need prayers and positive thoughts please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick message. My new boy Cal is in need of some prayers and positive thoughts. Went to feed this morning and whilehe ate his hay and feed from last night, he is colicy and has poor gut sounds this am. I have been walking him and am getting ready to trailer him to the vet. I can use all the good words you all can offer up for him.

Sending prayers from across the pond.
default_pray.gif

Carolyn, I'm so sorry. Prayers are with you and I hope he's going to be fine.

Okay, suspected culprit is some type of infection brewing, indicated by an elevated white blood cell count. He is on antibiotics, like a naxcel injection but he doesn't need the second dose injected until Monday. I have some gatrogaurd as a precaution as well some sucralfate to be started tomorrow, granted he does well through the night and isn't throwing himself to the ground, have zero gut sounds or has taken some horrible turn for the worst.

I opened the stall door this AM and just knew as soon as I opened the door. He didn't attack his hay (alfalfa and part of a flake of timothy) he didn't show much interest in hand grazing, had very little gut sounds, had his lip curled once or twice, no fever this morning, but had a 101.3 temp when we went to the vet. Many of us know how it is, we just know when they are off, if we had less interaction or less experience we might not quite get how serious it can become. Our mind goes a mile a minute, "he was wormed yesterday,...... was it a parasite overload, maybe he ate too much hay and not enough water.....but alfalfa is a laxative and he had 5 piles in his stall this AM as well as three more when hand walking him...... am I giving him too much grain..... the wrong kind, .......he has been here 12 days, perfect timeframe to have caught a bug and have it begin to rear its head......"

we suddenly second guess all of our carefully planned, diligently followed courses of action for our new arrivals.

After carefully reviewing everything with the vet, she said all diet choices were well planed and were very good choices, fecal exam sorted out that it was not a parasite overload, possible ulcer issue from the new home and environment, but most likely an infection brewing. He was given banamine (IV) sedated ,tubed, drained and oiled, given IV fluids, and antiobiotics. The Banamine was given at 1PM it is now 9:15 and he is alert, passed a little manure, has some gut sounds, but I was advised to see how he does over night and if all is good stat with some wet hay and hand grazing in the morning. Please keep the prayers coming, I will be sure to post an update tomorrow. Thanks Everyone!

Glad to hear it sounds like everything was caught in time. Hoping he continues to show improvement from here on in.

Glad to hear that you and the vets have so many 'possibilities' covered. Hopefully it is just a simple infection and he will very soon be fully recovered. (I know exactly what you mean about our 'overdrive' minds rushing through all the possible causes when one of our chips seems a bit 'off colour'!)

Good luck - prayers continuing while we wait for your updates.

praying for you and your lprecious boy! nothing worse then to have one of your animals sick!! glad they know whats happening and are getting him sorted
default_smile.png

Just coming on to wish you the best and it looks like you're already getting things sorted out...So now I'll be hoping for a low vet bill lol.

Glad things are progressing in the right direction
default_smile.png

He stil isn't passing as much manure as I'd like, gut sounds aren't horrible but aren't great either and his fever returned this afternoon, not too high, but high enough to require banamine. He seems content and is eating grass vigorously while I am hand grazing him (this was prior to the banamine so thats a plus, the only purpose of the banamine was to lower his temp and make sure he stays comfortable). He is gettng Milk of magnesia to help "roto router" him out as the vet put it. On a plus note, I wasn't thrilled that he passed manure at 10, and din't pass more until 3pm (with a little help). I knew that giving him an enama wouldn't hurt and may loosen up things on the back end, took about 15 minutes but it worked, on the plus note, I discovered that if you rinse out the enama bottle and remove the rubber ring from the inside, it can be used to dose large amounts of oral meds.It worked better than any large syringe I ever used, it would be great for those that mix meds with apple sauce to dose.

Just coming on to wish you the best and it looks like you're already getting things sorted out...So now I'll be hoping for a low vet bill lol.

Glad things are progressing in the right direction
default_smile.png
Thanks! Gotta love those vet bills, I have him insured so at least I am only out the deductable, good news is my vet sent me home with good meds and didn't cut corners since I would be geing reimbursed.

Thanks! Gotta love those vet bills, I have him insured so at least I am only out the deductable, good news is my vet sent me home with good meds and didn't cut corners since I would be geing reimbursed.
Nice !!
default_smile.png

I hope I am not speaking too soon, but Cal appears to be back to normal. Hopefully we are over the bump and it will be smooth siing from here on out. He is such a sweet boy. If all goes well, he won't need to see a vet until late fall after fly season when he is gelded. Thanks for all the positive input, it is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back