ND state fair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlearab

Reaction score
Well the fair is over for another year.. it was fun.!!Met Rachel in person! And saw her mare & foal. Lovely mare!!
default_yes.gif
: Sweet gal!

My horses all placed pretty well!

Cowboy was 2nd in all his classes,small classes. He was also the biggest brat in the show. :eek: Acted like a kid in the shopping mall, did everything he knows better then to do. In the first class he reared up alittle(feeding off my mood) when he did not get spanked I could see that look in his eyes like a 3 yr old who knows you are not going to spank in piblic.. Mom's not doing any thing! .. OK I'll see if she will now.UGH After 2 classes of rearing ,pawing and even trying to bite :new_shocked: I slapped him .I know .. I know.. :no: I had tryed eveything else. And at that point all I could of think was I can't let him do this any more.. he's way out of hand. When we were out of the ring he was himself, calm repectfull, but once we got back in the ring, it was moster child agian... I pulled out of last class as I just could not deal with him in there again... I told him on the way back to the barn he is so grounded...

Jack and Muffin took 2nd in thier 2006 foal classes.. I'm very happy with that.

Jack looked great, behaved well. This photos was taken before the show.. with out thier show halers on or geled up...

P4170020.jpg

Muffin is such a little diva... she just stood there, like she was thinking "I'm so cute.. arn't I?"

P4170015.jpg

Muffin and Cupcake were 3rd in mare and foal. I guess Cupcake is alittle fat.LOL

But Cupcake took 1st in color class! I guess chub does not count there.

P4170009.jpg

Baylee took 1st and 2nd in all thier classes. Kristine was late for showmanship, she forgot her golves and we had to find some. So she did the pattern ect ,but was not placed.

P4170001.jpg

All in all it was a great day. The heat was horrid, and we left early so the horse could be more confortable at home.

If any one knows how to tame the mall kid I'm open for any help.
default_yes.gif
:

Don't know way all the photos are so big sorry:(

Last edited by a moderator:
How to tame your "mall kid" is back to the drawing board at home. Reinforce the training at home (and I KNOW they act worse at shows), and, as painful as it is, the night you get to the show, or some time when you're not showing, try going into a few classes "just for the heck of it" and use the same cues at home. NOONE will get upset if you shank your horse down (provided it's not cruel), or whatever you use to discipline them. It happens in the young colt/stallion classes fairly often that the boys misbehave and if they KNOW they won't get in trouble in the ring, well, guess what, we're ALL in trouble then.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and use the class as a training opportunity, rather than pulling out.

Wish I had better advice for you, but that is what I would try to do, or maybe set up a "practice "class if you could get some friends to help you out and take two or three other horses in the ring and pretend you were showing (but I have the feeling he's feeding off of your nerves more than anything anyway), and make him KNOW he has to behave. Keep working on it over and over til he gets it.

Good luck!

Liz

Latest posts

Back