need help with dry (wet) lot ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniluver

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]My dry lot gets so muddy neither I nor the horses can hardly walk in it. My husband wants to put on top of it a very fine gravel that turns like concrete when it is soaked down. I'm not sure how great an idea that is for horses. Anyone out there got some helpful ideas???[/SIZE]
default_wub.png

Around here we have mud up to our knees every spring. So bad that it can pull boots right off your feet. Have you ever stepped in wet cold mud with only socks on your feet? UGH!!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
Fortunatly their shelters and center of the paddock areas are failrly dry. It is too soon and too wet to turn them out to pasture, so we all have to suffer. (So why am I still in Minnesota? Hate the Winters, Hate the Spring. FAll is not much better, always dark and gloomy. I only stay here because my daughter and grandkids are here) :DOH!

I have used ag lime sand to fill in areas that I wanted to stay dryer, like stallion runs and the area by the barn. Works really well, but it needs to be at least 4 to 6 inches deep. I would not use stone, as it is rather hard on the horses feet and bodies when lying down.

I have never had a mud problem until "THE STORM". We got 1 1/2" of rain in about 4 hours. This is more rain then we get all month. So it did start to "SLOP UP". Then at 4:00pm the rain turned to snow and we got a foot of heavy wet snow. Needless to say the pen is WET (well it is frozen right now). I found out I have a couple of low spots. I have a fill dirt hill in my stud pen that was here when I moved here. I am using it to fill (yes while it was raining) the low spots. Our dirt here does one of two things. As it is walked on it will turn to concrete or you end up with sand 3-4" deep. I do prefer the sand to the hard ground because it is easier on the horses feet and legs. I too would never use rock of any size in my pens. It may make it easier to clean but think of how your feet and legs hurt after standing all day on a solid floor.

We are getting ready to put in rock screenings- they have been suggested to us for dust control, as well as for the extreme mud we can get when it snows/rains. Perhaps this is what your husband is referring to?

Peggy

We just received the last of three heavy rainstorms in Southern California. My corrals are mudpits, too. However, last month we brought in a truckload of pea gravel to top off the drive to the barn. My oldest horse, Ghost (now 30) has free-range and spends much of his time patrolling this area. He has a box stall with a corral out back but the only time he was ever locked in was when it would rain hard. Last January he blew out his superficial digital flexor tendon (this is my big TB/QH cross not my minis). Well, by the Grace of God he made it through the recovery (vet thought we'd have to put him down). It was a very difficult healing but he's a trooper. Anyway, with all these rains he has not had to be locked in his stall and can keep moving, which is important since he has arthritis, ringbone, etc. He is so happy! He LOVES rolling in the gravel, especially when he's muddy--it really helps clean him up. My foundered pony also loves to stand in the big pile leftover; it allows her to distribute her weight better.

Now I have to deal with my corrals. Not all my horses have access to stalls. I plan to create an area of gravel in each and leave areas of dirt (mud) so that my horses can choose where to stand. The gravel isn't as hard as concrete because the ground under it gives with the weight of the horses, especially when it rains. It will at least give them the option of getting out of the mud for awhile and provide traction so they won't slip.

My days of slipping and falling in the mud on my poor big fat butt is over. I am not bouncy anymore. The law of gravity tells me that what falls down, now, needs a crane to get up.

It's called "chat" or "screening"

It is a combination of finely crushed gravels, sand, and limestone, but no, it does not set up hard like concrete. It has "give" to it. I've used it here for years and I like it. It stays soft but used correctly it's durable. It keeps the mud at bay and forms a barrier so that the mud can't really get through it and rise to the top, only if you use enough of it and make it thick. It will not work for you right now. You're too late; you already have too much mud. You have to do this in the dry season. If you just pour it all around your muddy area now, it will do no good and just make you a much deeper mess than what you already have there. It will just churn under and it's not made for spreading all over the place. It simply will not work like you are planning to do.

What you have to do is wait for your dry season. Then I would suggest you only make a path with it, where you walk, where you need it, and a thick one at that. And you have to make it very thick to make it work. One foot of it say for instance will crush and compact down to 1 or 2 inches. But for something to just throw all over on top your mud area, no, waste of money. It will not work used like that and it will not last. Also, if you choose to make paths for yourself, they do have to be refurbished about once a year.

Now I use gravel and made gravel roads all over the place here where I walk or have to drive to unload feed and hay etc. The horses do not have to be on it at all. They can get to wherever they are going on the dirt/grassy areas, but it's never hurt them or their feet. I couldn't be without it, and yes, my horses go out of their way too to roll in the gravel! I have two different sizes that I use but mostly I use 1 inch. I use 2 1/2 inch for where I park my trailer so it doesn't sink in the mud on that side of the barn.

So I say to you, first, in your dry season, do what you have to do first by ditching to solve a lot of your problem. Drainage is important. Ditch, ditch, ditch. Then, think in terms of "paths" instead of covering an entire area.

Good luck and happy muddin!

These are some of my gravel path ways

AAbarn3.jpg

AAbarn2.jpg

AAbarn.jpg

We don't get alot of mud in our area, we freeze too hard and then when it warms it drys quickly. I feel for those that are plagued with mud.....

We use what they call "hog fuel" in our area. It is large chipped wood, not logs or anything, just larger than shavings and the nice thing about it is, it breaks down over time and gives a nice drainage effect. A more expensive option is ground rubber....

i fought mud for 20+ years and i do NOT miss it! although living on sand has a few disadvantages, i wouldn't trade it for all the dirt in china.

MARTY HONEY, YOUR ROOFER IS LOSIN' HIS BRITCHES!!!!! :DOH!

Thank you all for writing. You have been very helpful. I can see that screening would "give a little", like someone said. I didn't think about that. Also, the paths are an excellent idea. I know exactly what you mean when you say "boot stick'in mud." I have almost fallen on my face several times due to my boots being stuck down. I feel bad when I tell someone I hate the rain, but I just get so very tired of mud!!! I know the horses have to be sick of it also. I guess I will have to wait for it to dry off, then give the screening a try. Wish I do something now, but I guess it would just be a waste. Thanks again.

We are knee deep in mud right now, too.. I can't stand all of the mud. This is the only time I have a nasty dry lot.(I can't even clean poop, as I am just scooping mud) It was just in the teens. Today and Tom it will be in the 60's here
default_wacko.png
I am think sand, too..Just with my back right now, can't spread it..
default_no.gif
And hubby just says wait it will freeze.. I feel with you!!
default_yes.gif

MARTY HONEY, YOUR ROOFER IS LOSIN' HIS BRITCHES!!!!!

CHARLENE HONEY, I TELL HIM THAT ALL THE TIME BUT HE DOESN'T CARE!!!!! :DOH!

This is where extra paddock areas always are a plus so you can rotate and keep horses off of that part when they are constantly churning it up.

Another thought for you mudders is also to get your hands on a garden tractor and use a box blade to pull a lot of that excess off. A single blade might work just as well too, but box blade just comes to mind. And just pull, pull, pull, and rework that entire area. You may be able to get a bunch off of it now but you have to do it closely so whatever sun you can get can attempt to dry it. Remember, whatever you add now will just make more mud. So the best thing is to get down as much as you can with the loose soil and get it gone.

I know you said it's also a dry lot but also next year in the very early fall you can plant winter rye which should also tighten up some of it. It doesn't bother pregnant horses either. I do that usually around September/ October here just mainly for ground cover to keep the mud away and that works. They don't really enjoy eating it though.

I am battling mud right now too..and am getting very, very tired of it.....
default_no.gif

I just got a load (13 tons) of #4 gravel and plan to start putting it in the wettest worst spots...its going to take a long time to get it down, but they assure me that it will be much better and I did notice that its not broken pieces of rock but rather smooth ones so I think it will not be a danger to little hoofs.

Wish me luck. If it doesn`t work, I think I will sell some horses and cut down to just a few for pets...yep...I am getting that weary of it.
default_sad.png

I used to sink in the mud to the point that I would lose my shoes. Then I bought some cedar rest and put it down in all the areas that got bad. I was amazed that the next time we had a big storm that normally would have me stuck in the mud and I walked nicely on top and never got my feet dirty. I LOVED it. It costs a bit to start but I never had to change it. Now they recommend that you use the stall skins under to keep the dirt from mixing in. I never did that and never had a problem. I also helps repels flies.

Robin

I used to sink in the mud to the point that I would lose my shoes. Then I bought some cedar rest and put it down in all the areas that got bad. I was amazed that the next time we had a big storm that normally would have me stuck in the mud and I walked nicely on top and never got my feet dirty. I LOVED it. It costs a bit to start but I never had to change it. Now they recommend that you use the stall skins under to keep the dirt from mixing in. I never did that and never had a problem. I also helps repels flies.

Robin
What are cedar rests???

Back