Need Advice for Yearling's Foot Problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baptism

Reaction score
We bought a coming yearling this spring from a bad situation. Her feet had never been trimmed. They were very long, she was walking on her pasterns/back heels. We got her home and trimmed her up with a good angle then had to deal with two weeks of laminitis from the drastic change. That all cleared up just fine. Trimmed her again on Sunday with a good angle. Problem is she keeps rolling back on her heels/pasterns. You can see she will place her foot correctly but then rolls back. We are thinking it is a muscle/tendon sort of problem but don't know what to do next. We thought about shoes but being a finely built little filly there isn't much hoof wall to work with.

We are presently talking to vets and farriers but live in a sort of remote area so IF we can get someone to come to us we want to know if they know their stuff or not. So, opinions on treatment options please, or your experiences with something like this. We will travel to get the right help for this little filly. She is such a sweetheart.

Thank you very much.

She will be muscle/tendon sore for a while and needs to develop those areas with the new angle putting use on different muscle/tendon groups & areas and shortening/lengthening of some. Think of it as your own self taking a hike up a mountain terrain and you normally do not -- wow, pass the Aleve!
default_yes.gif
And, her joints will be sore from same thing plus the positioning of the bone to a new angle.

So, while she needs to use those muscles to build them, she will be sore from it. I've used BL solution for such discomfort with good success -- with her age you are not dealing with the concerns of the catclaw in it which can cause issues for a preggers mare. And, my vet had a tube of past that I got for a stallion who injured himself and we knew there would be pain, it was about $18 a tube, once a day dose and purportedly not ulcer inducing. Yeah, I can't think of the name!!!!!!!! But, it shore worked well.

Glue on shoes....with extensions on rear to help support her legs. Possibly an elastic wrap for the pastern and up the lower leg to help give some "structure" for a short while, during a portion of the day...off when confined to rest. A good linament (absorbine, etc) may give her some short term comfort.

Just a few ideas I'm throwing out there --- maybe the "laminitis" was actually sore muscle?

Last edited by a moderator:
She will be muscle/tendon sore for a while and needs to develop those areas with the new angle putting use on different muscle/tendon groups & areas and shortening/lengthening of some. Think of it as your own self taking a hike up a mountain terrain and you normally do not -- wow, pass the Aleve!
default_yes.gif
And, her joints will be sore from same thing plus the positioning of the bone to a new angle.

So, while she needs to use those muscles to build them, she will be sore from it. I've used BL solution for such discomfort with good success -- with her age you are not dealing with the concerns of the catclaw in it which can cause issues for a preggers mare. And, my vet had a tube of past that I got for a stallion who injured himself and we knew there would be pain, it was about $18 a tube, once a day dose and purportedly not ulcer inducing. Yeah, I can't think of the name!!!!!!!! But, it shore worked well.

Glue on shoes....with extensions on rear to help support her legs. Possibly an elastic wrap for the pastern and up the lower leg to help give some "structure" for a short while, during a portion of the day...off when confined to rest. A good linament (absorbine, etc) may give her some short term comfort.

Just a few ideas I'm throwing out there --- maybe the "laminitis" was actually sore muscle?

oops, touched a wrong button when doing a reply, will try this again...

She had heat in her hooves, was treated with bute. It was inflammation, no joint pain noticeable. That is all in the past now. The problem now is to get her to stand on the bottoms of her feet and not the backs of them so muscle, tendons, etc. can correct themselves.

Good for you for taking on this youngster.

Like Bess said, glue on shoes if needed. Minis don't have enough hoof for nails.

I would also strongly suggest Progressive's Rejuvenaid. An oral liquid vitamin mineral supplement designed to help with soft tissue issues. We've had very good luck with it in the past. rejuvenaid Sometimes in as little as a week you can see an improvement in those tendon and ligament problems. It would be worth a try. I 'think' you can get a free sample from their web site.

Good luck with her and please let us know how she comes along.

Charlotte

p.s. Be careful with Bute. It's really not recommended for minis. Banamine is usually used instead.

Agreed with the others. Keep in mind this is not a quick fix but she will probably come around in due time. Probably by winter with any luck. Try just rasping once a week straight across then up and down and square the toes off, don't round them.

Get her on a really good food program if she isn't already. Be sure she is getting adequate protein and minerals. To be possitive, I'd recommend a Purina Ration Balancer Enrich 32 in with her already food program, about 1 cup twice a day. It will not make her gain weight, but it will cover all her basis where she could be lacking and areas she needs help with. Outside play time is key to strengthen those sore tendons and muscles. She will ralley! Good luck and best wishes.
default_aktion033.gif

Lots of excellent advice......

I also wanted to caution you about the Bute. We use Banamine, but not for long term because of the possibilities of ulcers.

We've had excellent response with BL Solution, which was mentioned above. It is NOT Bute, but an all natural alternative. We've used the pelleted version. It also comes in liquid.

Rejuvenaid was offered free a few weeks back, they paid for shipping and everything. It works wonders believe me, I used it on a foal with weak legs and his legs look terrific now. Not perfect but you should have seen them to begin with. His momma stepped on him "to boot" so his improvment has been remarkable. I am attributing this to Rejuvenaid.

I am currently using it on my 31 year old mare, and feel it cannot hurt her, and will probably help. I will let you know on that one, just started it on her two days ago - it does recommend the use for foals, weanling, younger horses that are still growing.

I also put my vote in for Rejuvenaide! My colt had his front legs bowing out from the tendons being so lax and within a few days of the Rejuvenaide and some stall rest he was very much improved. It may work a little slower on your yearling because of the length of time she has had to deal with her leg issues but I bet it would help her in the long run. Best wishes for her!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back