Need some ideas - colt dumping feed and water buckets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a few like this. My stalls are designed so I can attach the bucket with 3 snaps, so it doesn't move.

But for flipping their feed out with their nose, some nice size rocks work wonders. It slows them down and they can't push them around to flip the the grain out. It might also work to put a ball that floats in his water bucket. He might spend time trying to get it out but if he can't get a hold of it, it will just keep him busy until he gets bored with it. Just have to make sure he still drinks with it in there.

Good luck, these can be challenging at times.....

I have feed flippers too.we use the sweetlyx contaimers and drilled small holes to drain water and big hole in the bottom,went to lowes and bought 2 foot long "nails" and nailed them into the ground,i havent had problems yet...i keep an old rag out there to wipe them out if they get messy.As far as water,we use 15 gallon white tubs,with a cinder block in the bottom..they got to the point,they would drink half the water and roll the tubs across the pasture...lol

I found that when I started adding soaked beet pulp to the mix, it was wet enough that the grain melted a bit, making it impossible to fly out of the bucket. It now sticks to the sides and the horses have to work at it a bit to get it. Works great with a bucket thats attached to the wall. I also use a crate with a weight in the bottom for water buckets, allows the bucket to be pulled out, and not easily tipped.

What about a milk crate with a few bricks in it then put the feed/water bucket in? We did this years ago for our baby bottle fed calves

My little energizer bunny was bad at this, so to solve the feed problem we put ring bolts in the bottom of heavy metal 26" high barrels and clipped his hay nets in the bottom. Then we had to up it to two clips.

For water, and this is outside, we clipped the flatback bucket to the fence corner and had it raised on a cinder block. Also try those slosh free bucket toppers for trailer watering.

Thanks for all the tips. I ordered a couple of buckets with the feed saver rings. Hope they help! If he can't sling water/feed out with his nose, he does it with his feet. He's determined that feed and water are going to go everywhere. I did put a Busy Snacker hay net in his stall filled with hay. Hoping that will help to keep him entertained. He's also on Ranitidine just in case ulcers are part of the problem. I'll let everyone know how the buckets work after they get here.

Becky, I used the rings for my thoroughbreds years back, and they worked for them. Hope they work for your mini.

Well ultimately, when I have on that flips like that - the animal is not being naughty - they just want to get the feed out. I just make sure there is a clean area on the rubber mat where they usually dump it and if they dump it - well then they are happy eating off the floor. BUT - I also use the square hang over feeder pans and I use cable ties to keep the bucket in place. ONLY the ones who really want it out of the bucket bad break the ties and end up with the feed on the ground. I just quit worrying about it. They are happier.

Latest posts

Back