Need advice on a camera system...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
I need some advice on a wireless camera system that I can hook up to a TV (or laptop) in the house and also put on marestare. This system won't get a lot of repeat use as I will be having one and only one foal born here in spring from a mare I bought bred and have no intentions of doing any breeding in the future. So I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I do at least want a decent picture! I have a wood barn and will have to have at least 300 feet of transmission to the house (probably a bit more)

Can anyone advise me on what would be a good system and also on all the components I need to hook up to Mare Stare?

Thanks- Jen

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question...has anyone used one of the wired systems and just rolled the wire out on the ground between the house and the barn for the time it was in use? One of the websites I read said it can be done instead of burying it. Has anyone tried that? Could that be an alternative to wireless?

We have used both the 'wired' and 'wireless' cameras. In our case, the wired gave a much better picture. And, yes, we just ran the cord from the barn to a window in our bedroom. We kept the wire aerial. Stayed out in the weather, and we never had any problems with it. We purchased both at Wal-Mart.

Pam C.

This is the system I have, I just asked for the price for a single camera with a 1000' LOS transmission (line of sight, but this is drastically reduced by any obstructions). The price was very good compared to alot of places. I don't know if it is compatable with a computer, but it works well on a tv.

http://4spycameras.com/5bwcawibasy.html

If spring comes sooner than you expected, and you are in a bind, drop me a line.

Carolyn

I am guessing you get what you pay for - but I've also gone with what I can afford.

I have 2 of the wireless baby monitors (human baby) the camera is set up in the barn roof and 'looks' down on them - can see most of my stall and overall pic while black and white comes in fairly well. One I bought new at Walmart the other used off ebay and both worked just the same.

My biggest issue was moving the antenna in my sleep and having to wake up to snow - reajust to get picture in.

I will never be 100% sure but I believe that camera saved my Perlino colt this spring - I saw the birth starting on the monitor ran outside and stood outside my stall door wanting to give mom some room but be there to watch this miracle and assist if need be. He did not break the sac and while it was only seconds for me to realize this and open the stall door this startled mom who partly stood up/adjusted and the sac broke/opened before I had to physically ripe it open... it seemed like slow-mo and a life time but it was less than a min of OMG maybe he would have gotten out but I thank GOD I was waking up and checking and being a worry 'mom' to be.

This 4spy site has a wireless with one cam (receiver can expand to 3 cams) that transmits 400' and is only $147.
default_wink.png
That might be good for "one use". These cams are good for other uses than marestare.......like sick horse, or what's going on in the barn at night
default_laugh.png

This 4spy site has a wireless with one cam (receiver can expand to 3 cams) that transmits 400' and is only $147.
default_wink.png
That might be good for "one use". These cams are good for other uses than marestare.......like sick horse, or what's going on in the barn at night
default_laugh.png

Do you mean this one:

http://www.4hiddenspycameras.com/24ghzwicaand.html

I'm confused because that says it will view and record everything in it's sight for 400ft, not that it will transmit wireless for 400ft LOS. I'm going to call them today and find out.

This is the system I have, I just asked for the price for a single camera with a 1000' LOS transmission (line of sight, but this is drastically reduced by any obstructions). The price was very good compared to alot of places. I don't know if it is compatable with a computer, but it works well on a tv.http://4spycameras.com/5bwcawibasy.html

If spring comes sooner than you expected, and you are in a bind, drop me a line.

Carolyn
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to call today and find out a single or double camera price! Thanks for the offer also, I was hoping I could keep your number handy in case I need any help/advice when the special time comes!

Jen

Hi Carolyn,

We have used both wireless and wired cameras and the wired version wins. That means that you have to run the wire. I can be laid on the ground, but adding some protection is better. Not sure where you live or how far it is to the barn? There are a couple of options, putting the wire/cable in plastic conduit or just covering it with some material. There is wire and cable available that is made to be buried and it is much tougher than normal wire/cable, also more expensive. There is no doubt that being able to see the barn is a huge plus. Good luck.

Kenny Goodsell

Hi Carolyn,
Thanks for the link. I'm going to call today and find out a single or double camera price! Thanks for the offer also, I was hoping I could keep your number handy in case I need any help/advice when the special time comes!

Jen
No problem Jen. I have a couple books too, if you want to read up on things in the meantime.

Carolyn

Yes, Jen, that is the one to which I was referring. My interprtation is that the 400' was approx distance from cam to receiver....so, ask them. I have a foal alert system with 4 cams, underground cable in conduit. Works fantastically! BUT, I breed so very little now....yrs past, when I bought it, had more mares than cams to watch
default_laugh.png
So, worked with couple stalls on one cam, etc. This single wireless is of interest to me for the reason of being able to set it up in a location other than the main barn! It's also night vision - woo hoo.
default_laugh.png
Like I said, sometimes things/areas other than a foaling mare is a place to use a cam.

I mean, this could be set up and moved as needed. We see threads about marauding animals, sick animals (they are usually not in the main barn!), etc. This cam could be well utilized simply due to its mobility since wireless. Recording is available, audio and can work on my computer. Now, wonder if you could access it via computer from afar??? OK, another issue
default_wacko.png

The one thing I would miss with this set up and foal watch -- my other alert system has the pager to let me know the mare is laying out. Thus, I can fall asleep and be awakened to watch THEM sleeping better than me
default_wub.png
Most of us have been there -- and let me say, it is a price I am happy to pay for their safety.
default_wub.png
But, with only one mare you could probably enlist others to help watch thru the nights.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the cheap one from Radio Shack same as the walmart one 2 cameras and monitor, under 100.00 I think. It was wireless and worked ok, I converted it to wired. I love being able to check all my horses ANYTIME I want to. The 4 cameras and monitor and converter was under 150.00. PIECE OF MIND PRICELESS. I've had it for 4 years now without ONE hiccup.

Another question...has anyone used one of the wired systems and just rolled the wire out on the ground between the house and the barn for the time it was in use? One of the websites I read said it can be done instead of burying it. Has anyone tried that? Could that be an alternative to wireless?

I can give you several reasons why NOT to use the roll out wire system. I have one of these wires running between our house and barn and want hubby to bury it. The wire is a pain in the butt when cutting the lawn. People especially the elderly and kids coming to visit will trip over it. Dogs like to play with it and even try to run away with it.!!!

But I love my camera system. And use it year round, not just for foaling. Great for weanlings, stallions, any horse that may not be feeling well. I can even check my water buckets over the camera.

You,ve had a lot of good suggestions Jen. I'll just add my experiences.

First we had a wired system and just ran the wire overground from barn to house. worked great and with only one or two mares to watch the wire wasn't out terribly long. We just moved it out of the way to mow. Now we have the wired system with 4 wires in conduit underground....problem.....2 of the wires have gone out and can't be replaced easily or cheaply. They were underground for about 8 years before problems arose and it appears that the problems were from what went on in the barn rather than underground.

Now we also have a cheap wireless cam from Radio Shack and it works great. Metal barn. Cam must be in a window to transmit, but this works well as we have windows over every stall. Good reception.

So we are using both wired and wireless and happy with both. The wireless system was cheap....around $100 and the wired was cheap also, around $250-300 with 4 cameras.

Maybe, since you just need it for a one time watch you could just borrow a system?

Charlotte

I just bought a wired system this weekend from Harbor Freight...$30 on sale! LOL One camera w/ night vision and 80' of wire. I'll have to buy more wire at Radio Shack. Right now plans are to just run the wire on top of the ground....possibly thru an old hose where it will be "exposed" to the dogs and foot traffic. I'm just looking forward to being able to watch from inside until the time comes!!!!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back