Need to seed a horse pasture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelley

Reaction score
Our pasture has not done well for quite awhile, just does not seem to have much grass and has a lot of weeds-plus this hot dry summer was hard on it. I want to put in something that will be good for my miniatures and big horses, we take turns rotating them in and out on it. What would you suggest planting, as I hear this is the time of year to seed, and can it just be spread on top and do well or do I need to hire someone to come in and actually plant it? Do we need to fertilize when we seed?

I second what Marsha said. I would prefer bermuda grass. But my soil won't support it so I have (or had) bluestem. But I don't know what grows good inyour area.

AND you will probably need to keep them off of it for a while to let it get started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your profile doesnt say where you live and that makes a huge difference. Make sure whatever seed you buy has the lowest weed seed amount possible. All grass seed has some weed seed but some are better than others.

Be careful with fertilizers are some are too strong for horses.

Latest posts

Back