Needing some advice for our remaining horse(we lost our boy today)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking small

Reaction score
no.gif
sad.gif

Our pair was 2yrs from The start of June. They were from the same breeder, kept together when by there mares sides and then kept together after they were weaned and brought here.

Our stallion.. went into colic.. he has done this before impaction. The vet was out yesterday.. we couldn't save him, he died this morning..
crybaby.gif

They were a bonded pair stalled together.. kept together as i said since the start.. i don't know what we're supposed to do? She was there when he died.. of coarse.. we're going to contact our breeder later today and seek advice but felt perhaps some of you could advise on what we do for her..

This is just devastating... we're all just so sick.. i can barely pull words together.. Our mare is restless ... we're extremely worried.. and no we have no other horses, these were it.

Thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Or could very well be in foal for this year.

Did you give the mare a chance to say good bye? Such as let her be with his body for awhile before you took him away?

I am very sorry for your loss. It's very sad when one so close is gone. But, you have said that they were 2 year olds this June? As two year olds, they are both old enough, and it's possible your mare may be in foal to this stallion, since she would have been cycling for most of the summer, I would assume. I would watch for symptoms of pregnancy for a foal next spring.

I hope you are able to find her another friend -- perhaps from your breeder friend, or here on the LB sale board.

Again, sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
Thank you. I have no idea.. we will certainly keep an eye. I don't know what we do for her, as we never been in this postion. My mother had horses for decades but only a single horse as she boarded. We're hoping the breeder can advise. He was a lovely, lovely horse.. i mean i know we all think that about our own but as a stallion he was so tolerant never a problem...

sorry i just feel at such a loss here. He was fine just last week, my mother said that is how colic is.. so unfair.

Sorry for your loss. Colic can be quick if it's severe. You're mare will need companionship at some point as horses are social animals. She'll likely be a tad depressed too - her best bud just died. We've had horses die over the years here, and they seem to take it well if they're around to watch it/see it occur. There are also different reactions (the person that said horses don't have personalities - OMG wrong!).

You might want to consider a gelding as a companion to her. That way you can send her out for breeding and control breeding/foaling dates.

Best of luck and again sorry for your loss.

Thank. Yes, i think a gelding would be best, she's definitely an alpha mare.. she really was the boss over him lol she's a B mini, he's a A. I have no idea on aging though? I'm glad to hear it helps if there present for the death.. i feel so badly for her. We're checking on her often...

Last edited by a moderator:
so sorry for your loss , most of us on here have been through such loses and know just how low you are feeeling
default_sad.png

Our sympathy. I am sure you are just numb right now. Just too, too bad
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
Thank you. I feel like a truck as hit me. I just cannot believe he is gone. Only a week ago(less even) he was perfectly fine. I keep going out to check on our mare.. she seems ok.. agitated.. she whinnied at me.. when i came around the side of the propertly(viewable from the barn) she never did that before.. HE always did, he was the talker.. she almost never made a sound..

I'm just ill.

I'm SO very sorry you lost your boy!
default_crybaby.gif

I know how much it hurts. It's going to hurt for a very long time. I wish I could give you and you mare a big hug. Are there any breeders near by who might loan you a mini to be a friend to her? Wish I were closer, I would!

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Sorry for your loss. We lost our boy about two months ago now, it still hurts. You should definitely get her a buddy when you can. It will help you and her move on and heal better.

Angie

So very sorry to hear of the loss of your little stallion. I know the heartbreak you are feeling all too well. We lost a 6 year old, never been sick a day in his life Friesian gelding to an impaction colic last summer & I am now just barely able to talk about it. I felt so bad for my other big boy as he no longer had a buddy for mutual grooming. He would look over the fence at the mules a ways down & I felt so sorry for him. Our minis also were very close to him. It was heartbreaking for all of us.

If it is possible I think a new addition would help your little mare. We evenutally did add another Friesian gelding & they have all all adjusted very well. You can love another even if you will never forget the one you lost. RIP little guy!

Nol-Dus W. AKA: Little Bubba 2/21/2004 - 7/18/2010. You were such a good boy!

Nol-Dus W.jpg

So very sorry to hear of the loss of your little stallion. I know the heartbreak you are feeling all too well. We lost a 6 year old, never been sick a day in his life Friesian gelding to an impaction colic last summer & I am now just barely able to talk about it. I felt so bad for my other big boy as he no longer had a buddy for mutual grooming. He would look over the fence at the mules a ways down & I felt so sorry for him. Our minis also were very close to him. It was heartbreaking for all of us.

If it is possible I think a new addition would help your little mare. We evenutally did add another Friesian gelding & they have all all adjusted very well. You can love another even if you will never forget the one you lost. RIP little guy!

Nol-Dus W. AKA: Little Bubba 2/21/2004 - 7/18/2010. You were such a good boy!

View attachment 3348

He was gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. We will get our mare someone, it would be totally unfair for her not to have that, they enjoyed each other greatly. I have such a pit in my stomach not only for my own feelings but for her's... it was just so sad..

Sorry for your loss. We lost our boy about two months ago now, it still hurts. You should definitely get her a buddy when you can. It will help you and her move on and heal better.

Angie
I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, we will be on the phone to our breeder tonight for advice, i'm sure he will be saddened by his passing, he was out of one of his stallions...

I'm SO very sorry you lost your boy!
default_crybaby.gif

I know how much it hurts. It's going to hurt for a very long time. I wish I could give you and you mare a big hug. Are there any breeders near by who might loan you a mini to be a friend to her? Wish I were closer, I would!

{{{{Hugs}}}}
Thank you. There will always be a hole left, i cannot imagine not being able to touch and hear him again.. i don't know if there are... we're going to contact ours(breeder) tonight. I feel so robbed, he was so young.. it's so unfair.

Latest posts

Back