My sweet boy is sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyelle

Reaction score
My gorgeous Paint 2 year old boy Quicksilver who was gelded a couple of weeks ago has had some severe complications. After the gelding despite keeping him in a large area and working/hosing him daily the wound prematurely closed and swelled up, the vet put him on penicillin and after a couple of days with no change opened him back up to let it drain, alot of puss came out and he seemed a little better for a few days, however still not eating properly.

The other side started to swell up and we got the vet out again, who referred us to another vet more experienced with gelding complications, We floated Quicksilver to his practise where he was to be re-opened to see what was going wrong, The vet got back to us tonight and thinks that Quciksilver may have Pyaemia blood poisoning, I read up on this and if he does have it his chances at recovering do not seem high :no: .

Quicksilver is my baby I raised him from a one day old foal after his mother died from Colic, maybe that is why he has such a low immune system, he did get his colostrum as we had him tested as a foal. Anyway I am so worried about him and I hate being away from him, I love him with all my heart and I am prayering he will find the strengh to pull through this.

QUICKSY1.jpg

quixpose.jpg

I am so sorry this has happened. :no: Prayers coming your way that Quicksilver will be alright. Hopefully under a more qualified vet he will improve. (((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))) to you and an extra special
default_wub.png
: hug
default_wub.png
: one to Quicksilver.
default_wub.png
:

Bonnie B

Prayers going to this beautiful little boy. And to everyone else for having healty horses and no more losses through the new year.
default_pray.gif
:

Prayers
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: sent your way that QuickSilver will be ok. Hugs for you.

What a SWEET boy! Prayers coming.........

MA

oh I hope everything ends well. Prayers for you and your handsome boy.

I am so upset to hear about this and I am hoping that Quicksilver is going to be ok for you and fully recover very soon.

If Quicksilver was fine and dandy before he was gelded, sounds to me like this vet that gelded him really is the cause of what is going on. I'd be taking severe action against him. Please keep us updated and I hope it's going to be good news.

I am very happy to say that it looks like Quicksilver is going to make a full recovery :aktion033: It has been touch and go for a while, but it looks like the infection has cleared up and Quicksy is starting to eat properly again and is slowly putting the huge amount of weight he lost back on
default_smile.png

I saw him cantering and playing accross the pasture this morning with his buddies something he hasnt been strong enough to do for a long time
default_wub.png
:

Thank you all again so much for your prayers :aktion033:

oh boy am i SO GLAD to hear that!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

it would have been horrible for you to lose him... i know, i went through it last year...
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
different illness but same feelings for my "grandson",
default_wub.png
: whom i also raised from a baby although he did not lose his mother, she was here too.

i am so glad your special boy is better. continued prayers for both of you!! and please do keep us posted still...

I'm so glad to hear he is doing better. He is such a pretty boy. I just had my stud gelded right before Christmas. He was the first horse they did that day. I was glad because the second one died on the spot. I would have died if that was my guy. The other horse must of had a reaction to the drug he was given. I was standing there holding my horse watching the whole time. I had never seen a horse gelded so it was a first time for both of us and if that horse would have died before my horse, my horse would still be a stud today. So I guess you never know what can happen.

WONDERFUL NEWS!!! :aktion033:

Nice to hear a POSITIVE Update!

MA

That is great news :aktion033: I am so glad to hear that he's getting better, such a pretty boy
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back