need advice or ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams

Reaction score
the stallion i rescued in novembr was a sweet heart when he was in poor condition. Now that he is feeling better and sound he is a terror. He attacks any boy within reach (big or small) and has broken fence and stall boards to get at them. He is constantly runnning laps and running the fence line in his paddock and attacking the gate to try to get out. Last night he compleatly broke down the stall wall between him and my other stallion and beat the heck out of him. I thought since he is sound now and feet are looking pretty good maby if i gave him a job it would tire him out abit and maby he would relax so i put him in the cart for the past week with no improvement. ( i think he is just going to get fitter and stronger). He has very good manners with people and does nothing wrong when we drive past other horses (except nikker). The vet said he is a high risk case for castrating and that he would not recommend it, he said to maby tranq him every day but i wont do that. I was thinking maby he needs a companion in the feild and stalled beside him. I dont want him to be alone all the time because that is what is causing his anxiety. Should i try a goat? Male? Female? Try to find a barren mare for him? (dont want to be producing any unregisterable foals) Some other type of animal like a lama or a sheep? Sorry my post is so long i just dont know what to do with him

I would geld him. I don't know why a vet would not recommend gelding ANY stallion, but would recommend daily sedation?!?

Andrea

Yikes! The absolute first thing I would do is get a different Vet!! I never heard of such a stupid thing in my life as daily sedation! He needs to be gelded and now. His temprament is probably the reason he was starved and neglected to begin with. Please get a different Vet out before he kills one of your other animals! This poor boy is not happy at all, he will feel so much better as a gelding. What did your Vet give as an excuse that he was "high risk" for gelding??

I think I remember you coming on here a few months back, and everyone told you the same thing, get a different vet.

He needs to be gelded. It may not be a cure all, but it needs to be done. I am a firm believer that rescue stallion/colts NEED to be gelded, I only wish there was a cost effective way to take care of rescue mares and fillies reproductive abilities too.

If it were me, I would NOT buy him a buddy. I would save that money and find a different vet with a second opinion.

GELD> GELD> GELD> GELD and get a new vet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even old stallions can be gelded. There may be more bleeding involved so more care will be required. I did a 14 year old stallion because he was such a handful.(stayed overnight at the vets to keep an eye on his bleeding) Now he is a driving horse for an older couple who just love him. He runs with other Minis (geldings) is much happier and much more CALM!!

Before that, I used REGUMATE to chemically castrate him, but that is an expensive way to go. It was the only way to show him as a driving stallion. I WOULD NOT RECOMEND IT for a rescue horse who should have been gelded right away.

Quite often stallions with undescended testicles, cryptorchid, have miserable temperaments. I am assuming this is the reason he is not a good candidate for gelding??? It can still be done but it is a more costly operation. A companion animal is not likely to help any in this situation and could easily get the companion animal injured.

We had a stallion years ago that we leased for a season that acted the same way. He had never been abused or neglected, was just a jerk :). He couldn't be around any other boys, was fine with all the girls, but at night would hit the walls in the barn with his teeth so hard that we could hear it in the house. Also broke off a couple of his teeth that way. He was fine with people, but very, very studdy around other horses. He simply had no manners. He went back soon :).

If he would have been mine, I would have gelded him. And no, buying a buddy doesn't help IMO. It just gives them an extra thing to "protect". Plus, I have seen studs like that, that have turned on thier "buddy" when there is nothing else to torment. Not something you want to deal with.

Good luck.

Why does the vet say it's high risk?

Just curious before we throw the vet under the bus.

the vet is worried about his age (20) and the fact that he is still so skinny and infested with worms. (he has been wormed 4 times since i got him in Feb and still infested
default_wacko.png
) As for passing on his attitude i actually have one of his daughters and she is the sweetest thing
default_wub.png
, i think is attitude is because of the neglect and not the reason for it. The reason for it was out right ignorant stupidity. But i will be making an appointment for another vet to come out and give me her opinion next week.

Are you using the correct wormer for the type of worms he is "infested" with? I would question after 4 wormings WHY is he still infested??? And after 4 months of good feeding he should not be still "so skinny" unless there is another reason for his thinness. Have you had his teeth checked? Perhaps he is cranky because he is in pain which could also account for his thinness. 20 years old is not too old to geld. It may take longer to improve his behaviour but I would suspect that there is more to this than the surface.

I can understand a vet being hesitant about gelding a skinny, wormy, old stallion coming back from a neglect situation.

I can't understand why the vet hasn't offered you more help in resolving the "skinny and wormy" part of the problem.

Edit: I see you are getting another vet! Way to go!!! I think gelding is the best and happiest solution to the issues
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Geld Geld Geld and I myself would not trust putting another animal in with him if he is that unpredictable. He would definitely kill a goat IMO. Good luck - I hope you can find a vet to geld him for you soon.

FOR PARASITES USE 5 DAY POWER PACK OF PANACUR. IT KILLS MOST BUGS AND DOESN'T CLOG UP THE INSIDES. AND THEN GELD. I'M DOING THAT TO ONE OF MY SHETLAND STALLIONS THAT IS GETTING OUT OF HAND. GOOD LUCK!

Latest posts

Back