Need info quick on fainting foals.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoria

Reaction score
To make a long story short we had a goregous pinto filly born about 3.30am this morning birth was uneventful and very quick but the mare did leap up almost immediately after birth and the placenta came out at the same. The wee filly seemed fine all day (now over 12 hours old) and is feeding well, had the vet out to check both mare and foal at 5.30am this morning and again at 11am as the mare had a wee bit of bleeding. Went out to get the foal in to trim her eye lashes and she appeared asleep in the paddock her ears were flicking but she was limp and did not sort of come round without vigours stimulation. We have had this with very young foals that have had a hard time foaling but not like this before. Any info would be appreciated..

We've had both "fainters"........where they pass out when startled or stressed by something, and narcaleptic (sp) foals -- "sleepers".......where they fall asleep for long periods of time and are hard to wake up.

Sleepers make me more nervous because I'm always afraid they will sleep so long that they won't nurse enough. So, when we've had one, we've had a tendency to watch them under camera, set our clock alarm and wake them every two to three hours. Once they are awake they always have bounced up and immediately nursed and acted normal.

On a positive note, both "fainters" and "sleepers" seem to outgrow this after a couple of days or so and go on to live normal lives.......at least ours all have.

Congrats Victoria, I dont have any advice to offer but I hope she does ok for you.

Glad the foaling went well...and you didnt need me and my readiness after all eh??
default_wink.png

I too have had this happen and all was fine. The colt outgrew it on his own...he did it only a couple of times the first day. Congratulations on your new filly!

I have had this happen also, both kinds and all have been just fine. I have heard that is a neurlogical disorder, something inside the brain has not matured just right. Usually in a few days there were okay. I also had one that the tongue hung outside of the mouth off and on for several days. The vet told me that was the same thing, a neorlogical disorder. He did improve in a few days and was able to control his tongue and keep it inside. That was scarey, since I have not heard of anyone talking about this.

Thanks everyone. My old vet described it as like you said Mizbeth, we also had one with the tounge out the side of the mouth too, I hadn't struck it in an older foal, only in the first 3 hours which is what threw me.

Helen I so could have used some of your readyness today... Lukas choked on a grape which a paniced me fished out not using the correct method, later then fell out of the barn and hit his mouth.... STRESS
default_gaah.gif
Im not good when my kids are hurt/upset. He's wataching the imagination movers now and waiting for daddy to come home...

Have experienced this many times. I have found that mine have all outgrown it and been fine by one month of age. Best of luck with your little darling.
default_smile.png

Hi congrats on ya filly I'm glad its nothing life threatning, Poor Lucas, Tyla had her hair cut today and is above her shoulders because she cut her own hair lol and cut one side shorter lol she was so proud, the hair dresser said she has seen worse (I bet)

Our experience with 'sleepers' or 'fainters' is the same as Miniv. Just make sure your filly nurses enough. She will grow out of it. It sure can scare you though!

Pam C.

Yeah I can't believe he is 7 weeks old aready too. I can't believe that I am taking 4 horses to a show at the weekend. HA.. that will be funny... Im supposed to have only been lifting things for a week. Wonder how all the horses got clipped etc.. Magic i guess. Both boys got immunised today so I guess Im a sucker for punishment. Triny got mum up every 2 hours last night. After getting up to her at 1 I forgot to turn my pager back on, just shows you how sleep deprivation can make your mind play tricks on you huh..

bubba foal seems fine. We got the vet back up to check them both out again and she said that she thinks it was a normal reaction to being picked up or stimulated and handled then she demonstrated it with the filly so that is something new as I am always very aware when getting the foal to drink not to over stimulate or over handle them as I know that can lead to fainting.

Emma, how a cute is Tyla.. Are you guys coming to the show this weekend. Btw the filly is Hannah's full sister.

Latest posts

Back