Need help with foal foot problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenhse

Reaction score
I am a newbie regarding new foals and need help. My mare had a filly born yesterday about 2-3 weeks early. One of her back feet has a long frog hanging about 2 inches longer than the hoof causing it to drag and making her walk on the tip of the hoof. Im afraid the tendon will not stretch if she continues to walk this way and will cause more problems. Do I need to try brace the fetlock somehow to keep the ankle from getting worse, spend time each day trying to flex it for her or something else. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me as I know this is the best place to get answers from expert owners. Feel free to ask me any questions. I will try to take a picture if you think it might help.
default_sad.png

Thanks,

Steve

[SIZE=14pt]That can be peeled or cut off to even her foot. It is the milk hoof , or birthing slipper whatever you want to call it.... all babies are born with this soft thing on the bottom of their feet to protect the mare durring delivery and while in utero. they usually fall off by themselves but you can cut them off as well.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Lyn is right, it will just fall off, shouldn't be causing her any problems. If she is walking on her toes, it is not terribly unusual, the best thing is to get her out and let her exercise and run, that will help stretch things and relax the contraction. Give her some time, she'll be fine. Only time I worry is if they haven't come down by the time they are three weeks old then a vet should take a look.

Thanks Bitsy, I did trim the excess off and worked the ankle back and forth for about 10 minutes, then walked the mare and foal for a while. Did the same later tonight and she does look like its working. It looks like your suggestion to exercise it is right on. Thank you very much for your help.

Steve

Latest posts

Back