Need help deciding whether to give minis away

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizze98765

Reaction score
Hello everyone. It's been ages since I've posted on here so I doubt anyone knows me. And sorry ahead of time, it's kinda long! We began ambitiously trying to breed miniature horses about 4 years ago. Now we have one good mare, one with crooked legs, two geldings, a stallion, and a decent filly that was never registered. Needless to say, things haven't worked out the way we expected. I go to school full time and work, and my mother works full time also. We dont have the facilities to let them out 24/7, so they come into stalls at night. We absolutely LOVE them to death and the thought of getting rid of them breaks our hearts, but we just think that they might be better off with someone else because there's days that no one is home to turn them outside and they're stuck in their stalls all day.

Everyone here knows how much that minis are like dogs and love the constant attention (at least mine are!). We feel bad that we don't have the time to give it to them. Ideally, if we had a run in barn we could still let them in at night and open the door in the morning and not have to worry about hand walking the 6 minis and two big horses. We are the kind of people that only buy animals that we are going to keep forever as pets, but realize that in this situation it may not be the best idea. My question is, has anyone had this problem and is it possible to get rid of them as least traumatically as possible by keeping them together? I doubt that we could ever find anyone to take all 6 of them, but I would feel so bad if they were all separated. It's not their fault that we don't have the time for them. I would rather just give them all to someone that would keep them together instead of trying to sell them. Or give away four of them and keep two. I just want to ensure that they have good homes and wont just be turned out on pasture and never played with. That's what they're doing here. I was afraid though in giving away that it would draw the attention of people who would just be looking to make a dollar and turn around and sell them. Any opinions on what to do?? We're kind of at a loss because we don't want them to end up worse than they already are. Thanks a lot! Danielle [email protected]

Horses are always a lot of work, big or small. I think if a person is dedicated enough, they will make time to care for them.

I live alone and work full time- sometimes long hours, outside the home (ha, I have to to support my 'horse habit') I get up EARLY in the a.m. and feed my horses and do chores and make sure there are no issues with any and move the ones that need moved, if need be.

At night, many times I am out working after dark.

I do this because I love my horses and they are such a great stress reliever to me after my real job.

If no one in your family can find the time to spend with them and they are shut in all day, I personally believe that they would be better off with someone that has time to give them the attention they require.

Yep, horses change everything. I always heard that about kids, but horses are the same way. With our dogs and cats, we can just give extra food and know they will be ok. But since I've had horses, I get up at 6 every morning (I have forgotten what sleeping in feels like...although after chores are done, I can go back to sleep if I find the time), and I have no future plans of going out of town for an overnight stay. It can be very challenging, but I find that it is truly rewarding.

Where are you located?

I would rather just give them all to someone that would keep them together instead of trying to sell them.
Believe me, if you give them away they may end up being separated anyway..... To most people anything cheap or free becomes a throw a away when it interferes with their life......... I would rather they be placed in 6 individual caring homes than one temporary yippee home............. Over the last few years we have sold several of our broodmares that we bred, showed & raised that were 12-14 years old......... It took time to get them into a caring home & selling them below market value but so be it (we have one more bred mare to go) ..................... Even if you thought you had them placed in a caring home together outside forces changes peoples plans sometimes......... What about a contract stating you have the right to first refusal IF & when the new owner decides to get rid of them but enforcing it will be anothe matter. Lease?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean.......I haven't had a vacation for over 20 years. Not even a weekend get away anywhere and I am completely burned out and exhausted, but I remain dedicated because I haven't much left in this old world anymore in this world to look forward too.

You might consider just re-working your barn and fencing to be a run in situation so that you can keep them all.

I feel that separating them is being much more traumatic on you than it might be for them so due consider just trying to place one horse at a time. And carefully. For anyone to stand out there and say "6 free horses" is an open invitation to be lied to because anyone can run them through the auction for a quick buck. So if I were you, I would start with only people that you know plus your vet and farrier and have them spread the word but be very careful of "a friend of a friend" and leave it where you can easily get references.

Best wishes.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice to ask vets and farriers. I hadn't thought of that. I feel like crap because it sounds like people think that I'm not making time for them. We can't leave them out at night because coyotes are bad by my house and we don't have "predator safe" fencing. There is no way to rework pastures and fences and such to provide easy access to a barn. I love horses and have had them for 10 years. I put a lot of effort into them and get up every morning to take care of them, but the occassion has often arisen where I get up at 6 and then after work and school I'm home at midnight. And I can't keep the horses and give up work or school. It's not because I dont love them that I might have to get rid of them. My thinking that separating them would be traumatic is because we have two mother/baby sets that were never weaned. *cringe* yeah yeah i know. But we don't even have the facilities to do that. So they've been together in the same stalls for 3 years. I am near Indianapolis by the way to the person that asked. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Danielle

Danielle,

You obviously love your horses and want the best for them. If you feel you aren't giving them adequate attention versus adequate care that is a personal call. You stated in your post -

I just want to ensure that they have good homes and wont just be turned out on pasture and never played with.

Our minis love attention, but are very happy and healthy out on pasture 24/7. We don't live in your climate though (use to live in Indianapolis so know what that is like!), nor do we have a predator issue here. Personally I worry more about dogs - pets & feral ones - than coyotes.

It is a difficult decision you face, but maybe reducing your work load will make it easier. You can always try to sell them, and just be picky about where they go. Placing six at once can be difficult at best, but you can try.

Best of luck.

Danielle you started out with big dreams and now they have crumbled.

I am so sorry but I admire the fact that you are facing up to those problems.

Step one, GELD anything that is not gelded.

Believe me IF you give them away they will all be bred- the filly with the crooked legs??

Who cares??

I'm sorry but the first step as I see it is to make sure your boy, however good he is, does not produce any more foals.

Then I would contact CMHR and see what can be done- go to the Rescue Forum here and post all this on there.

Good Luck, and I hope all works out for you.
default_smile.png

Danielle you started out with big dreams and now they have crumbled.

I am so sorry but I admire the fact that you are facing up to those problems.

Step one, GELD anything that is not gelded.

Believe me IF you give them away they will all be bred- the filly with the crooked legs??

Who cares??

I'm sorry but the first step as I see it is to make sure your boy, however good he is, does not produce any more foals.

Then I would contact CMHR and see what can be done- go to the Rescue Forum here and post all this on there.

Good Luck, and I hope all works out for you.
default_smile.png
I agree with Rabbitsfizz on this 100%, BUT a newly gelded horse needs to be out where he can get lots of exercise, NOT cramped up in a stall. Being cramped in a stall COULD lead to his death. Difficult situation. Needs to be gelded before he goes and needs room to exercise before he is gelded.
default_wacko.png
:

Ok well my 2 cents is of course only you know your situation and what might be best however... contrary to popular belief here on this fourm.. Many horses all over this country are stalled not left out in pastures 24/7 - and they do just fine. They are horses in the top peak of condition and at the top of there game which means not only physically but mentally as well. and GASP some of those horses actually have at least one day a week where they are not let out, some have a couple days a week where they are out for a mere couple of hours. So if that is your ONLY reason I would think about that. Go to some of the top competitive barns heck not only that but race horses, olympic horses and yes they do stay stalled , get worked and of course have some off time to be turned out and be a horse but if you think they are sitting around in a pasture 24/7 you are wrong. There is more then one way to keep a horse and to keep them happy and healthy.

Just another side
default_smile.png

My horses are stalled in 12X12 stalls year round. We live in a city and there isn't a pasture to be seen for cities and cities away.

I have had horses gelded and stalled and they are fine. My horses are only "turned out" for less than an hour a day. They are happy and healthy and have NO bad stall habits and are Grand Champion winners at our local shows. As long as a housing situation is SAFE there isn't a good or bad about pasture versus stalls.

Andrea

Danielle, I'm also in Indiana...if you really want to place them, I know someone who isn't far who would take them and find good homes for them for you. I'm sure CMHR would be willing to help as well, but if the geographics get in the way, let me know. Diana runs a wonderful rescue in Toledo and wouldn't bat an eye at going to Indy. She's a not-for-profit as well, so you could get a tax write off for a "donation" if it comes to that.

PM me if you want her information. I wish I could help you...I'm splitting at the seams here though (too many horses and not any more room).

Tracy

Thanks everyone. I was happy to see the couple posts from people that stall their horses. I think part of the problem is that we live in the country (certifiable with corn, cows, and not much else!) and most people here dont believe in stalling horses at all and turning them out rain or shine. We have 4 acres for 6 minis and 2 big horses. Since we don't have much land they dont have acres and acres to roam on anyway . We moved from the city and always had our big horses at boarding barns where they were turned out, but not all day every day. I wouldn't want that for our minis because of the situations I described anyway. I honestly believe that when horses are used to being stalled that they enjoy their stalls. We built them specially for the minis. They are 10x10 with walls that they can all see over. Ours are creatures of habit and there's days when you can tell they would rather be in their stalls than outside in the snow. I had one stand in the doorway of the barn when it was snowing and refuse to walk outside! We even have one mini that will refuse to stand up if she has ice in her hooves! She will lay down until it melts and falls off or if someone picks it out. I'm rambling, but I did want to say thanks for the advice. We love them very much and enjoy taking care of them. After the posts, I realized that I guess the issue was whether we were too guilty about leaving them in the stalls on those occasional days that they can't go out. The will always be able to go outside from morning till night on sat, sun, and mon. Most other days they can go out at least 2 hours if not more. So I think that I will try and keep my babies until I can afford to build a barn with stalls that opens up to the pasture instead of the horrible concrete one now that they can't run in and out of. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back