Need Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Ashley...

This is a tough choice and ultimately one that only you can make. But I will give you what my thoughts are since you asked.

I understand why you won't move back in with your parents as you told me. You are right... You need to be on your own as you don't need those added family pressures in your life. But is there any one else you can live with if you really had to? I would specifically look for a room mate or even rent a room from another relative that is not your parents that would understand your needs if it came to that.

Next, I lived on my own (well with hubby) and we both went to school at the same time and I worked full time and he worked part time plus was in the Air Guard. It was a HUGE challenge to both of us, but I didn't give up my animals to do so and he didn't give up his hobbies as with all of that one still needs to make time to have something pleasurable in ones life so you can find a few minutes a week to relax some. I would definately cut down on the horses, but you will have lots of study time that you need to do, and I did it in the same room as my dogs were in and even let them lay on my lap if they wanted while I studied. Your dogs will understand that you love them and you can be with them while studying!

As far as your fears. Let me tell you what my dad told me when I was worried if I could do school and work and how to pay for it all. Dad basically said this...

"When you have a job, you are at the mercy of the person who writes the check. Nothing is guaranteed. You could go to work tomorrow and not have a job when you get to the end of the day. What will you do then? Remember that there is no such thing as security when it comes to having a job. Now if you choose to make school your priority, then you will of course have all the stress that comes with it for the short length of time that the schooling will take. It can be a huge financial issue but once you have that degree or schooling, it is yours forever. No matter what happens in life down the road, that knowledge is yours and no one can take it from you. That knowledge will forever change your life in more ways than just financially."

Then I was like what if I loose my job? What if I can't afford to pay back the student loans after I am done?

Dad's reply was "What is the worst that can happen? You file bankruptcy? Well, that degree is still yours. And if you loose your job, well, you could still have to file bankruptcy and since you put your job first and didn't do school, then you won't even have the knowledge to fall back on. In the long run you will be much further ahead if you choose to educate yourself than if you work the rest of your life doing what you are doing now, and being unhappy with what you are doing now."

Looking back, Dad was right. I am MUCH further ahead now. While I still work for someone else, I have the knowledge that allowed me to obtain a job that is paying 3 times as much as my previous one and the hours are great and people treat me with respect. Yep, had some really rough times financially for a while, but now at least I can hold my head high and say "I did this by myself without any one else's aid." It is one of my proudest accomplishments in my life as I am not one that has an easy time with school. (major test anxiety is just part of it.)

Anyway, I know it is hard, but I would say to put yourself and your future first in life which means go to school and make it your first priority. Gain the knowledge that you can now before you get involved with the love of your life and decide that you want a family of your own. Then worry about your job as after all, they could just as easily lay you off as they could move you to another department.

Besides, I know you have issues with the people there where you work and that you are not really happy. Make yourself happy by giving yourself a way out of that place. Schooling will be your way out. Sign up, and go to school and make it your number one priority. Most companies work around the school schedules and often you have to talk with the HR department to get it worked out. Your current foreman may say ok, but get the people in charge of hiring on your side as they can help direct you to the shifts you need to stay in school. Also verify that your company does or does not have education assistance programs. If they have a deal where they pay for part of your education, use it if you can as that is free money to you!

Also, ask the school if they offer those classes at other times where you could transfer to a different shift if your work has to put you on a different shift. That may help alleviate any pressure from that end of it.

I know you can do this. You are a smart lady and you can do what ever you set your heart to. Take care of yourself first as no one else in will do that for you...

Hugs!

YOU GO, ASHLEY !!!!
aktion033.gif

Education is so important and I commend you for trying to do both! Based on my experience, employers admire their people who are motivated enough to continue their education and will make accommodations.

Go forth, Ashley, and "DROP THE ROPE" (don't worry and hope for the best)!
wink.gif

Cindy

Work will pay part if it relates to the company.

I will cut back on horses, which I need to do anyway, but can seem to sell them even for give away. I will be cutting back to my colt, my main broodmare, and probably her grandchild from this year. Not for sure yet who the 3 horse will be for sure. I know the one I will never sell, and the other I have no plans at this time to sell, but life is ever changeing so you never know.

My one mare I cant ever sell as she has been around from day one, she is almost 9. She and my gelding were raised together and when they were foals the two of them drug me across the yard until I finally gave up and let them go. Minus the scraps and brusies I came out of that fine.
rolleyes.gif

If you are taking core classes then they may pay for that as those classes are needed for any major
wink.gif
. I would definately ask them to pay for the classes. After all, what is the worst that they would say? No? Nothing ventured nothing gained. But at least it will open the door to a longer discussion with HR on maybe getting you transfered to department with the required shift that is stable and not going to be phased out before your schooling starts.

And I understand about not getting rid of the special ones. Some things just are not open to negotiations and I feel the same as you about my special ones!

Latest posts

Back