Neck sweating...Isnt this cheating????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
she has a VERY thick, fat crest and she is most certainly not overweight, but her crest wobbles when she trots and I wonder if this has been caused by human interference to make her look good in the show ring
Actually, what you discribe sounds like she had been too fat, and was later fitted-up. Had the neck been sweated...this would likely NOT have happened. I don't think that sweating changes the shape of the neck, per se, but it can prevent a huge crest from developing.

I would be careful of a horse with this type of crest, as I have been told it might be more likely to founder.

All the jowl-sweating, or neck-sweating in the world is going to make a crappy neck change enough to make it look good, it is only useful as a tool to help enhance an already good neck. I find it no different than placing extra sheen on particular parts of the body; to help draw the eyes and help enhance muscle mass, etc...

she has a VERY thick, fat crest and she is most certainly not overweight, but her crest wobbles when she trots and I wonder if this has been caused by human interference to make her look good in the show ring

Actually, what you discribe sounds like she had been too fat, and was later fitted-up. Had the neck been sweated...this would likely NOT have happened. I don't think that sweating changes the shape of the neck, per se, but it can prevent a huge crest from developing.
I would be careful of a horse with this type of crest, as I have been told it might be more likely to founder.
All the jowl-sweating, or neck-sweating in the world is going to make a crappy neck change enough to make it look good, it is only useful as a tool to help enhance an already good neck. I find it no different than placing extra sheen on particular parts of the body; to help draw the eyes and help enhance muscle mass, etc...
I agree whole heartedly
default_yes.gif
:

Justagirl, I would question the credentials of who you got your accupuncture with as I have had it done DOZENS of times and it NEVER hurt and really dont feel most at all. Yikes! :new_shocked:

Perhaps when someone is looking to buy a horse, that is in show shape, they should ask if the neck is sweated or not and ask to see pics of the horse in 'every day' condition to compare and see what they are really buying.

Justagirl, I would question the credentials of who you got your accupuncture with as I have had it done DOZENS of times and it NEVER hurt and really dont feel most at all. Yikes! :new_shocked:
Laurie, I thought the same thing myself. Although I have never had acupuncture I have watched MANY horses have it for various reasons and they stand in the cross ties asleep! I also have a human friend who had it for back problems and they said they hardly felt a thing! They said it actually felt good. So I too would question the credentials of who the acupunturist was on Justagirl! From what I know and understand you should not have been hurt like that.

Pictures of Mingus...there goes my concentration for the day...
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Liz R.

HG farm....In an ideal world that would work :) but I imported her from the states and the farm I bought her from even lied about her height!!! Not all breeders are as honest as we would like them to be so could "fake" a horse being in everyday condition.

Laurie, I thought the same thing myself. Although I have never had acupuncture I have watched MANY horses have it for various reasons and they stand in the cross ties asleep! I also have a human friend who had it for back problems and they said they hardly felt a thing! They said it actually felt good. So I too would question the credentials of who the acupunturist was on Justagirl! From what I know and understand you should not have been hurt like that.
Vertical Limit and HGFarm ~ The type of accupunture I had is probably not like what most of you have experienced. Instead of one needle placed in a certain area for a couple of minutes (which is relaxing when I had neck pain), but this was not like that. I don't recall the name it was given but it was a rapid, repeated, sticking all over my entire back, kind of like a sewing machine action. The whole point was to break up calcium deposits in my muscles (so I was told). Don't think it worked to well, and like I said it left a ton of scar tissue, which is very painful. :no:

To me it seems that the horse who has to wear it 24/7 would be miserable!!!!

Expecially during the Summer!!! I mean could you see yourself out there in the heat with one on??!!

You know, I suppose it's no worse than wearing work boots or a bra outside during the summer...

Andrea

Like I said before, I wore one every night for about 6 weeks and while out working (cleaning stalls, feeding, raking the pasture, exercising horses, etc) and it really isn't any worse than just wearing jeans and other normal clothing. I wanted to make SURE it wasn't going to hurt my spoiled little princess that I adore and at the same time I figured if it worked for her, it would work for me....and it did on both accounts. Trust me, if Ms. Rain has a problem with something, she lets me know in NO uncertain terms! It is HOT and humid here, and show couldn't care less about that sweat!

-Amy

You know, I suppose it's no worse than wearing work boots or a bra outside during the summer...

Andrea
I agree.

And it's not like their entire body is wrapped, only a portion of the neck.

The problem I have with sweating as I said before.....when the horse is tied with it head in the corner for hours on end with no water, in the middle of the summer. :no:

default_sad.png
Well I can honesty say that I was surprised at what I have seen some do to thier horses to win a placing.

I myself will never "wrap my horse in rubber" as my husbund said" with 2 or 3 full body rugs on in the July heat. :new_shocked: Or tie thier heads up in corners or withhold food and water until after the class to place. I saw this so did my kids, all that one show a whole new subject..There are abuses all around us in every horse breed, even ours. :no:

But I will sweat my stallions neck. Why because if it is not done to excess I see no harm. Putting on sweat during working is just helping out alittle. But I have to wonder if keeping them on 24/7 is alittle much? Just thinking out loud.. no flames intended.

I also have to say that if I were looking at a horse to buy and knew that a certain horse was sweated 24/7 I would not buy that horse. Why because if it has been sweated that much as I see it "that is not it's true neck".I would much rather see a well put together horse in his or her everyday close any day...

To sweat a horse while it's working is one thing, but to keep it "warped in rubber" is wrong.IMHO

You can put a vegatable in a plastic mold and leave it to grow and it grows into that shape. I would think it would be the same with sweating, it is true that neck will not stay that way, but when someone buys a horse to bred they are buying that horse, not the shape of the sweat put it's neck. I know you can not change bone, but you can soft tissue and by tieing a horse head up you can change the way it holds it head to a point..

You can wrap them in rubber and stave them and tie thier heads up, you will most likely win... but the foals out of that horse unless treated the same way will not look that way.

Something I'm not willing to do.

:aktion033: Yes!! :aktion033:

Ok....I know I`m gonna get it in the neck for this one but........

This neck sweating business....It entails tightly binding something around a horses neck or throat so it must feel a bit like its being choked, the results are temporary and do change the neck a lot from examples I`ve see.....so dont you think this is tantamount to cheating as much as body dying etc???? When it comes to confirmation its being radically changed so you may chose to use/buy a horse after seeing it in the show ring but its genetically gonna produce something completely different....bit like cosmetic surgery????

I was looking at a site that sells neck and throat sweats and it warned blistering may occur if left on too long!!! Surely this proves its over the top??

Does anyone else feel this way???

Ok, you can start the stone throwing now!! :)

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back