NEED HELP PLEASE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcpminiaturehorses

Reaction score
I just noticed this today . . . She is very pregnant and is due the beginning of april. It's not placenta I do know that but I've never seen this before. When she stands up it slowly goes back in. Any ideas? (hope the picture isn't too large I'm doing this in a hurry. Thanks for any help!

7a7c2aaa.jpg

I'd need more info? Is it shiny and bulbous and slick or is it her tissue? Mares can foal anytime from 300 days on or even earlier with some. I'd be watching her very closely. Is this her first foal, how old and how tall is she?

It's not shiny, it almost looks like tissue. She's had several foals, I lost the one last year because she went about two weeks early and it didn't get out of the sack. She doesn't really have a bag right now but her bag was kind of sweaty and her breathing seems to be a little heavier. She's about 34" and is around 10 or 12 years old.

It looks very much what a prolapsed uterus looks like in a sheep. I wouldnt take any chances and get the vet out to look at it. Let us know how she gets on. Wish you all the best. Kim

If it is a prolapsed uterus, shouldn't she be aborting the foal? This whole thing has got me puzzled and I'm keeping a very close eye on her right now. If she does have the foal and let's say she's due April 20 (I haven't looked it up yet I'm just giving a later date) what's the odds of saving the foal if any?

I'd get your vet to look at that. It may be just loose tissue from inside the vagina happening because everything is relaxing.....but it could also be the beginnings of a prolapsed uterous. (I've only seen photos of that, so I've not experienced it in person.)

Always to be better safe than sorry......

MA

:new_shocked: I dont have any idea what that is but, that looks like something I would be worried about! :new_shocked: If I were you I would have to vet out. Even if it turns out to be nothing, its better to be safe than sorry later on...
default_yes.gif
: .

Didnt someone else on here have something similiar last year? I cant remember who it was, but something was protuding. The person had the vet out, but I cant remember what it turned out to be. :eek:

Well, Good Luck with what ever it is and I hope all goes well for this mare and her baby... I will be praying everything goes okay and again Please have the vet out to take a look at her.
default_yes.gif
: I hope its not a prolasped uterus :new_shocked: I have seen it in cows and it does resemble that color... :no:

Please keep us updated...

Jeri

I have one of those dystocia charts in teh barn adn that is what a rpolapsed uterus looks like on there. and she is quite long in the vulva too by the way.

[SIZE=14pt]Lots of times mares that have had many foals have lax vaginas so that when they are laying down, the vulva is loose and some of the tissue is exposed. sort of like a hemroid.The vulvas on very pregnant mares often opens a bit from the pressure when they are down. It may just be that but I would get her checked.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Lyn, that's what I was thinking, but didn't know how to explain it!

Better safe than sorry, though, so I'd get it checked if I were you.

Definately get a vets opinion on this. Does it go back in when she stand up? I have lambed out several ewes and this is exactly what a ewe looks like that is prolapsing. And when she stands up it goes back in. I would not waste time, better to be safe than sorry, I would call a vet!

Ditto what Lyn said. I've had a mare or two do this, always when they were laying down - and they went on to foal normally. I also would have the vet check it to be sure though.

Jan

I'm not a Vet either but I have to agree with what others have said. I wouldn't take a chance on what's happening and I would take her to a Vet if you couldn't get one to come out and have her checked out.

It would also give you peace of mind if everything is ok.

Joyce

Lyn, your explanation was exactly where my thinking was going. I would watch her very closely and do call a vet if you remained concerned tonorrow!

I agree with Lyn. Lots of time the pressure of them laying down exposes the vulva. Just keep an eye on her. She looks pretty far along. Good luck.

Looks exactly like my QH mare did a few weeks before she foaled. It was her 11th foal, alot of babies none bred by me.

I'd keep a very close eye on her, if you only see it when she's laying down its from the pressure of the baby.

But you know the golden rule........when in doubt call the vet.

Good luck

I just went out and checked her and she is acting normal. She acted and ate just fine tonight but I'm still going to watch her like a hawk. She has me nervous anyway with the foal because she went early last year and we lost a perfect buckskin and white paint filly with four white socks, two blue eyes, and a blaze face. Exactly what I wanted. She just didn't make it out of the sack. I was sick. So now I'm on pins and needles this year. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions, I'm going to get up a couple of times tonight and check on her but right now she's eating hay. She gave me that look, like "what are you looking at"!

I've had mares with pink exposed like this when they lay down especially the ones that have been rubbing & caused the inside to swell up some.

This is very common- it is one of those cases of "if you have not seen it before it is a shock"

If it's any consolation to you I had a mare do this- well, obviously I saw her do it for the first time- and I had a minor breakdown- it was a VERY bad year (
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) and she went on to foal normally. I think as they get older things tend to sag more (just like us!!) and this mare had had quite a few foals.

If you are in any doubt, obviously call a Vet for your piece of mind.

I am afraid with me, I just have to worry as my Vet now costs $200.00 just to come and look!!!

I can afford a nervous breakdown as I have the National Health Service, I cannot afford a Vet unless something is really wrong
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back