing, loving, little puppies. Jumping, squealing, yapping, adorable little monsters. Ten little babies after my legs. I couldn’t walk. So I sat down on the ground and was covered in puppies all over me. Ahhhhhhhh This was bliss. This had to be it. My puppy was here. I knew it. But which one? The nice lady began helping me divide the females from the males and I narrowed it down to two. But before I went any further, I asked to see the parents.

The nice lady was very proud of the parents and was anxious for me to see them. And there they were, in a pen in the yard, with a homemade dog house in the middle of it, and some sort of make shift shelter from scraps in one corner. That was probably shelter for the puppies, I assumed. The parents were not what I wanted to see at all. The sire was black, solid black. He seemed very friendly and in good condition, but I didn’t like his conformation. It just was not what I wanted. He wasn’t for me. The mother dog was very small, very petite, extremely fine boned, and her conformation was way off from what I had in mind. If they were a quality dog, I didn’t see it. I also didn’t like her markings at all, her coloration for me, was not what I would call pretty or striking.

I turned back around because I had to. There they were, all ten little babies right there on my heels as if to say “pick me, pick me.†I went back to examine the mother and father again with a fine tooth comb, trying to find something, anything in either one of them that would make me want one of their puppies badly enough. But sorry to say, without falling head over heels and being terribly unimpressed with the parents, I had to pass this litter by. This was really hard, but I knew that if I didn’t like the parents, the puppy would not be the dog I wanted, opps, I mean the dog that I don’t want, right?

I went back out to the truck where Hus was snoring up a storm. I knew he was tired, but not this tired! Anyhow, I got in the truck and I was very sad, but not that disappointed for some reason. This time, and he woke up. “No puppy, again, right?†“Right.†And now he says “Come on, get a puppy, there’s a puppy in there for you, come on get a puppy.†And I shook my head, no. I cranked up the truck, here came yet the all time lecture: “This is the very last time I am going to take you to look at puppies, so if you don’t get one here, don’t ask me to take you any more places because this is it!†Yea, I know, I know, I know. Besides, I don’t want a puppy anyhow.

On the way home, it finally hit me like a ton of bricks. That the real reason that I can’t find the perfect puppy for me is because there really isn’t one. My Tracey, the one I had simply cannot be replaced. I can’t replace old memories with new ones if my heart isn’t in it. There will never be a dog with the right color, the right conformation, the right anything for me. I don’t know why it took me so long to figure that out.

As I pulled the truck up in the driveway, I could hear barking coming from inside the house. He knew we were home. We walked though the backdoor and was greeted by old Devin, the dog from he77, the dog had surgery that still looks like Frankendoggy. By the way, he’s doing fine and will be getting his stitches out this week. There he was wiggling from side to side, squealing in excitement that we were finally home. Awwww, I left the poor old completely housebroke, belligerent, arrogant, flesh eating monster doggy zilla all alone. Jumping, barking, so happy to see his mama and daddy. Sometimes all you really need is what is right in front of you, and you just don’t see it. [/size] [/font]

PUPPYFUN.jpg

newxmasmartytracy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AWWW Marty somehow I just can't imagine big ole people eating Devin wearing that pretty pink itty bitty collar and leash.

Take your time one of these days the time will be right and you will find the right puppy. Tracey will lead you to her.
default_wink.png
:

I still think you need a GSD puppy and I think she's out there and you will find her! It will hit you when you least expect it. Keep looking you know you really want one.I feel it I think you will find her next week-end.

Marty,

First, quit trying to 'replace' Tracy. It can't be done, and you don't want to anyway. Have you even thought about a different breed? I, personally, made a BIG mistake the last time I got a puppy. We had a yorkie that just stole our hearts! NEVER have we loved a dog more. We lost her at 7 yrs. of age. I got another yorkie and even tho I love him, I made a mistake. It's the 1st time I tried to 'replace' a dog. Always before we would get a totally different breed. And, the next puppy we get (yes, I'm sure there will be more) will be a different breed!

Pam

P.S. Keep lookin and I agree you will know and Tracy will help you. Tho they tear our hearts out when they leave us for awhile, the love they give IS worth it!!

When the right pup (or adult) GSD happens, you'll know in your heart and in your gut. Things will just "click". And I bet Tracey will have her paw involved in the process.
default_yes.gif
:

MA

Awww Marty. This is such a hard puppy hunt! It's breaking my heart over here in Montana
default_sad.png

I know that the right puppy will come along. One day you will look up and there she will be! And there won't be ANY reason why you can't have that perfect little puppy. Things will fall into place and there won't be any scarey bridges, or deep ravines. It will be a smooth easy road. With a beautiful little loving puppy waiting at the end with lots of slobbery kisses
default_wub.png
:

Marty, as I sit here at my desk, and stretch my legs, I bump into something. I look under there and see Shimmer as she lays at my feet all stretched out sleeping, so sweet and innocent, and I smile. I am SOOOOOO in love with this new pup....I really am.
default_wub.png
:

I was not really sure I wanted another dog either, but my Mom kept saying she just couldn't picture us without another "big" dog. It was because of that, I began searching dilligently for our new baby. Now that she's here, I can honestly say, I couldn't be happier.

She will never "replace" Baylee, just as Baylee could never replace Baron, but each dog that comes into our lives, finds a new, untouched, and special place in our hearts, saved just for them. You'll find that out Marty, just as soon as you pick out and bring home, your special new baby.
default_yes.gif
:

Keep lookin and I agree you will know and Tracy will help you. Tho they tear our hearts out when they leave us for awhile, the love they give IS worth it!!

Ditto! there will NEVER be another Tracey, but that is as it should be. if she could be replaced that easily, she wouldn't be her special self.
default_wub.png
: she will always be there in your heart.
default_wub.png
: but in your house and yard... another, different, but also very special dog. and i love hearing about your husband... i can just see mine doing the same thing. he told me no more donkeys - well, he told me specifically that i could not BUY any more donkeys. so we had a baby girl donkey born and what does he say? "congratulations mommy". no arguments about keeping her... thank God!!!

awwww marty i can hear in you that tracey is pulling at your heart, youve lost so much
default_sad.png

there will be another dog out there for you, you just havent found it yet
default_unsure.png
: maybe go for a different breed? then it wont be a constant reminder of how much its NOT like tracey all the time.......i bet some day soon we willl be hearing all about this weee doggy of yours,so dont throw out the puppy goods just yet! {{{{hugs}}}}

When my best friend died my husband wanted to run out and get me another JRT, which is what Tasha was. He almost did it behind my back.......took me on an "errand" instead. Of course it was to look at at litter of JRT's. I really liked the mom, she was sooooooo cool! There was one puppy that I took a shine to but he was "reserved" for a friend. So we left, and I told my husband that I didn't want another JRT because I didn't want to compare it to Tasha all the time. She was special and can never be replaced. The answer came out of the blue one day at work......our supervisor had a litter of Cairn terriers, which is one of the "alternate" breeds I was looking for. Now we have our very special Cami who has filled a big hole in my heart. Marty......when it's right it will happen. And I don't think for a minute that Hubby won't take you shopping again!

My Sam could NEVER be replaced, so I just did not try.

Like you I toyed with the idea of a puppy- then I realised, after having a puppy for re-homing- I just plain do not WANT a puppy!!

So, no more dogs for me, I have two Dobes and a little dog why do I need another??

You know what, Marty, sometimes we just do not get what we want, and we don't get what we don't want, too!!!

So came a phone call- "Would I take Rupert??"

I went to see him- he was NOT the dog for me.

He was too strange (he looked like an alien)

He was too old (he was five).

He was just NOT the dog for me.

So, the next day I went back and picked him up.

He tried to eat my stallion- but he got it in one that that was not allowed!!

He tried to eat my older bitch who is his Aunty.

It took two goes to make him realise that was not allowed.

He looked like a walking skeleton- apparently he only ate now and again (he came with a bag of the most expensive dog food in the world!!)

He could not even jump a stick on the ground.

Then Sam stepped in.

First thing this dog did not answer to his name "Rupert" so, somehow he got renamed.

Now he is Sam.

He can clear four foot with ease, and does so with joy in his eyes.

He is fat and glossy and wolfs his food down, he eats the same as my bitches and he leaps and barks when it is teatime.

He is safe to run in the horse field, unattended.

Bunnies are his prey, not foals.

He roams at large, barking at squirrels.

This dog fills my heart.

But, Dear Marty, I did NOT go looking for him, he came to me.

Sit still, sit quiet, and wait.

Stop looking.

Somewhere a dog is waiting.

All it takes is time.

Marty, I agree with Rabbitsfizz. I beleive you will get another dog, and when the time is right it will happen. No, it will not be Tracey, but it will be your new friend, your new companion. Enjoy Devon, the time and dog will come. Until then, when you feel the need to go smell puppy breath, go look at those cutties.

So, are you still going on an adventure April 14th?

Have you ever stopped to think that it may not be "you looking for a puppy/dog"...it may be a puppy/dog may be looking for YOU!

I know this isn't a dog... but I had a cat that was very much like a dog.... she was very protective(would growl and stand up on her back legs when someone came to the door), loved me and never acted like a true cat.

Years ago she wanted to go outside.... this was only the second time since we lived in our new home that she ever wanted to go out.... I couldn't get her to come back in... I searched and searched for her....

I heard a gun shot that night not thinking it could have anything to do with her.

I went to work the next day and had to leave early I just couldn't stand it.. I had to find her. I went back on my neighbors property with my husbands hunting scope... sitting on a hill looking through this scope I found her three houses over... we each have 5 + acres so it was pretty far. I run through breyers and weeds crying all the way with my sheltie at my heels.... (she had grown up with Homey(my cat).... I get to this house and there she is.. with a gunshot. I just dropped to me knees I couldn't believe it. My precious girl was gone. I scooped her up screaming and crying all the way to the property owners house.. I knocked and knocked and yelled. They wouldn't come to the door. I knew they knew.

So I struggled to get home with her in my arms. I had lost one of my very best friends.

That very month I was at Petsmart and passed the cats up for adoption. I see this one cat in the corner looking so depressed, but still kept eye contact with me as to say please help.. she was so tiny. I've never seen a full grown cat this small. A miniature kitty.

I go home and tell my husband... of course, he said no, but he gave in.

I go back Christmas eve and got her.... I find out she had been in that cage looking out that glass window for over a month. I found out why she wasn't adopted... she went crazy when we picked her up to put her in the crate.

Fast forward...... she is the most loving, sweet, cat and acts a lot like Homey. I can pick her up now. She doesn't act like the same cat at all. I know she was meant to live with me. We named her Mia.

There is never a replacement for Homey. Just as there will never be a replacement for any of our animals. Mia has brought so much joy to my life especially, at a time when I needed it the most.

I think about you often Marty. The right time will come and as many times as your husband says no... he will still give in when the times right.
default_smile.png

Kim

aww, Marty....((((HUGS))))

I'm with rabbitsfizz and the rest too....but I know it's not easy to NOT look. I had wanted a Cardi for about 10 years....looked at some litters with my friend (she even came and picked me up when I was at school to take me to a farm that had puppies!!! lol), and though in that time I found one that I really, really desperately wanted....it wasn't the right time (and a so called 'friend' bought my pick of the litter just to tick me off, but that's another story). It was almost 2 years ago, when this same friend who took me to see the other litter got an email from a breeder saying he had puppies and what they were. She forwarded the email to me, and all I saw was brindle bitch....I told her, I don't even want to go look....but July 1st came and off we go to look at puppies...I didn't tell anyone where I was going, because I was gonna be in big doo-doo if they found out! Get to the breeders, only 2 puppies not spoken for, both female, one brindle, one black & white with brindle points.....BUT he wanted to keep the brindle (he told my friend this before we went up)....I looked them over (there was also a tri male that he wasn't 100% sure he had a home for, but nope, no males for me).

I said I realllllllllyyyyyyy like the brindle girl. He thought it over for a few minutes...and agreed to sell her to me. My friend tried talking me out of it, as he had another litter on the way a month later....but nope...this was the one I wanted....and now look at where I am!!! lol Travelling all over the place with a show dog!!! :eek: :bgrin :bgrin I think that's the closest I've been to being kicked out of the house though!!! LMAO But Dad is one of Moxie's big supporters now!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: :bgrin

The right puppy will find you Marty.....I know it will!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

~kathryn

Oh and my very first Sheltie bitch??

I went to get a Blue Merle bitch - six months, ideal.

When I turned around the tri colour pup had jumped into the carrier and snuggled down.

So she came home with me and I never regretted it!!!

You'll find her, Marty. Or rather, you'll find each other. Maybe she just isn't

there yet for you to find.

I wanted a Saluki for 15 years, and looked seriously for two years. I finally found her

when I attended Saluki Nationals in 1993, she was 10 weeks old and in a van with her

litter brothers. People that had deposits on the litter were to choose their

puppies during that week. I knew as soon as I saw her little face that she was the one.

I knew that she was mine. The last gal was flying in that evening to make her choice.

I went to bed at the hotel that night and dreamed that this beautiful little bitch was mine.

The next morning I got to the show before the breeders and could hardly wait for them to

arrive and tell me I could have my little girl. When they arrived, they told me that they

had decided to keep the girl. They had flown to Germany with the dam to get the breeding

and she was the only girl in the litter and they had decided to keep her as well as a male.

I felt like somebody had punched me in the stomach. The entire universe was wrong! I just

KNEW in my heart and in my gut that she was supposed to be mine!!!

I looked at other puppies during that week, finally left, cried all the way home from Kentucky

and tried to forget about her.

Anyway, two weeks later, at 9:30 pm on a Friday night the phone rang. It was a local handler

that had introduced me to the breeders at the show. A series of events had taken place after

I left the show, and they were taking back an older bitch of their breeding that had been removed

from the owner due to negligence and so had decided

they would part with the little girl. She would finally be mine!

Well...not so simple. We made arrangements to meet in Cleveland, which we figured was

the halfway point between WV and MI. But now the owner of the other bitch was threatening

not to sign off on the papers, get an attorney, etc .and so every day it changed...I could have

her, I couldn't have her. I will never forget the roller coaster ride I was on emotionally during

that week! I received a phone call the day before I was to meet them telling me they just

could not part with her. I hung up and just lost it and decided I was "done". Ten minutes later

the phone rang again and I answered it in tears to be told by the breeder that she just could

not do this to me. So I went to Cleveland and picked her up the next morning.

I named her Desert Rose Dreams Come True, because I had dreamed she was mine, and now

she truly was.

Trulee is now 14 years young and is my heart dog. And I gained some lifelong friends in her

breeders as well.

Am.Can. Ch. Desert Rose Dreams Come True

IMAG001.JPG

Best of luck to you...

Shelley

Back