Need a new Vacuum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodnldy

Reaction score
I need a new vacuum cleaner and I sure would appreciate opinions. I have a Rainbow thats a good 15 years old,. I am leaning toward the Oreck because of it being lite and easy to use. Anyone have one??? All opinions appreciated.

I can't give you any advice as I don't have carpet, but I know there has been a number of discussions on vacuums. If you do a search I am sure you will find some good information......I think some were asking about Dysons and it branched off from there.

Edited to say......type in Dyson and it will come up with a list of topics for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the same question here about two months ago and got some great answers. Maybe you can do a search? Seems like Dyson came up a lot, as did the Sears Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive. I thought the Dyson was more than I wanted to spend, so I checked out the Kenmore and bought that and I am very happy with it.

I bought the Kenmore to replace my Oreck. I always thought the Oreck was kind of wimpy but it was proven to me when the Kenmore almost filled its bag after using it just TWICE!! I couldn't believe how much stuff it was sucking from deep within the carpet that the Oreck had left behind. The Oreck was fine for surface stuff, like pet hair (2 dogs, 2 cats) but apparently it wasn't doing much any deeper. After doing my research, I discovered that while the Oreck has a great brush, the suction isn't all that great.

I found my Kenmore at our local Sears appliance store for $259 on sale. I was happy to pay that after seeing what the dyson was running. It's been a couple of months now and I feel it's money well spent.

Good luck with your search!!

Jayne

We have the Dyson Animal and it was well worth the money. We work it hard with five Corgis. I really like that it doesn't have bags, you just dump and go.

[SIZE=12pt]Hi Cheryl
default_smile.png
I am so happy so awswer this for you.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I recently bought a new one. We really couldn't decide between a "cannister" or "upright" ? so when we went to the store (BestBuy) we found this Bissell "Lift-Off" that was both.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I love it! It sucks up silty dust/dirt you never knew was in your carpet and the carry cannister is so awesome and easy to use...the floor wand they give you with the cannister is 4 stars as well[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The only downfall is its weight....it seems heavy to me (maybe, because I had a cheapo unit the last time)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]but I truely think that the weight of it digs deeper in to the carpets. (the carry cannister isn't heavy though)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]* I would recommend this vacuum to anyone
default_yes.gif
: It has some nice attachments & Looong cord too!!!
[/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]BissellLiftOff[/SIZE]

Thank You guys, I will be checking each of these out and see which will fit the pocketbook and house the best. Cheryl

I've had some many different brands of vaccums over the years, including the oreck....IMO the Kirby is the BEST and will last forever...but it has drawbacks...expensive and very heavy if you have to lift it up stairs. Kirby's come with a lifetime gaurantee and you can get it revamped for $25 every year if you like...they take it apart replace anything that needs replacing, clean it, etc...it can be 10 years old and it will come back looking and acting brand new for $25.

I have the Bissell Lift Off too, and althought I LOVE the way it vaccuums, I did find a big downfoall of it. I have dogs in the house, so lots of dander and dog hair, and I find alot of it gets caught up around the filter area. I have to unscrew the plastic fileter holder where the foam filter is, and run my fingers up in there to pull all the trapped dust and dog hair out. I am seriously considering switching to the Dyson, as they advertise that with their design, this doesn't happen, because it is designed differently with nothing for it to get hung up in. The only reason I have not yet bought the Dyson, was because it was quite expensive(in comparrison to my Bissel for example, that works REALLY well otherwise), but the Dyson seems to be made with a more brittle type plastic housing, and I wonder how it will last??? Anyone know??

The dyson does have a foam filter too and it will eventually clog, but it took almost a year before we had trouble...... It is over a year old and no broken pieces.

I sure want to keep tabs on this thread ...I had the same question today as I was vacumming and thinking about my old Hoover that I miss so much! I now have a Bissell...not sure if it's the Lift Off...but mine also gets clogged easy and I have to constantly dig stuff out. I hate it! It's cumbersome, and does not do a good job in the pick up dirt department like my Hoover did. I have area carpets in my kitchen, unfortunately I don't have a mud room and that is the place where we use majorly to come in and out of. I dread taking out the vacumm cleaner .....if I did'nt have that many rug carpets...(mainly for the mud and debris from the barn and so the pups don't slip and slide on the nekked floor) I'd just use a broom!

The dyson does have a foam filter too and it will eventually clog, but it took almost a year before we had trouble...... It is over a year old and no broken pieces.

No, it's not the foam filter I am referring to...it is that the foam filter sits on something shaped like a spool...with the wide part at the bottom, so things don;t drop down into the main collection cup as they are supposed to, so it ends up clogging up, up high.

Latest posts

Back