Need gift advice again this year!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HobbsFarm

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I posted this last year and y'all had some awesome ideas about what to give someone (my grandfather) who lives in a nursing home, hates being there and thinks he's going home one day. It is so difficult to buy Christmas gifts for someone in this situation. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I will list the great ones from forum members posted last year and hope that someone will contribute a few more this year since I have used most of these already.
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=14pt]Handmade knotted fleece throw with a print that is meaningful to them.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14pt]Coupons for things like bringing them a special meal or reading them a book, etc.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14pt]Framed pictures of family.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14pt]The BEST gift IMO... I bought a brown container from the craft section at Walmart that comes with a lid. It's a thick paper-like material. I painted both pieces with a cute design. On the outside, around the container, I painted "Have a treat from Guy". And I filled it with bite sized Snickers, Reece's, etc. Then in the bottom, I painted something about needing a refill so you could see it when the candy gets low. My grandfather will never accept the fact that he has had a stroke and cannot take care of himself. He is very bitter about the fact that he is there and that is why this candy dish was such a great idea. The candy is really for the workers, nurses, and the people that live there too and want to be his friend. They come by to say hello and get a piece of candy. It makes him feel important and special. To my knowledge, he's the only one with something like this in his room. My mom keeps it filled with the good stuff![/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14pt]I'm getting him a digital photo frame loaded with family pictures this year, but still need more gift ideas if you have them![/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Thanks so much! Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Hi Shannon
default_biggrin.png

Well as you know I worked at a nursing home for years and the first thing that comes to mind is a ...

*Bird Feeder(s) placed outside his window .... the eldery love this
default_yes.gif
(it is my Grandma's entertainment too... she loves it!)

* a magazine subscription .... I get my Grandma "Oregon Coast" mag ....she loves the pictures and the memories

* and maybe some cozy "skid" proof slippers .... sheep skin would be perfect as it does both ...keeps the tootsies warm in the colder months and cool and dry in the HOT ones.

**the treat box was a BIG hit when I worked as well ...good for you and your family keeping it filled all year.

We saw this nice gesture from the familys usually around the holidays

*** what a great idea about the digital picture frame .... I think my Grandma would like something like that too
default_wink.png

I also write my Grandma EVERYDAY ... she gets my cards everyday on her dinner tray .... she loves it!

[SIZE=14pt]Great ideas Teri! My grandfather used to love watching birds at the feeders at his house. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]That is super sweet of you to write Grandma everyday. You are an angel![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I forgot to mention special thing that I am really going to try to do this year for my grandfather is to take Peter Pan up to the nursing home for a visit. I think that would make him proud!
default_yes.gif
[/SIZE]

This year my brother got my dad a personal CD player and we now get him audio books and CDs that he enjoys. He can listen to it and not bother anyone else.

He has gotten very dillusional and these seem to calm him when the nurses turn them on.

Those are great ideas, especially the photo frame. I was in a nursing home for 13 LONG days and I had my computer there and used the photos screen saver for my sanity.

I have to say that the absolutely most important and best thing to me was when people came to visit. Give generously of your time, take him for 'walks' in his wheelchair, bring a movie and watch with him. Offer to write letters for him if he can't write. Random cheerful cards and notes are good. If he likes animals, bring a pet to visit.

Bring audio books for him to enjoy. Bed socks to keep his feet warm in bed. A miniature decorated Christmas tree would be good. We buy the little artificial trees with the burlap bases and hot glue them to to a braided chair seat, you know they look like a round braided rug. We glue them off center, then decorate with little lights, ornaments, then put a tiny stuffed toy and fake wrapped gifts, all hot glued. They are so cute, I have one I keep at work to put out every year.

Decorate his bulletin board for Christmas too, help him do Christmas cards.

Trust me, you will never regret the time you spend with him.

OK I'm jumping in here. I work at a Nursing Home as a RN also
default_wink.png
and LOVE the residents.

This is what I say alot of them need and I am only being honest.

Clothes that FIT. Alot of the residents gain or lose weight and the family seem to bring in treats and stuff like that and don't notice the clothes. And unless he can dress himself, button shirts and zip pants with adjustable waists.

Esp socks, underwear, TShirts, nightclothing. Alot of the residents underclothing are so thin you could see thru them.

I took two of the foals this year- Stella and Michelle to the Nursing Home and they LOVED it. I took them just prior to lunchtime and sat outside the dining room with them in my lap. The residents were in love. I take pics of the foals as they are born and tape them to my cart and it stimulates their minds and gets them thinking. I ask them what color they are and what they think for names, ect.

I'm glad you are visiting your grandfather. It is so sad that many of them have no visitors. I give lots of hugs every day.
default_wink.png

I've lost my daddy now but we did the bird feeder thing and also bought those cheap large bags of birseed..depending on what kind of birds, I usually got sunflower seeds..I also out one up outside the rooms on either side of him and they all could watch each others..

When we visited Carl would go our and fill them all, but staff did it other times. They enjoyed them too!

Maxine

Latest posts

Back