Neck sweats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsecwgrl

Reaction score
I have a yearling gelding and his mother and I need some opinions on neck sweats. I know people who do and don't use them and I just want to know if they work and if they are worth buying and using before a big show?

thank you
default_smile.png

I use neck WRAPS and leave them on almost 24/7 and feel that they can work well. You need to put them on fairly tight and you need to let the neck air out at least once a day.. I also use a throatlatch sweat under the neck wrap. I have one mare that is insulin resistant so she has a heavy crest and I think the neck sweats have helped quite a bit. For her, I will also use the plain neoprene ones that you can't leave on for long, but I will use the sweating gel, wrap her neck with plastic, put on the neoprene sweat and work her. You MUST wash the gel off the horse, the plastic and the neoprene if you use that method, but that can really help right before a show.

Our show horses are not stalled but are turned out together on dry lot and we leave the sweats on them for turnout too. And yes, sometimes they do get removed! Velcro is such fun to play with. But they stay on most of the time. I don't see much of a downside to using neck sweats except they are work and it IS possible to burn a neck if use them with plastic and are not real careful. I have never burned a neck but know it can happen.

Do you see results pretty quickly? As in days or weeks? I had someone mention that she sweated the necks the week before the shows and saw a difference. Wow, didn't think it worked that quickly. I'm sure it depends on the particular horse. Is this something that's usually done all year long? or just during show season? or? When the neck gets to the point of looking good, I'm assuming it's not permanent, but something you need to keep up. Have never done this before, but am considering trying a new stallion we just bought. Learning a lot about it.

I think if you put on the wrap and throatlatch sweat on right before the show I think it can tighten the neck up a lil bit, at least better then before but if you can leave it on 24/7 and use a neoprene sweat as well I think it can make a big difference. I also a gel along with the neoprene sweat and work them out in the roundpen and leave them tied up for an hour with the sweat on and you need to wash the horse and the sweat off.

Latest posts

Back