Nais information

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heads up on talking to vets - most don't even know this is going on, even though the vet association is a huge supporter of this. So if you ask about it - they may look and you and blink. I have asked two years in a row and my vet just looks at me blankly - two years folks!

To be able to show in the county fairs in Colorado, you have to submit a premise number with the Animal records sheets. Primary reason we do not show animals, won't get started down that path!

Gingersnaps said "To be able to show in the county fairs in Colorado, you have to submit a premise number with the Animal records sheets. Primary reason we do not show animals, won't get started down that path!"

This hits where it really hurts, because parents must tell their child they CANNOT exhibit their animal at the county fair becaues the parent refuses to register their premise. While NAIS is not "mandatory" yet....in many states one CANNOT exhibit at a fair; receive a Coggins test; sell at a public auction; etc. without a "Premise ID Number".

And even tho Aristocratic Minis wrote an entertaining "Christmas letter", keep in mind that ALL of these forms have to be filed, AND if forms are not filed 24 hours IN ADVANCE of an animal leaving your property you can be fined....and EACH form/animal is a SEPARATE incident!!

Currently, it is thought that horses will be micro-chipped. However, many companies are producing the micro-chips, and they are usually NOT compatible. So you micro-chip all your horses and buy the reader.....$1000+....then buy a new horse whose micro-chip IS NOT compatible with your reader....oops, gotta get another reader. That lovely little addition just cost you $400-700 MORE than you originally budgeted.

While an illness can now cause your herd to be quarantined, NAIS will give the government the right to come onto your "premise" and DESTROY all animals based merely on suspicion of illness.

BTW...notice that NAIS always refers to "Premise" and NOT "Property".....thereby skirting the issue of PROPERTY RIGHTS!! If you read the fine print, "premise" and "property" are NOT interchangeable words!!

I find this whole NAIS deal to be VERY VERY SCARY!!!! But PLEASE inform yourselves and take a stand FOR or AGAINST. Apathy will ruin this nation faster than anything!

Climbing off my soapbox...feel free to flame away!

ropenride

This is Awful, I haven't seen it pushed here in maine though.

It is really terrible.
default_sad.png

I will be surprised if the farmers dont stand up and yell about this nonsense to.

I received my "survey" in the mail last week. I loved writing zeros all over the place.

I noticed that hay farmers are asked how many pounds their bales weigh and how many bales of hay they harvested. What????? That is ridiculous.

They covered everything from soup to nuts and then some.

I will be surprised if the farmers dont stand up and yell about this nonsense to.

I received my "survey" in the mail last week. I loved writing zeros all over the place.

I noticed that hay farmers are asked how many pounds their bales weigh and how many bales of hay they harvested. What????? That is ridiculous.

They covered everything from soup to nuts and then some.

Ohio has before them Issue 2, which if passed in the senate will take all rights away from farmers concerning animal welfare and place it in the hands of 13 people and will not be able to be overridden by any form of government. Folks in Ohio - this is addressing your constitutional rights - you need to pick up your phone or log into your email and push back with your senators and represenatives! I urge you to quickly review information posted on the Ohio Government's website and make an informed vote on November 2nd!

Here is an excerpt:

Back in February when the HSUS came to Ohio, it indicated that there were a large number of factory farms here that engaged in less than humane treatment of animals. Instead of being involved in a meaningful dialogue, OFBF started lobbying your state legislators. On June 24 the Ohio House of Representatives passed legislation calling for an amendment to the Ohio Constitution. On June 25 the Ohio Senate by unanimous vote agreed. I am appalled to say that our State Senator, Tim Grendell, was influenced by Ohio Farm Bureau to vote for legislation which, if it passes as Issue 2, will take all rights away from the voters of Ohio regarding their food supply and the care and welfare of Ohio livestock and place it in the hands of 13 people appointed by Governor Strickland. This Board will have answerability to no one; there will be no oversight on their decisions and actions. If Issue 2 passes, one of the appointees is likely to be State Veterinarian, Tony Forshey, a strong proponent of National Animal Identification System, which recently was denied any further national funding as a result of legislation introduced by Rep. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut. Additionally, one of the appointees to the Board will be from a farmers' group (AKA, Ohio Farm Bureau Federation, which is strongly in the back pocket of Ohio Big Agriculture, as represented by the Ohio Pork Producers' Council and the Ohio Livestock Coalition, and strongly pro-NAIS. Thus, in spite of the termination of NAIS funding at the federal level, NAIS could still be implemented in Ohio by a group of 13 individuals whose majority will come from the ranks of big Ag.

This will INCLUDE Trail Riding/Driving off your property folks! Imagine having to file paperwork to go on a trail drive IN ADVANCE on such and such a date and time!

Also remember that the PSYCHOS of PETA will get all the information one way or the other, and ONE of their Mottos is

"Better DEAD than BRED"

Be aware folks and informed EVERYONE!

dru on cape cod

Back