need help with knees please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy

Reaction score
could someone be so kind as to post a picture or explain what is meant by over at the knees. l've done a search and read some on it but for the life of me can't see how to tell if a miniature is over at the knee or not. thankyou for any help.

here is a line drawing of over at the knee. the leg bone should go straight down from the forearm thru the middle of the knee and on down to the ground. But see how in the picture the bone is angled back under the knee?? there are varying degrees of this so keep that in mind too

overn01.jpg

do you mean its not the knee itself but the area below the knee and to the hoof needs to be straight and not angled towards the back.

Over at the knees is the same thing as buck kneed. And you can do a search and find lots of drawing but here is one that compare different front limb faults.

g02843art02.jpg

a. Correct, good bone.

b. Pastern too straight.

c. Pastern too long and flat, angle different than foot, "coon-footed."

d. Calf-kneed, short, straight pastern.

e. Buck-kneed or over on the knee.

f. "Tied in" or fine bone below the knee

Edited to say......just read your last post. It is the actual knee that is rounded or bowed instead of flat like illustration a. The opposite would be calf kneed in which the knee is actually bowed backwards

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are brilliant, Carol, I could not find anything better!!!

It's very difficult to show this on an actual animal as it varies from animal to animal so much.

I count it as a very bad fault, but that is a personal view, I have met a number of people who do not give it a second thought.

Coming as I do from a riding / working background, I would not use an animal in my programme that was over at the knee. But I do think, from a "future of the breed" point of view, " f" is a far greater threat, and I have seen, over the last few years, in our strive for "finer boned" animals, a number of high placing animals with this fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread and great illustration...I also agree totally with rabbitsfizz. Thanks for the info.

Rabbit, I know what you mean as you know I am a performance person in a halter barn. Actually, from a judging standpoint, the calf-kneed horse is considered the worst. But in my opinion there is no way a horse with coon feet will not wind up with bowed tendons (as well as other problems...UGH) and as you pointed out the tied in tendons. No point in putting any time or money into these animals as performance horses as they will break down and not worth the effort. I certainly would not use them as breeding horses either, but hey.......most people can't even see common leg faults anyway. And maybe because miniature horses are not worked like big horses, people that do know don't care. Sure would change things around if they had to start riding them.

Latest posts

Back