Mysterious lameness in front right foot/hoof

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossbuck Farms

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it laminitis, founder or a sprain. He's a 30" 3 year old stud. He has been stalled for a week. There is no swelling or heat yet he is dead dog lame and not bearing any wieght on it. The vet was up yesterday and is not sure. He has had no major diet switch.

[Post deleted to save my butt.

Lyn[/size]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm...no offence, but have you not been following Lynn's threads? This is not a very good time to be soliciting medical advice.

From a professional viewpoint, there is no way even I would offer advice on this from the information you gave--or without a hands on exam of the horse. I assume a full lameness exam including hoof testers, nerve blocks and xrays has been done, and you, the vet or the farrier has checked for an abscess? PM someone for now if you want opinions.

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif
.[/SIZE]Lyn

476009[/snapback]

Aaakkkk Lynn--what am I going to do with you???? Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor.

Dr Pam..... Im afraid Im hopelessly addicted! I thought the way I phrased it might make it better???? I can delete it.

Lyn

No have not been on the forum in a while. We have hoof tested. The vet was wondering about an abscess high up but never thought about the shoulders or higher up. I'm not asking for medical advice just other ideas or experiences.

Obviously I'm no vet & couldn't diagnose over the 'net even if I were one....

But, if one of my horses comes up lame as you describe yours to be, I look for heat, swelling, strong digital pulse...if none of those then I look for an abcess, maybe a shoulder injury--depends how the leg/hoof is being held, I can get a pretty good idea where the problem is. {shrugs} No help here really, I'm just sayin' what I do!

dazzler79 said:
No have not been on the forum in a while. We have hoof tested. The vet was wondering about an abscess high up but never thought about the shoulders or higher up. I'm not asking for medical advice just other ideas or experiences.
476022[/snapback]

OK, here's a quick summary of Lynn's post--she has been charged with practicing without a licence due to her responses to posts on this forum:

... It isnt over yet though. The investigator came and was here almost 3 hours. She showed me the specifics of the complaints and the posts that were refered to. I answered each one and pulled the whole thread for her including the ones that were pulled regarding that issue....
The people that made the complaints are daily here on the forum and have faxed her more info from as late as last monday. She said she ws surprised that I posted and suggested that I added fuel to the fire...

She will report to the board her findings and the answers to her questions. That board will then decide wether to get the Nursing board and the Vet Board involved. I did learn that if you cut on an animal not your own, ie ear cropping or gelding or get into any oriface of the animal or prescribe or administer any medications including puppy shots to any animal not your own that is a felony. I was not guilty of any of those. The general board will decide if itgoes further and if it does it will also go to the common wealth attourney to see if it goes to court.

Excerpts that suited their purpose were faxed to the investigator and she was glad to see the whole threads as it will give backround to the board.

Since my nursing license expired that board is probably not interested in the "practicing outside the scope of the license" issue.

To my forum family, do not make any recomendations about breeding, feeding, vetting worming or even wether a horse has dwarf characteristics or not as these are the threads they pulled as far as practicing vet medicine without a license.

Their vet has said these things that I have comented on threaten the lives of inocent horses. IF they get upset with any of you for any reason they can use your posts against you in a complaint.

This is a public forum , open to the whole world including the not so nice people (my personal opinion which I am legally entitled to). We cant stop them from coming here to stalk we can only cover ourselves and what we say by using a disclaimer similar to the one in my signature.

If anyone wants advice or information that you think might be questioned you can e mail me privately. They cant stop that.

Lyn

This is my recent experience. Morgan mare lame in left front, wouldn't put weight on it, farrier came out to trim, wouldn't stand long because front to sore, trimmed as much as he could off, found nothing, today came again this time found abcess finally had come down so now we know. He said it was healing nicely and no soaking necessary. I soaked her foot all during this time, just had the feeling. This mare is also diabetic and on a special diet.

Once upon a time, there was a someone that saw a something else that couldn't step on his foot and put any weight on it. And someone thought it was the A word but of course someone didn't know. So someone began to apply icthomol around the top and at the bottom cause someone didn't know where something would get stuck actually and then someone would soak someone's foot for a long time in luke warm water with epsom salts a couple of times a day really good so something that was stuck would pop out of the top or work it's way out the bottom. And then when that happened, someone put something in that hole so something couldn't get infected and it may have been wrapped in vet wrap or not but I wouldn't really know because I don't know the someone's.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Gracious, it's sure gonna make reading take a lot longer, isn't it? Hey, Marty, fairy tales are fictional -- so are you adding those to your authoring repetoire?
biggrin.gif

OK I just did that to be silly but common sense would tell me that the vet didn't do hardly any good investigating and needs to really do a complete exam here cause my goodness you never know if there is some real damage going on there ya know? If it were my horsey and this persisted like it is I'd get a vet that was going to pay more attention to me and go "Hey Vet! Do something huh?" Cause "the vet is stumped" doesn't quite get it for me.
biggrin.gif
I'm quite the alarmist.
yes.gif

I think I know that "someone" Marty is not talking about.

Once upon a time someone Beautiful would not but weight on her foot. It hurt to the point where Beautiful would not even walk the 4 feet distance to the hay but would rather eat poisoned apples, (aka horse poop). A false prince thought he could make Beautiful happy again by soaking her foot in warm water with epsom salts. Beautiful really liked this but this prince did not hold the key to complete happiness. The real prince showed up a few days later with magic nippers and knives. This was better than a glass slipper. Everyone lived happily ever after. Moral--Do not turn away the false prince because he may just make life more pleasant and make it easier for the real prince to bring complete happiness. Even if he has to dig for it!

Princess, the best friend of Beautiful, would not walk or put weight on her back leg. Turned out she danced too much at the jesters ball and broke all 3 bones just below her hock. Seeing as how she was such a clever and intelligent Princess, the owners of her castle requested a splint. Her small size brought success and many years of a happy life.

The court Jester, Barney, had sore hot feet. (I think he was guilty of dancing too!) Turned out the laminitis bunny paid Barney a visit but also brought Bute paste. The drug of choice for Jesters. An herbal blend brought more relief and Barney also lived happily ever after.

In a past life, we had a four legged animal that refused to bear weight on a front limb. A licensed professional 'misdiagnosed' this condition as an abscess for over a month with weekly visits, poultices, shots and other indignities - to the tune of $500+.

In this former life, the monthly hoof attendant noted this animal had 'grease heel' and it was cured. As it was in a former life I don't recollect the exact meaning of 'grease heel' and I'm not going to give advice, or offer an suggestions to you on what you should do - it is only a recollection - you could do a search for the term, or consult a licensed professional.

All my posts on ths forum are strictly my personal opinion and/or experience and not to be construed as advice, suggestion or direction on the care, feeding, breeding of any animal - living or imaginary.

Get the Vet back out at no further cost to yourself and make him do his job!! In the meantime, soaking in Epsom Salts will do no harm, and I would keep him off painkillers ( unless prescribed) until he is diagnosed as these can mask the problem

I have known people with vigorous young horses that turned dead lame. They took their critter to the vet, who did a thorough exam and ordered xrays. turned out the horse in question had a broken coffin bone which was properly treated using rest and supportive shoeing. horse recovered completely. I like the idea of xrays if all else fails. just my opinion!
rolleyes.gif

This is a serious problem but I have to chuckle at our attempt to help without consequenses. I love you all. In one of my daughter's friends past lives she had a horse like this and her friendly farrier came and looked and did find a something up in the hoof, the friendly farrier asked why the magic medicine man didn't xray the foot as the object would have shown up like a northern star.

havent read any responses yet but have the vet if he hasnt already check for an abscess that is usually a good start when a horse comes up leg hopping lame

Latest posts

Back