Needing some advice for our remaining horse(we lost our boy today)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I have been in that 'dark place' many times in the last 50 years and it never gets any easier, especially when one so young is involved.

Sending you and your little girl ((((HUGS)))) and healing thoughts.

The others are right, it never gets easier to lose someone. Especially when another of your animals is grieving over the loss as well! I'm glad your mare was there when he passed as she'll have a better understanding of what happened and won't be waiting for him to magically come back. That said, she's going to be very lonely and confused and upset for some time and will be counting on you to help her through this. Talk to her. Explain to her what happened and what you're planning on doing (getting her another buddy, etc.) and spend time with her one-on-one grooming or taking her for walks to give her solace. Do things she likes and if she's completely alone now, there's nothing wrong with a little comfort food to help keep her busy in the short-term. I gave my guys small frequent meals to distract them from their grief when my big horse died in 2010 and it seemed to help. Depending on her personality she may want another buddy right away or she may adjust and do fine after awhile; you're the only one who can make that call but I know (and she knows) that you'll do the right thing whatever that may be.

So sorry for your loss!

Leia

So sorry for your loss... I've been there too.
default_sad.png
Did the vet have an idea what caused him to colic? Most often it's just one horse who happens to be prone to impaction or didn't drink enough, etc but it's always a good idea to take a close look at what they are eating & be sure there's not a problem with any of your hay or feed, or that they aren't getting into questionable weeds...just consider everything. I've had several colics over the years that resulted in surgery and have one mare who is very prone to colic, so I have become ultra vigilant about what they are fed & have access to.

Hope your little mare is able to have a buddy again - and depending on her personality, she may or may not like her new companion at first so you might need to have a way to let them get acquainted safely.

Jan

So sorry for your loss... I've been there too.
default_sad.png
Did the vet have an idea what caused him to colic? Most often it's just one horse who happens to be prone to impaction or didn't drink enough, etc but it's always a good idea to take a close look at what they are eating & be sure there's not a problem with any of your hay or feed, or that they aren't getting into questionable weeds...just consider everything. I've had several colics over the years that resulted in surgery and have one mare who is very prone to colic, so I have become ultra vigilant about what they are fed & have access to.

Hope your little mare is able to have a buddy again - and depending on her personality, she may or may not like her new companion at first so you might need to have a way to let them get acquainted safely.

Jan
No he didn't when he left on monday, his vitals were strong, only a slight fever.. he felt he wasn't bad off at all... he has impacted before he wasn't even 6mths when it first happened, we adjusted all our feeds then.. from grain right down to hay. At the time of his first impaction the vet had wondered if there was an underlying cause.. perhaps something with his insides..(sorry i know he used other words but they fail me today)

He's always been a good drinker and they are kept on a lovely grass hay... his grain feeds were also done in a method to keep hydration and ease of digestion as a priority. We always felt he'd be one lost to colic but just not so soon.
no.gif

My mare is doing ok so far, she's eating, drinking and functioning as she should.. there is a sadness in the air of coarse... and i feel just awful... it was the worst thing to take one feed bucket out and not have him whinnie at me as i rounded the corner as he did every morning. My younger kids don't start school till next week so we're all rotating on checking on her, we'll probably take her out to graze later today as i doubt she will move to the grazing paddock alone.

Our breeder was helpful, he said she should be ok but it would be better if we got her another friend she's always been with other horses well him and said he'd be more than glad to help us find one. I am concerned how she would react to a new horse but she was never nasty.. but at just upping 2.5yrs that seems like an awfully lonley life for such a young one.. if we don't try
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The others are right, it never gets easier to lose someone. Especially when another of your animals is grieving over the loss as well! I'm glad your mare was there when he passed as she'll have a better understanding of what happened and won't be waiting for him to magically come back. That said, she's going to be very lonely and confused and upset for some time and will be counting on you to help her through this. Talk to her. Explain to her what happened and what you're planning on doing (getting her another buddy, etc.) and spend time with her one-on-one grooming or taking her for walks to give her solace. Do things she likes and if she's completely alone now, there's nothing wrong with a little comfort food to help keep her busy in the short-term. I gave my guys small frequent meals to distract them from their grief when my big horse died in 2010 and it seemed to help. Depending on her personality she may want another buddy right away or she may adjust and do fine after awhile; you're the only one who can make that call but I know (and she knows) that you'll do the right thing whatever that may be.

So sorry for your loss!

Leia
I believe your right. He died in his barn with his best friend beside him.. My older daughter was there when he passed as i had left to the house to frantically call help... She seems fairly steady.. as i said in another post eating/drinking etc.. It's all so sad.. they were so cute together and he shouldn't be gone so young.
sad.gif
This is going to be a very diffucult path for all of us.....

This is just my opinion, but I think she'd do well with another horse, provided it wasn't an older mare -- already set in her "way" that might challenge your young mare. Perhaps another young mare or a young gelding -- something where she can still maintain her status, and not be challenged by someone new.

It may also help lift the sadness -- not the memory, as you will always remember him -- but giving everyone something new may be the answer for everyone.

Just a thought.
Yes, that is what our breeder said, something younger a gelding or another mare. We're in the process of trying to find something. Sadly, we're not in a good position at the moment in way of funds to purchase another horse.. as clearly this was not our intent to at this time, however we will make every effort possible so violet can have companionship.

I hope you & your family and the young mare are doing better today.
Thanks. My mare is doing ok, she's eating.. she's restless though... times like this i wish we owned more horses. I am struggling .. it was so hard to do morning chores without him there to feed and touch. My oldest child(who was with him to) is dealing with all sorts of feelings.. she's angry.. and hurting. We're all in disbelief i suppose..

This was to soon to have to let go.
no.gif

OH Gosh, it hurts like hel. I know and only time will help. There is no explanation as to why he had to go so young, it is just darn right WRONG. (((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

Have you thought about getting a rescue? There are plenty of mini's out there that could do with your help, maybe you could contact CMHR and ask them if they have a youngster that you could give a loving and caring home to. You help them and they help you! I think a new friend would keep you all busy and help your hearts start to mend. No horse will replace your boy but it would help a little.

I send you hugs and you will be in my prayers.

Renee

OH Gosh, it hurts like hel. I know and only time will help. There is no explanation as to why he had to go so young, it is just darn right WRONG. (((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

Have you thought about getting a rescue? There are plenty of mini's out there that could do with your help, maybe you could contact CMHR and ask them if they have a youngster that you could give a loving and caring home to. You help them and they help you! I think a new friend would keep you all busy and help your hearts start to mend. No horse will replace your boy but it would help a little.

I send you hugs and you will be in my prayers.

Renee
Thank you. I am unaware of any rescues near me. I'll have to see if there are.

so sorry to hear about your loss, I hope for the very best for you and your mare, sorry

Latest posts

Back