My underweight minimare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many congratulations!! You must be so relieved! She looks like a pretty little girl.
default_thumbup.gif

Dont forget to give Momma a dose of a wormer containing Ivermectin within 12 hours of the birth, plus keep her going with lots of small mushy feeds alongside her ad lib hay for the next few days.

I'm so thrilled for you - cant wait to see some more pics once the little one has dried out - well done!
default_yes.gif

FABULOUS!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Can't wait to see more pictures of the pretty little girl. So good things went well for you, and this little one looks great!!

First Congrats! Is that part of her cord that is hanging? you might want to tie that off and cut is shorter to her. There is a great chance for infection with that being so long. You will need to treat it too with iodine daily until it dries up. The other Aunties on here will be better able to direct you on the care!

Just a quick snip with the scissors, dunk it with iodine and all should be fine.

For momma, give her lots of small, wet meals to kick-start her system. Some mares will not pass "regular" manure for 24-48 hours, so don't worry if she doesn't seem to be doing that. They usually empty their systems right before delivery, and it takes a bit to get it moving again. Lots of grass or hay will help get her system moving.

Baby looks good. Keep a careful eye on momma, that she's maintaining her weight. You may have to continually increase her food, as producing milk for this little darling takes a lot of calories.

Just love the pictures!! Keep them coming!!

Congrats on your tiny adorable FILLY!!! Yes, be sure to treat the cord with iodine or Betadine - we do it several times over the first few days just to be safe. I would just keep increasing the mare's feed gradually...and the foal will likely start eating Mom's food after about two weeks, which is fine too. We feed ours in safe black rubber tubs on the ground to make this easier.

Can't remember if you said you had alfalfa cubes, but soaked alfalfa cubes help get more water, protein and calcium into the mare and she will need all three to make milk for baby. They can also help prevent ulcers because they act like Tums in the stomach.

Good job - now you can catch up on your sleep --- if you can tear yourself away...

But, not too close to the stomach wall, leave about 2-3"; then dip with iodine. [Over time the rest will dry up and fall off.]
Thank you for the clarification Chanda. Having a bit of turmoil with family here, so not up to my usual long explanations. Thanks very much for filling in "my" gaps!!

And Mary, totally correct. Alfalfa cubes soaked will be perfect, or even adding alfalfa pellets will give her a boost.

Thank you both!

Any chance that we could have a update on how Molly and her sweet daughter are progressing - maybe a pic ot three too as we just love pictures!

Yes coarse! First though, thank you all for such great advise and support. I was so worried about them, you guys put me at ease and made me a lot more comfortable about the whole thing.

Molly and the baby are both doing great! I am still trying to find the perfect name for baby. She is eating well and getting around good. Molly is being very protective of the baby, she actually tried to kick me this morning.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks!

Oh yeah pics coming soon!

Many mares are protective over their new babies, some even taking a couple of weeks or more before they relax enough to happily allow us humans get a look in. LOL!! I have a couple like that myself and I just leave them be - feeding them, doing their stalls when they are off out in the pasture, and ignoring their foals until they relax, which they always do in the end!

Looking forward to the pics.
default_yes.gif

Back