Need Pro Breeder Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horizonhorses

Reaction score
I have a miniature mare who foaled a dead for on April 16th, 2011 and we had to help pull the foal out. She was swollen and turned inside out for a couple weeks after foaling, but I kept her clean and she seemed to heal vaginally just fine, but now she trots and lopes like she has a foal still stuck inside her. Is her hip out? Has anyone ever seen this before? Vet says she will be fine, but I was wondering if I should get a second opionion.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=is5Ri2auUn8

There are two videos on you tube under cielohorses name of horse is confetti.

Looks like nerve damage to me. Temporary. It will take some time and even a few more months, but should get better over time. I've had a few mares with nerve damage and all healed to the point that you'd never known anything had happened. And all have foaled successfully since.

I had a mare foal last year with all four feet at the same time. The vet was getting ready to do a fetotomy and after the mare was sedated she pushed the foal out by herself. The vet was amazed that she could do it. The mare did have trouble trotting and moved as if her hip was sideways. It took about 6 months but she ended up moving just fine.

We had a bad foaling incident once too and she couldnt trot or lope properly, both back legs tried to move at the same time when she went too fast (hope I worded that right so it makes sense). I would recommend finding an equine chiropractor and acupuncturist and see what they have to say about it, that is what we had to do to correct ours, she is now 100% and an excellent performance horse (she will never be bred again!). Good luck with your girl and sorry about the foal!

I agree about the chiropractor. Could be just one adjustment would make her feel much better immediately.

This season, we had a mare showing dis-coordination with a 4wk old filly. It turned out to be pre-hyperlidemia. We just were SO lucky to catch. We ended up weaning our filly at 5wks and intensely working on our mare. It's been a few months now, and both are fine. Just would have not ever imagined when I initially saw the mare "goose stepping" what was going really on, and thankful we involved the vet right off the bat. One of our best mares.

1)Obturator nerve passes through the pelvis through the Obturator foramen. When a fetus is in the pelvic canal it puts pressure on this nerve, thus more pressure for longer, which happens during dystocia, tends to produce nerve damage of varying degrees. Treatment is usually steroids or Nsaids. Most of these do return to normal. For any nerve damage, most of the improvement will happen in the first 2 weeks after injury with continued improvement happening for 6 months.

2)If the foal was 'pulled' then the spinal cord could have been damaged due to excess traction. Same treatment, same results. But these tend to be more severe.

Dr Taylor

What is the best thing for her to do now? Be stalled, worked on a regular basis? Just walked? She has been in a small paddock with stall and out to graze for a couple hours a day. She isn't over weight, but needs to get back in shape from the baby weight.

1)Obturator nerve passes through the pelvis through the Obturator foramen. When a fetus is in the pelvic canal it puts pressure on this nerve, thus more pressure for longer, which happens during dystocia, tends to produce nerve damage of varying degrees. Treatment is usually steroids or Nsaids. Most of these do return to normal. For any nerve damage, most of the improvement will happen in the first 2 weeks after injury with continued improvement happening for 6 months.

2)If the foal was 'pulled' then the spinal cord could have been damaged due to excess traction. Same treatment, same results. But these tend to be more severe.

Dr Taylor

Thank you all for the ideas. I would love to hear more ideas even if they are the same. Just knowing she will be better works for me!

Latest posts

Back