Neighbors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitter Patter

Reaction score
I could use some "neighborly" advice...I was at work yesterday and my son told me he called 911 because somebody in a big, black pick up truck parked alongside my property where all my animals are. He said they were yelling at the animals and revving the engine to scare them. We really don't have much of a police presence here due to budget cuts (I live outside small rural village and we share a part time deputy between two villages). Police said nothing we can do unless they actually trespass. Thinking of putting up trail cams. That would only help after the fact though. Any ideas? It's a small private dirt road. Told my son he can always let our dogs out, but they would likely go and do something that would get them shot or me in jail. I will have to put up no trespassing signs (again) this spring, but other than these, any creative ideas that are both legal and non-lethal?

Jeez, you can't get a break, can you! I'd say security cameras or trail cameras to get a license plate number. Maybe beware of dog signs? Even if your dogs aren't super ferocious that'd help?

Good luck!

I agree with also "Smile you're on Camera" signs. Especially if you can put them on a post not the fence to make them more visible to cars. That really sucks that you have to deal with that.

We are rural also and rely on county deputies who's base is 10 + miles away. HOWEVER, it doesn't hurt to let them know when you've had some trouble, so they are at least "aware".......

Several years ago we had someone come by and open a gate EVERY NIGHT at abt 10 p.m. .... The gate was just up the driveway a few hundred feet. We never saw but started hearing the type of vehicle and eventually called the County Police. A deputy came and took our report and saw that it was a gate latch that was NOT easy to undo so it was obvious someone had to have made the effort. (And yes, we had horses get out, but fortunately they ran INTO our property and not out to the road.) As a result to filing the report and the deputy seeing the situation, a deputy was assigned to drive down our road on his evening route around 10 p.m. for about 2 weeks. We also put a lock on the gate for awhile. We all suspected it was young people just getting off work or something and with that bit of effort on our part (and the county deputy's part) it all stopped.

First let me just say that unfortunately "Beware of Dog" signs are a liability. If anything happens people will use it to say you know and admit to having aggressive dogs

Yes to "your on camera" signs or trail cameras. You wouldn't believe what I've seen caught on various trail cameras over the years.

Too bad about your police force. I know all too well about budget cuts and departments too small to effectively handle the area they are assigned. But calling and saying you'd like to file a statement is a good idea incase this escalates.

Thanks for all the great advice!! I love the camera idea, even if it was a dummy camera with a sign! I used to have beware of dog signs up and they deteriorated. Will get more. I only know that in my area, you must post beware of dog signs if you have a dog because it lets a trespasser know they might encounter trouble. If the dog then bites a trespasser it helps the property owner. I have a two out of three dogs likely to bite as they are very protective. So more signs I guess.Ithas been a rough several months to be sure! Can't wait for summer though. Hoping for better things for everyone! Police were alerted so I guess if anyone decides to cross that line we can possibly move on trespass charges. Just don't want to start with neighbors. I hate feeling like I can't get along. Most people are pretty good around here.

Here's ANOTHER angle..... Let your neighbors know that there was a strange big black truck parked along side your place and it creeped you out. Suggest to them that they keep their eye out in case it comes back..........Also, let them know that the police were informed, "just in case". Oh, and tell them that you're getting a trail Cam, on the advice of friends and Gee....maybe THEY should get one too? <smile>

I could use some "neighborly" advice...I was at work yesterday and my son told me he called 911 because somebody in a big, black pick up truck parked alongside my property where all my animals are. He said they were yelling at the animals and revving the engine to scare them. We really don't have much of a police presence here due to budget cuts (I live outside small rural village and we share a part time deputy between two villages). Police said nothing we can do unless they actually trespass. Thinking of putting up trail cams. That would only help after the fact though. Any ideas? It's a small private dirt road. Told my son he can always let our dogs out, but they would likely go and do something that would get them shot or me in jail. I will have to put up no trespassing signs (again) this spring, but other than these, any creative ideas that are both legal and non-lethal?
Do you have Nextdoor, an online social media area just for your neighborhood? You can post what you saw and it would go to all the neighbors that use Nextdoor. If you don't have one, you could always start one! For example, ours goes out to approximately 1200 people in a 10-mile radius. It's not just for posting alerts or warnings. Let me know if you give it a try! (We wanted someone to take our manure!)

Do you have Nextdoor, an online social media area just for your neighborhood? You can post what you saw and it would go to all the neighbors that use Nextdoor. If you don't have one, you could always start one! For example, ours goes out to approximately 1200 people in a 10-mile radius. It's not just for posting alerts or warnings. Let me know if you give it a try! (We wanted someone to take our manure!)
Never heard of it. In 10 miles we may have only about 50 people at most. Given a few of the personalities I don't know if it would be a good idea or not. Will have to give that one some though! Good idea!

Here's ANOTHER angle..... Let your neighbors know that there was a strange big black truck parked along side your place and it creeped you out. Suggest to them that they keep their eye out in case it comes back..........Also, let them know that the police were informed, "just in case". Oh, and tell them that you're getting a trail Cam, on the advice of friends and Gee....maybe THEY should get one too? <smile>
Good idea! Pretty sure it is a neighbor so this would put them on notice :)

Latest posts

Back