Nationals Hot? Electrolytes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
I got a call from someone who said it was over a 100 yesterday in Tulsa. We have been very cool here this summer. I am bringing a horse down to Nationals that has never drank any water other than our own. The vet suggested giving her Electrolytes (tube stuff- every few hours) to be on safe side. And at least bring home water for trip down. Do you guys do that?

I take electrolytes to every show with us and add them to the horses grain/beet pulp at both the AM and PM and after we get off from the trailer and settled i give them some (just a handful of grain to go with, to help get the electrolytes down). I do not add electrolytes to the water like a lot of people do as I feel that it changes the water flavor and just gives the horse another reason not to drink.

These are the electrolytes i use, they are not expensive at all and i order them from my TSC. If you have a TSC near you, they have electrolyte paste and normally carry the farnnam or platform electrolytes in powder.

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pop_prodi...=1&id=11714

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe 100 might be an exaggeration (though we have had several months of it), we even had rain yesterday. We are only 30 min from Tulsa. It was mid 90's today...but you have to remember it is HUMID!!!! So it feels much hotter, stickier, and just plain gross.

We always provide our horses at shows with one bucket of regular water, and one with electrolytes. They usually down the one with the added electrolytes.

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks for the update on the weather conditions.... Not only do you need to be concerned about the horses but yourselves as well. [/SIZE]

On all of our horses that are being moved, we give powered electrolytes on top of the feed for at least two weeks prior to and during the trailering.
default_wink.png

It sure seems to help and is worth the cost from our point of view.
default_yes.gif

Our vet tells us it will help cut down on cases of shipping fever and colic on the show horses or any other horse that is going to be stressed which something all of us can do without.
default_aktion033.gif

Being from a northern climate, I find electrolytes to be absolutely crucial when travelling to southern shows. It's extremely dry where I live, and I have found that it's not so much heat alone that bothers my horses, it's humidity that's killer. My horses have been just fine in 110 degrees in Reno without electrolytes, however at Worlds a few years ago it was unusually humid. Even though temperature-wise it wasn't super hot, the horses were just exhausted until the last couple days of the show because we made the mistake of not starting them on electrolytes until we got to Texas. By the time they got back to a normal energy level, they were done most of their classes and it was too late.

So now we start the horses on electrolytes a couple days before leaving home and keep them on them throughout the show, and we haven't had a problem since. I use the powdered electrolytes to top dress their grain and they work great. I also make sure to bring as much water from home as possible - obviously for a long show like Worlds it won't last even close to the whole time, but by the time it runs out they are drinking well and don't mind the switch - and the continued electrolytes encourage them to drink as well.

It was pretty warm but had buckets and I mean buckets of down pouring rain the last couple days so things are more comfortable temp wise.

I would do the electros in the water but be sure your horse likes it at home first so the "change in taste" doesn't put them off the water.

I really think beet pulp soaked and even soaked hay the first while here does help keep them hydrated...and well worth the extra effort.

Good luck...see ya around!
default_saludando.gif

Yes, I agree they should be started on electrolytes prior to the trip. I also use very wet beet pulp when traveling as they don't drink water much but will drink the liquids from the beet pulp. Even if it is not hot horses can/will dehydrate.

You may want to bring some of your own water with you, just in case.

Latest posts

Back