Need help on diet for mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
I know it's been a while since I've posted but have been lurking around when I can!

when I first got my mini I came here to ask questions and I loved all of the help everyone gave me.

But now I have a few more questions!

First one is: I was told that minis only needed a good grass hay, mineral block, fresh cool water and some treats once in a while.

Well that's what Ive been doing, not only for my mini stud but for my small standard donkey. They have the run of the place which is now a bare lot so to speak, nothing to graze on etc.

I've also been reading where other minis are being fed so many other things it is making me wonder if I am starving my two and it is killing me not knowing if I am or not.

Neither one of them have been working. They just wonder around because I started my A.S. in college last Jan. I love on them, give them baths, well my mini, not the donkey, he is still crazy wild but coming around.

They get carrots, apples, melons rinds ect about once a week.

Now the mini looks in great shape, I can't see his ribs but can feel them. I think he just needs something to do and to work on building up his muscle tone. The donkey is so shaggy looking and even though I know he's gained weight I can still see his backbone, but not his ribs.

So what CAN I feed them both besides just the hay? 2lbs of hay per each one is what they have been getting.

Since the donk is so hard to do anything with when I do catch him I walk him for about 20 minutes but that's like once a month.

The mini does anything I want him to do.

I need a exercise program for them both, a good solid feeding program etc.

Would it hurt them to walk over say.....6x6's laid out 6 feet apart for exercise or it that to much all of a sudden?

My mini is I believe around 10 to 12 years old, the donk is about 6 to 8 years old.

I love them both so much I have batteling with my hubby over getting rid of the donk because he has knocked me down twice. Not fair because since I have to use a walker just to walk it wasn't his fault, I was the stupid one!

Dang, didn't mean to write so much, but haven't had anyone else to ask!!

Any help and advice is purely welcome!!

Well I can tell you on the diet that our vet told us to just feed them a good grass hay. We have only had them a year and the man we bought them from was feeding them sweet feed so they were used to getting grain. We stopped the sweet feed after we got them a year ago and tried some different feeds and finally settled on Strategy. Our mare is nursing so she is getting more that normal right now, but our gelding is getting 1 lb a day divided between two feedings. I have noticed since feeding the Strategy his coat looks really shiny! I usually give them a carrot once a day too because they love them so much.
default_rolleyes.gif

Thank you Shannon ~S~

I will start changing their diets slowly. How boring it must be to eat them same ole thing every day heheh.

I think I will feed them Equine Adult and some BOSS since both of their coats are dull. Even after a good bath my minis coat doesn't shine at all.

Donk looks like a homeless hobo hehehe.

Thank you again for you help ~S~

Thank you Shannon ~S~

I will start changing their diets slowly. How boring it must be to eat them same ole thing every day heheh.

I think I will feed them Equine Adult and some BOSS since both of their coats are dull. Even after a good bath my minis coat doesn't shine at all.

Donk looks like a homeless hobo hehehe.

Thank you again for you help ~S~
There literally is dozens of different options you could go with. Something as basic as a ration balancer (no additional calories, just vitamins and minerals...feels like "feed" to them). There's usually a good deal of protein in a ration balancer too.

Some feed sweet feed, some pelleted feed. We do both. Our hard keeper is on a combination of Omolene 300 (sweet feed by Purina) and Amplify (a weight supplement also by Purina). The rest are on Strategy. Our 2 yr old is *so* easy to "keep" that she's getting 1/2lb split between two meals and I could probably take that down further because she's pudgy. The 2 yearlings are getting 1lb split between two meals. They look good, but would likely need to be "trimmer" if we were doing more showing.

Good luck with whatever you decide...it's a challenge sometimes!

Many times when people think their horses need to build some muscle, they actually just need to up their protein intake. If their toplines and around their hips are lacking, try to find a feed that will give them more protein. I feed enrich 32, a ration balancer for horses fed grass hay and grain. It works great!

One pound of hay a day for a mini horse or a mini donkey is NOT enough. At the MINIMUM for this time of year, that is what we would feed our NON active geldings PER FEEDING. We would actually be feeding 1.5% of their body weight. (Be sure to hand check the donkey's ribs too.)

Please be prepared to deal with problems when winter hits......We personally like to start beefing everyone up gradually as the temps begin to change. Everyone gets at least double rations for EACH FEEDING when night time temps plunge.

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. It is so nice when we have someone to ask questions of!

They are both going to be having their diet changed. They are getting grass hay now and from what I've read Jasper needs some straw to eat as well. So I will be adding some good straw to his diet. I will try try enrich or strategy, they both sound good for them.

I have noticed the last couple of days that my pygmy goat keeps eating Jasper's portion of hay. So he is going to be tied to the over line until feeding time is over and Jasper has finished his.

Thank you MiniV, that's what I did in the winter was double their portions to help keep them warm. I will get the ration balance and grains they need.

They are my babies and I love them. told my hubby next time he says get rid of Jasper he will be the one leaving hehehe.

You never know:RollEyes

Latest posts

Back