Need some advice...long post!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for you in helping them out. As for the beet pulp, the oil will help with the weight. If that taste doesn't help, I have tried a couple of other things......you can add apple juice or apple sauce and mix everything in OR you can add Jello power ( either the sugar or the sugar free). One of these things should get her to eat.

I got the beet pulp SHREDS with no molasses- mine hate the pellets and will not touch it. The shreds took them a couple of days to get used to- I just soaked a handful at first and put it in their feed along with their hay. After about the third day they were really eating it up, so I increased it slowly up to more. Now they LOVE it. It seems that anything that is new, they think you are trying to poison them, LOL

Absolutely, BLESS YOU for taking these two in!!! I agree, if you are not going to use him for breeding, have the old guy gelded. It will make a difference and at least you will later be able to pasture them together and not worry about babies.

Yes, at this point, he would love to 'get his groove on' with the filly, LOL and is probably thrilled to death to see another horse of his own kind. I have to say, if he is that active, he must be doing great and feeling good!! That is awesome!!

Make sure their teeth are in good shape, and with a regular worming program, you probably wont even recognize your filly in the spring!!! Minis are such easy keepers, it makes me SO sad to see them in bad shape and thin- they must really LITERALLY be fed nothing and starving to get that bad.

It appears they are in good hands now though! Welcome to the Forum!! You will find a TON of great advice here and a zillion years experience and knowledge by the folks here, who are always more than willing to help.

Just remember with adding new feed, start it out with just a handful- and the oil a tiny bit, because they are going to turn their nose up at it at first.......... Once they eat a small amount readily, they are ready for more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, and I think you are doing great already.

I agree with everyone about gelding Marley. Might take a few months for you to be able to put them together and for him to figure out mentally it doesn't work too good anymore, but it will surely prevent an accident from happening. He might still attempt to hop aboard when she is in heat, but he will not appreciate the results.

I think beet pulp is an aquired taste and also it stinks so that is probably why Nesta wasn't in a rush to eat it. Don't know what else you have on the menu, if you said so I missed it, but for now a cup am and pm with the rest of her feed/hay should sufice. Everyone has their own favorite feed. You need to keep in mind that when putting on weight, it needs to be done very slowly, or you can buy yourself a whole new set of problems; founder. So go slow. She's going to pick up just fine. All in due time.

I also don't see a dwarf from the pictures you posted.

By spring time, shave her all up all over, you will see a whole new horse and be so proud of what you have accomplished. Just keep it slow.

Best wishes.

Congratulations on your new acquisitions
default_smile.png
Sounds like you are doing everything right for them. Do have their teeth checked by a vet or dentist who is used to working on minis, if everything else had been neglected their teeth probably have as well and may affect how well they eat. I'd agree with the suggestion to try a senior feed for them, very digestible and usually a little higher fat content. Corn oil on the feed works, black oil sunflower seeds (fed whole) add oil as well. Moormans Stabilized Rice Bran is also great for adding weight There are also lots of commercial weight building products on the market, but good basic nutrition may be all you need at this point.

And yes to the gelding
default_smile.png

Jan

I will second Jan's suggestion to have their teeth checked. Even a 2 yr old may have dental issues that can cause problems. I think Minis need dental care more often than big horses do. Good Luck with your 2 and yes to the gelding !

Elizabeth

Latest posts

Back