Need something for my daughter's hair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph_D

Reaction score
Poor Courtney has always had very curly hair. She just got back from traveling with her daddy and now it's really dry and getting tangled BAD. She had 2 HUGE knots in it tonight that took forever to get out. I'm wondering if y'all could suggest something that we could put in her hair, like for frizz or whatever, that would help to tame it down?? Right now she's using Infusium 23 shampoo, conditioner, and leave in treatment. This stuff is helping better than anything we've ever used, but it could still use some improvement.

Here's a pic to let you know what I'm dealing with. She's always taken very good care of her hair, but things went downhill while she was gone
default_unsure.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter has similar hair and we use Garnier Fructis in it. Bright green bottles and they have special shampoo and conditioner just for frizz. She loves it. Something else to try if you have the patience to do it for her or if she is old enough to do it herself, is a straightening iron. That has been my daughters lifesaver adn best friend for the last couple of years.

My hubby and my youngest have that tight tight curl(hubby more so) they use infusium- especially the leave in treatment- I think the intense conditioner really works the best though- and then use the leave in treatment as a daily maintaince thing.

Steph, in Walmart they have John Freida's Frizz Ease collection. I personally like the clear syrum that you just put a drop in your hand and run it through your hair. I use it especially in the hot and humid months here where the humidity is horrendous. Here's a link...they have quite a collection without breaking the bank. http://www.johnfrieda.com/products/product...se&lineID=4

Thanks ladies! I knew I could count on this group to give me some good advice. Her hair is so curly :eek: When she was about 2 years old, people would ask me if I had permed her hair. The only reason it's not any curlier now is because of the weight. Her hair looked worse last night than I'd ever seen it before, but she was in many different climates with her daddy and it definately took it's toll.

We're heading to Wal Mart today so I'll look into some of the products that y'all suggested. Thanks again!

Well, what do ya know? I just checked WalMart.com and they have a free sample of the Frizz-Ease :aktion033: It can take up to 4 weeks to get here and I think I might go ahead and get some today, but anything FREE is definately nice
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steph -

I'm 31 years old, and my hair is a lot like your daughters, just not quite so long now. Anyway, I think I have tried just about everything under the sun, from very expensive salon products to whatever they have at Wal-Mart or wherever.

I've also found the Infusium line to be the BEST! I like the Frizz-Ease serum, too, but haven't had much success with the rest of their product line. The Frizz Ease serum does kind of make my hair flat, though - not that I want it to be wild and bushy and all over the place, but sometimes it just makes it look kinda weird, and I am careful not to use too much. It does help with frizz though, and it does FEEL soft when I use it. And lots less tangles on the underside. So it's definitely worth a shot!

BTW, I've learned never even to deal with my hair when it's dry. I don't even attempt to brush it out unless it's wet and freshly conditioned. And it never fails, an hour after that I have new tangles on the underside!

Good luck, though - I think her hair is pretty on her!

I know you might laugh but the horse spray for shine also works... :eek:

Yep it does!! I use it regulary on my hair. If you take a shower then spray in on your hair and brush it out it gives no knots. It has also straightened my hair out a bit (temporary of a day or so) and I have semi-curly hair but it has a lot of body. It also makes hair nice and shiny and smooth.

~Megan

Hi!

I'm 34 and had very thick but very fine hair and my hair tangles extremly easy and has curl to it. My hair was so thick & heavy I finally had it layerd. I don't know if you've thought about that. A good hair dresser is important. I also can NOT use most conditionars, they won't work and my hair is a rats nest! The ONLY conditionar that works for my hair is (and I buy a gallon of it on e-bay, the cheapest!!).. is Matrix biologe conditionar. It's the ONLY thing that will let me get a brush threw my hair!

And I use matrix gelee after I wash & condition & towel my hair. Otherwise my hair is UNMANAGEABLE and a major frize bomb! So I put a handful of the gelee in my hair and then use a towel and cremp up my hair to make it curly and will either let it dry on its own or will use a defuser and make my hair very curly that way. I can't or don't dare try to blow dry my hair dry or let my hair dry or use a blow dryer with NOTHING in my hair..... total FRIZ!!!!! So I just buy all my hair stuff on e-bay otherwise I could NEVER afford it. But I LOVE my hair layered now......

Oh man I feel for the kid. For reference sake, here is a little pic of me--you can see how long and curly my hair is.

th_Amyhair400.jpg

I alternate between Matrix Biolage and Paul Mitchell's Awapuhi Moisture for shampoo/conditioner and between Awapuhi Moisture Mist and Infusium as a leave in. My hair is so dry that I can't use a blow dryer at all and even professionals try to straighten my hair and it is frizzed and poofed up 20 minutes later. I throw conditioner in my hair and comb it through with a thick, wide toothed comb. When I get out of the shower I wrap it in a towel for about 10 minutes and then use the leave in or Awapuhi mist. I LOVE the fruictise spray gel--spray it in, finger comb, straighten my bangs and off I go. Of course even with all that all bets are off with the heat and humidity! For right now, you might start her off with a trim to cut off the dead ends and start with healthy hair again.
default_smile.png

-Amy

Thanks all. I do admit that I'm a little jealous of her hair. Mine has always been fine and thin and I hate it. Courtney got her daddy's hair, curly and thick
default_yes.gif
: I went to Wal Mart the other day to get some Frizz Ease but just couldn't justify paying that much for such a tiny bottle of stuff. I'll wait until I get the free sample to see if it works or not. I did get a bottle of Pantene frizz control so hopefully it'll work. I very rarely (maybe once a year) use a hair dryer on her hair and have never used a straightening iron. Usually she'll take a shower at night, let it towel dry for a while, then comb it out and braid it. She braids it every night, otherwise it would be nearly impossible to brush out in the morning. Before her hair got nowhere near this long, it would take me an hour to get it all combed out and looking decent :eek:

I do trim her hair about every couple of months, especially when it starts to frizz pretty bad. I usually end up taking off about an inch or so when I trim it and it helps a lot. She absolutely does not want it layered or cut any shorter than just a trim :no: It's looking better since I trimmed it just a few days ago. I think a lot of the problem was the travelling. She dealt with different climates (from Texas to New York and lots in between) and different types of water, not to mention I don't think she was getting it combed out good.

Amy, I would LOVE to have your hair! So beautiful!!

I have curly hair and here in FL the humidity can make it one big frizz ball! I use Pantene Anti Frizz Serum and LOVE IT. I also use another anti frizz serum in a green bottle....ummm Sunsilk de-frizz. I'll also put in a leave in conditioner like infusium or pantene has one before I go to bed. It really helps. I think MANY people would covet your daughters hair!!!! It's gorgeous!!
default_yes.gif
:

She absolutely does not want it layered or cut any shorter than just a trim :no:
She just may change her mind on that some day
default_wink.png
: My oldest with similar hair is 13 now and when she turned 11, she started getting it shorter, just above the shoulder. Twelve, even shorter, and oh my gosh, she got it cut soooo short this weekend! When she was 10 and younger she would have NEVER EVER considered any shorter cut!! Her hair was down below her bottom until about that age, too! My life has sure been a lot easier since she was about 11 and cut so much of it off.
default_yes.gif
: Still have to pay for product, but at least I don't get screamed at for pulling knots anymore! LOL! :eek:

I too have very frizzy hair. Seems the older I get, the curlier it gets
default_sad.png
. I just usually wear mine braided all the time. My husband will use the flat iron on it, and that makes it very soft and silky. The Frizz Ease works, but you have to use a small amount, or her hair will look oily. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Hey Steph,

I have naturely curly hair. It is a pain to deal with because of the frizz. I have used the frizz eaze drops and they don't work on my hair as good as some of the professional products that cost $15.00 for a tiny bottle. The key is to find a really good gloss serum (or drop). The gloss products add shine to the hair. And funny, but it is the shine products that also allow hair to detangle easier becuase the serum smooths the hair cuticle and in the prossess a smooth hair cuticle allows the hair to detangle easier.

You use a very tiny amount and gently rub it into the hair. I use this with wet hair, but it can be done with dry as well. With my hair I have used Paul Mitchell and Nexus products at times. Currently I am using the Joico K-PAK Protect & Shine Serum (2 pumps for my slightly longer than shoulder length hair) because I couldn't find my favorite in the salon which used to carry it. My favorite is the "Girl Toys" serum made by BedHead and use it when I can find it (1 pump for my slightly longer than shoulder length hair). Plus it comes in a neat looking round bottle and smells like fruit. Here is the link to the manufacturer's sight: http://tigihaircare.us/tigi/bedhead/archiv.../girl-toys.aspx

So do give the shine serums a try. They can make the hair look stringy if too much is used, but I find that they do so much better at helping to detangle than just conditioners alone. And the easiest way to try them is by going to the salon and asking about them. Many times the salons will have a return policy which will let you bring it back if it doesn't work well with her hair.
default_wink.png
: (Hair Masters here in my area lets me return the product if I hate it.)

Back