Need Prayres!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry to hear about your little ones being so sick.I have said prayers for them.

please keep us posted when you have the time.

Bonnie

default_pray.gif
: Yes many prayers your way! I too think it sounds like something growing. Will be watching for updates and with my fingers and toes crossed. Bless you and stay strong at this stressful time William.

Maxine

Saying a prayer for you and your sick mares, sure hope they recover quickly. Marty had some great suggestions to cover all your bases. Hang in there.

Jan

There is a plant that is growing in Fl here that is producing those symptoms, Donna Lavery at Winning Streak had a mare that ate one and did the same thing. It looks like a tobacco plant with long leaves and a really thick stem and a very shallow root. I dont know what it is called, but we pulled them all up on our farm when we found out what they did. Tell your vet to check for toxicity from plants, good luck, hope your mares get well.

I am so sorry to hear about your mares. :no: They will certainly be in my prayers:pray:. Please keep us posted on how they are doing when you have the time.

This sounds like a plant toxicity. I am not a vet - but saw similar symptoms in a gelding who died from Tansy Ragwort poisoning.... the staggering, depression, high temperature, loss of appetite... all sound similar.

The bloodwork will show what is wrong. Did both mares have access to the same pasture at some point?? Or eat hay from the same load??

default_sad.png

Hopefully it is nothing that serious...

Prayers heading your way from NC!!

Hope they are getting better!

Prayers, concern, and best wishes sent to you from the North. Will await an update with hopefullness!

I am so sorry...I know this must be hard....Thoughts and prayers going your way for a fast and full recovery.

William I am so sorry to hear about your girls. I pray they will both recover quickly. Please let us know how they are when you have a chance, I know you must be worn out and run off your feet right now.

There is a plant that is growing in Fl here that is producing those symptoms, Donna Lavery at Winning Streak had a mare that ate one and did the same thing. It looks like a tobacco plant with long leaves and a really thick stem and a very shallow root. I dont know what it is called, but we pulled them all up on our farm when we found out what they did. Tell your vet to check for toxicity from plants, good luck, hope your mares get well.
Just doing a update check on this, I don't believe that the results were ever conclusive on either Donna's horses or yours as to what caused it.

What ever happend?? Were there any results?? How are the mares???

It was Never determined that the cause of illness was toxic plants at Donna's farm, only a thought, and those paticular plants run rampant on All the farms in Ocala, it's odd that there isn't more cases if that's the case. Donna's mare that was ill for unknown reasons, made a complete and full recovery and is doing wonderfully... I am hoping the same is the case for these mares...

For the record, everyone up here, including Donna and other farms in the Ocala area are aware of the plant and what it *may* cause and have pulled them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shady,,Check your pasture for any broad leaf plant, either smooth or fuzzy, it may or may not have berries this time of year. It is possibly Night Shade, there are over 50 different varieties and they all produce the symptoms you are talking about, plus diarhea. I had a mare last year that had those symptoms, my vet thought it was WN, but all the tests proved negative. She was treated with DMSO the first time due to the possiblity of WN or EEE and then took her back to be oiled 2 days later.

The normally will not eat them,, but some will if their pasture gets sparse or if they are bored. Go pull all the weeds up with broad leaves. you could probably spot spray round up, but you rist the overspray getting on your grass. If you mow, especially if they have berries, you will spread them.

Good luck with your mares. I hope they get better soon.

Angie

Prayers going out your way......

My first thoughts were also EPM or a plant toxicidy too.

MA

Latest posts

Back