need help with a rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait to see updates of them as they get fat and happy, they are lucky to have you.
I had a donkey that looked like this one, is the donkey a jenney or jack, do you know where your neighbors might of gotten it from?

The donkey is a jenny , her name is Laverne

God Bless you two for taking them... this is so tragic.. and I am afraid it happens more than we know.

A few years ago I took in a mare that had a similar situation..a divorce..2 horses, one hubby and one wife's and i strand of electric fence between the two! only one got fed and the other had to watch(the arab mare)..she was probably a 2 or 3 on a 10 scale.

I cry tears for them as I type as I have been in this situation and have groomed and felt this poor mare as you have these two. Recovery will be a miracle for them

I applaude you and your husband

with respect and smiles,

Jane . . . YOU ARE AWESOME! THANK YOU for helping these two! I've heard it mentioned in this post, to give many small meals instead of large meals, and I believe in it whole heartidly! Too much too fast, can cause colic! Red cell is GREAT, and I also use probiotics to help them start utilizing their feed better. Of course worming may be an issue, if they're over loaded with parasites. Any new horse that comes onto the place around here gets put on a daily wormer so as to not have too high of a parasite kill rate which could cause compaction.

You have a great support system here on this forum, and are making a good choice using it
default_wink.png
! I'm certainly glad I found it!

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

It is so 3rd grade to argue over who is going to feed. They spend more time and energy trying to get out of the work that they could have just gone out and done it and got it over with. My morning feeding gets done in less then 5 minutes. It does take longer at night. That is because I set things up for the morning the night before. What is the big deal to just go out and feed?

oh my that little donkey is cute!
default_wub.png

Thanks so much for taking them in, it looks like the both really need some help.

Please keep us updated

Jane,

Bless your heart for taking these poor animals in. It never ceases to amaze me what people do to their own animals. UGH.

You have been given some great advice here, but consult your vet to see what he/she feels is the best way to rehab them. All to often starved horses/donkey colic. Best of luck to you and I will be watching for some "after" pics. I'm sure with your great care and love they will be looking a whole lot different in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
We know where the other horses went too. I will be taking alot of pictures of them.
I wish I had seen them sooner, they moved them up behind the house, where they couldn't be seen
If it was so much trouble to feed these animals that were right there, behind the house, why in the world did they have them in the first place? People like this shouldn't have anything higher maintenance than a rock!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

On the positive side, at least these two are apparently still standing. One of our local rescues has had to handle a couple of horses that were too weak to do even that, and I hear that's really tricky. I look at those pictures, and my heart just hurts. I hate to think how awful they'd look if they hadn't so much fur to "fluff" them out. On the other hand, my minds' eye can also fill them out to where they ought to be, and I'm yearning for the day when you can proudly post "then" and "now" pictures. Bless you!

I spoke to my vet this AM, and we talked over a feeding program for now and told me to hold right now on worming, and to use zimectrin when I do, and he is coming to see her Friday. I want to get everything in writing, so They cant say she wasn't that bad. She was happy to see me this AM and wanted to eat, so thats good sign. Will keep everyone updated on her and she had some stupid name that I cant remember when she came , I have just been calling her sweetie. Any ideas for a name for her ?? JANE

Oh Jane your so wonderful. I think the pony is going to be quite pretty when she gains some weight. I was trying to think of a name that would fit her after her HORRIBLE order.

She's a survivor that's for sure her and the Jenny both. I think people like that ought to be SHOT personally. If I think of a name/names I'll put it on here for ya. TJ

Jane-

Just wanted to say thanks for taking these poor starving animals in. I will never understand how anyone can do this to an animal. As far as I'm concerned the people should be brought up on cruelty charges. Be sure and carefully document everything. Think I would get the SPCA out there to see them just so they know how bad they are.

With your love and care I'm sure they will both look wonderful down the road. Please post pics when you can so we can watch the changes.

Barbie

I spoke to my vet this AM, and we talked over a feeding program for now and told me to hold right now on worming, and to use zimectrin when I do, and he is coming to see her Friday. I want to get everything in writing, so They cant say she wasn't that bad. She was happy to see me this AM and wanted to eat, so thats good sign. Will keep everyone updated on her and she had some stupid name that I cant remember when she came , I have just been calling her sweetie. Any ideas for a name for her ?? JANE
Jane,

How about "Hope" for a name for the mare?

How are they doing and have you picked a name yet?

How are they doing and have you picked a name yet?
I made another post about them, check out or go to my website and see there www.hawkhollowfarm.freeservers.com

No name ,still calling her sweetie for now..JANE

Latest posts

Back