Need Advice for LICE :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapestry Minis

Reaction score
Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it's just another spark to light the fire of rage I have for the scum that we repoed our horses from. Buck has been REAL itchy and I just thought it was from him loosing his winter hair and some dried sweat/dirt build up on his skin/hair. So I took advantage of the really nice day today and gave him a bath. I've never had to deal with it so I'm not sure if it is but I think he has lice. Sure could use some help/advice. I shampooed him with MicroTek but I don't think it covers lice. Our lows at night are still dropping below freezing so I can't imagine clipping him yet. Help please!

They say oral ivermectin and some sort or permitherin treatment every 2 Weeks for 3 treatments should do it. If its warm enough for baths, you can use a flea shampoo. Its not here quite yet, so we have to use sprays or dusts.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of dry (powder) lice/flea "baths" on the market. That, along with ivermectin, should do the trick. I bought a horse with lice and i got rid of them very quickly that way (in addition to throwing out the brushes I used on her etc.....).

Lots of fly sprays carry permethrins which will kill lice. You only need 0.1% to work. I would treat the whole herd just in case it was to spread.

Thank you everyone for the tips will give them a try. He was de-wormed over two weeks ago with ivermectin but I think I'm going to do him and the other again with some Equimax. I'm now paranoid ...LOL Do I have to worry about getting lice or my 16 month old son? He's not been close to them but do I have to worry about bringing it in the house with me?!

I also washed Buck with my nice Oster rubber curry do is there a way I can disinfect it instead of having to throw it away?

I will probably do all of our minis that we got back from these people as I'm sure they have them too and if not I'm sure they do now as I brushed them all yesterday with the same shedding. They must have been dug in deep because when the vet was out on Feb 20th he said he didn't see any creepy crawlies.

YES you can get lice from the horses.You will itch if they get on you.Quick treatment without bathing on very hairy horses-get the stuff you put on large dogs for fleas and ticks.comes in a tube that you cut off the end.Put 1 tube atpoll and down inside of mane another down the back to base of tail 1 treatment usually does the trick.Make sure the ingredient is premethrin(sp) I have lots of birds in my barn=lots of lice.You can usually get the stuff at a Tractor supply Store or feed, animal health store.I keep some on hand all the time.

No, you will not get lice from horses. Lice are species-specific. They may bite/suck you, but they won't live on you and set up camp.

I use ProZap dust for lice on my horses, you can get it in a shaker can. I used to buy it from AMerican Livestock, but they closed up shop the end of December. I don't know where I'll buy it from in the future, but did a google search and found this place: http://www.qcsupply.com/prozap-insectrin-dust-shaker.html Wanted to at least show you the can.

Durasect II (or the liquid for horses that is similar (can't recall the name) - 5 ccs drizzled down the spine from the withers to the tail head done on Day 1 and Day 14. This has been our treatment, as per vet advice, and has worked great. Just make sure the liquid gets down to the skin - we use a syringe. Don't have to worry about the cold weather and clipping with this treatment.

I found Durasect II but doesnt look like its for horses. How do you know which one to use like this and how much? I have had to deal with lice before and did get a new horse with lice late last year. I did the powder but am now worried what I will find when I start body clipping this year... Would love to go ahead and treat my herd before I start body clipping as when Ifind them I get all grossed out.

Your grooming tools can be washed (we like Clorox Clean up) and laid out in the sun to dry.

This is good for you to do on a regular basis. We take a 5 gallon water bucket, fill it 1/2-2/3 of water, add clorox clean up and the cleaned (remove as much hair as you can) brushes and combs, wait 10-15 min. rinse and let dry. In the winter we lay them bristles side down on a towel in the barn.

I found Durasect II but doesnt look like its for horses. How do you know which one to use like this and how much? I have had to deal with lice before and did get a new horse with lice late last year. I did the powder but am now worried what I will find when I start body clipping this year... Would love to go ahead and treat my herd before I start body clipping as when Ifind them I get all grossed out.
The horse version is much more expensive. So, the vet suggested the Durassect II to save us some bucks. Worked great for us.

The horse version is much more expensive. So, the vet suggested the Durassect II to save us some bucks. Worked great for us.
Do you use 5cc of the Durasect II drizzled down the spine? And does it matter the size of the mini? I've got full growns from 25"-36" so just wanted to double check.

Livestock dust (from farms stores such as TSC) work well. I do all my horses every spring just in case.

Thank you everyone for all the help it is greatly appreciated. The dust said it had to be applied with a bag? I didn't see one at the feed store and they are tremendously unhelpful there so I opted for the dog spot on treatment and will be cloroxing the heck out of my combs (Thanks Joanne).

Am dealing with lice myself, comes from taking in rescue horses...always come to me with extra passangers!! Anyway I find fly sprays labeled for lice or pour ons work better then powder on winter coats. Also remember they need to be treated multiple times as sprays or powders to not get the eggs and when they hatch you will have another batch to take care of!

Ordered the pour on from the equine section of Jeffers...got here in two days!!

I had a horse come to me covered in lice. Didn't want to use the powders so instead I used Shapley's M-T-G. It worked well. Only thing is you can't use it if the horse is going to be out in direct sun and it is oily. I like the fact I could rub it directly into the coat.

If they are biting lice- ivermectin wormer will work. If they are not the biting type you need to use a dust. I would give a quick call to the vet before I use anything that doesn't say horse on the label. They can tell you over the phone and its cheaper than the farm visit incase there is a reason it doesn't say horse on the label.

Lice are species specific but that doesn't mean other species can't serve as transport systems. Just like kids at school...everyone can get lice on their farm. It doesn't mean bad. Lice just are... especially in the winter. Just treat it it doesn't mean you or anyone else is a bad "mother".

Latest posts

Back