Need Some Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Gray Heart Mini Horse

Reaction score
I'm thinking on making this carport in to a barn with 8 stalls and a feed and tack room and of course a grooming and wash area but my quastion is how big should they be as one of the horses in a 13.2hh mare. and whats best to make the stalls out of I was thinking cattle panel with gates or should I make them out of some thing else if so what and how big should the feed and tack room be same with wash and groom area. would like a paddock for each stall so they can strach there legs so how long and wide should they be.

Thanks

would love pics of y'all barns

I wouldn't go smaller than 10x10 for a 13.2 pony. Our main barn has 8x8 stalls and we've had everything from A minis to 46" (11hh) shetlands in them very comfortably. Our foaling stalls are solid 10x10 walls but our show barn stalls are all evenly spaced boards for ventilation.

For the pony, I'd say 12x12 if possible. Our mini stalls are 8x12 and that size has served very well including for foaling and for stalling mares with their foals during bad weather and at night.

ok cool as I plan to feed them in the barn so every one get the amount of feed they need how big should the tack room and feed room be and how big should i do for a groom and wash area.

Thanks

Already good advice, but please don't use cattle paneling because when the horses lay down, they'll get legs stuck in the squares, I guarantee it-have an old barn that I had to use for foaling this past year when our main barn flooded and had to make pens out of cattle paneling quickly. One night while watching one of my preggie girls, she was laying down, rolled over and BAM, leg in the gate. She was fine, but no way was I risking it. I put mesh garden fencing all around it and used it for the other horses and then used my grain barn for the pregnant mares. Hoping the flooding isn't so bad this next spring because i'd really prefer to keep the foaling to my foaling barn.

Tack and feed room is very much personal choice. How much stuff do you have? How much are you going to have in the future? Can you put the feed and tack in one small space if you use all wall space or will you need more floor space?

A floor to roof shelf system can help you get all rugs, grooming items, etc out of the way and in less space then boxes or chests.

You can get away with quite small spaces if you use every inch of wall space for storage
default_biggrin.png

ok I was going to but wood boards on the panels so they cant hurt them selfs but thank for the advise and the tack and feed room must be big enough as i'm in a wheele chail

I have 3 stalls 2 are 12x12 ones 12x14 there HUGE for my boys i can put them both in one and they still have room so i geuss for a mini id go smaller BUT i had a lil 13.2 HH POA gelding last year and im GLAD i had 12x12 for him

Most of my minis and ponies are under 38" Most of my stalls are 7X8 with a few being 8 X 12 for bigger ones. We let them out everyday and bring them in at night. As for the tack stall, figure what you think you will need and add about 25 to 50% cause you will find that there are more things you want in there. The wash area is the same way. Tie the biggest horse you will be washing and have room to get around him. Make sure you have room for a place to put your shampoo, scrubbies ect--whether it be a shelf on a wall on something portable, you need to make room for it. I may be a good idea to make this space a bit bigger than you think necessary as well. Our wash area is outside with tie area for up to 6 horses inside. If we need to keep them apart, then we can get 4 in there. Our wash area is just a slab outside the barn cause we just wash and move them. Inside tie area is also concrete with shelves all over the place for combs, brushes ect. We also have a spot for the cheap throw blankets (people kind) so we can clip them on if the air is a bit nippy.

We have a barn with 37 horse stalls and 2 atalls that have been made into tack rooms. We have at least 5 seperate aisles with gates dividing them off various ways. We have found that a gate at the end of an aisle helps quite often.

Latest posts

Back