Need info on mini jumps

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
We have decided to add a mini jumping class at our club shows to try to encourage more mini owners to come out and show. The only mini show around here is the Mid South Fair in September which is AMHA. We currently have a mini driving and mini halter class. We don't follow any AMHA/AMHR association rules except our minis need to be 38" and under. Both have to compete together because we have 37 classes at our shows and can't afford to make the show last any later. Anyway, my hubby and I are building the jumps. I would like to see some pictures of mini jumps and some dimensions. We have made our prototype 42" wide with varying heights of from 12" to 30" . Is 42" wide enough? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, bumping this up. Somebody please you must have some pix of your horses jumping and can tell me the width to use to build some jumps. Pretty Please?

Maybe help in the amha or amhr rule book.

http://www.amha.org/

Try going on some of the forum's members web site.

Hope this helps
default_yes.gif
:

Here's 2 but l'm not sure on how wide they are.

dcl.jpg

GK05-36-0950_full.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're not having a sanctioned show, you will not need to follow registry rules exactly, but you could definitely look to them for guidelines.

In AMHA, the jumps have to be 5 feet wide. Being 42 inches, yours are probably a little bit small, but the horses should still be able to jump them. If you have a choice, though, you should probably make them wider.

There are two different jumping classes, Hunter and Jumper. In hunter, the horse's way of going is judged, and the horse must keep an even pace throughout the course. The AMHA rulebook says that jumps cannot be higher than 24 inches, but you will never really see hunter courses with jumps less than 24 inches--all the jumps will usually be that height. For your class, a jump 12 inches high is likely too short.

Jumper is judged solely on whether or not the horse makes it over the jump. In AMHA, the focus is on height--jumps start at 24 inches and will be raised to well over 40 inches for the top contenders. In AMHR, the focus is on speed. The jumps aren't raised very high, but the jump-offs are timed, with the fastest horse winning.

You should definitely decide whether you are going to have a hunter class or a jumper class, as they are quite different and the exhibitors will want to know what they're entering. Regardless of the class you decide to have, you will need to have at least 5 different jumps to use, and the pattern should consist of 6-8 jumps (so some jumps will be jumped twice.) I'm sure you will find reading the associations' rulebooks helpful. The AMHA rulebook can be found at www.amha.org, and I am pretty sure that the AMHR rulebook is also online at www.shetlandminiature.com.

Good luck with your show!

heres a pic of the jumps we use at our club shows. they stack really nice when your not using them.

cheifkyle.JPG

jumps at a show

kylejump1.jpg

Thanks for all the responses. After posting my questions, I did go to AMHA on line and discovered the jumps were supposed to be 5 feet wide. I don't know if my husband will feel like redoing ours since we are not sanctioned, but I am going to show him the pictures you sent and see what he decides.

Here's 2 but l'm not sure on how wide they are.

dcl.jpg

GK05-36-0950_full.jpg

Those are awesome jumps, but as I understand it they are not legal for AMHR shows: "Jump standards may not be higher than 40". No wings or additions are allowed outside the jump standards."

Gee sounds like AMHR is a bit different then the AMHA. :lol: These were actually baby jumps.

Gee sounds like AMHR is a bit different then the AMHA. These were actually baby jumps.
There is a big difference in the two registries when it comes to jumping classes. The object in AMHA is to go clean and high, the object in AMHR is to go clean and fast. My real issue with the jumps in the pictures, though, was the wings extending past the standards--not legal in AMHR.

Latest posts

Back