My Shetland, BG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mininik

Reaction score
P1013273.jpg

P1013279.jpg

P1013276-1.jpg

Thanks! He's a total sweetheart... with me, anyway.
default_wink.png

Pitter pat! I've always loved this guy!

Does he drive, Nikki? He'd make and incredible CDE pony!

He doesn't drive yet, Susanne, but he will. We've toyed with working in harness and he goes well for me, it's just going to take time for him to be safe with a cart as he tends to be reactive around other people and with certain sounds. For example: Earlier this year when the lady who owns the place BG lives at now went to pick him up for me she told me she thought he was mental and seriously questioned why I owned him... until I came out to see him and she watched him walk up to me. He just melts and follows me around like a puppy. More recently his new farrier described him as having split personality disorder when he walked up to a calm BG (standing quietly with me) who turned into anything but calm when he got close.

I'm curious if they allow bitless bridles in CDE competitions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they have any rules requiring a bit, although Leia and others are better versed in the rules than I.

It sounds like you have his total trust, which is so huge with a sensitive being.

I'll have to check into the bit thing. I've really fallen for the whole concept and not wanting to show B in a bit has been another reason I haven't pressed the issue of breaking him to harness. He is very smart and does trust me, so I really try to think about what I'm asking of him so we can make his experiences conductive to learning in a positive way. I still want to train him to do a Shetland-sized "Agility" run off lead... LOL

What an attractive fellow! I love his coloring.
default_wub.png

susanne said:
I don't think they have any rules requiring a bit, although Leia and others are better versed in the rules than I.
Sorry,
default_unsure.png
they absolutely do have rules about bits. Bitless driving is a very hot topic and is strictly not allowed at ADS competitions. Blinkerless, yes. Checkless, absolutely encouraged and in fact required after Training Level (I think). But bits are 100% required at this time.

Leia

Edited to add: Couldn't resist the compulsion to go check my rulebook.
default_rolleyes.gif
According to Article 916 of the 2005 ADS Rulebook, Section 2, sidechecks may be used at ADS sanctioned events at Training Level only. And according to Article 916.5, Bits, "Bitless bridles (hackamore) or their use in conjunction with a bit are not permitted." So they won't even let you get around it by putting a bit in their mouth then using reins connected to a bitless.
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back