Need some help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
Hi, I was praying that there is someone on here that can help me.. I am on my sister's will, which she has had another one done after it, to put her new husband on it. That one was a free one they did and can not find it.. There are massive family issues right now, and alson she doesn't want her hubby taking care of things, now.. She keeps bringing up the one I am one. I do not want to be on it or have anything to do with her.. Does anyone know I can get myself off of this will?

Thanks (the issues are very long and complicated)
default_no.gif

Jodie

Do you mean that you are an executrix? Or are due to inherit?

Your best option is to see a lawyer and get something in writing about your wishes. I doubt it would be very expensive and would give you peace of mind. I know my mother was able to decline her portion of an inheritance; her silbings got her share. But such things must be done legally, and recorded. There is probably some routine form that can be filed. You might even call your county court clerk and ask about it before contacting a lawyer.

Good luck and keep cool.

if you mean that you are named as an executor of the will, if/when the time comes, all you have to do is refuse the responsibility. you are under no legal obligation to do anything at all. if you mean that you are named as an heir, you can refuse any inheritance or if you wish, you can simply accept it and donate the funds to a charity. if her will indicates that she wants you to have certain material things, here again, you can simply refuse to take whatever is left to you.

if you, alone, are named as an executor and you do not wish to be, once you refuse, the court will appoint another executor if the will has to go through probate. unless she has a substantial estate, that isn't likely to happen.

Jodie --

I'm not a lawyer but I do a lot of work in the estate planning arena. You are not obligated to accept anything left to you in a will. I haven't had my coffee yet and can't remember the term, but you can refuse (there's a specific term for this).

You also are not obligated to act as the executor or executrix of a will. There are for sure many reasons not to want that job.

Jill

Hi thanks for the replies... I am not to inherit anything but headaches. They are in the process of loosing their home due to her hubsand not being able to handle money. I am going to a lawyer later today to find out for sure. Her health isn't the greatest, and she is pulling a lot of fraudulant things.(things she/he could get arrested for), but she hasn't gotten caught yet.. When I find out, I will let you know..

Jodie

PS. it was a will, and her power of attorney..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back