my sad story (sorry, it's long)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallin4minis

Reaction score
On June 7th I had to put my yearling down. He was my first mini, a Lucky Four Skippa Snow Storm

colt. I purchased him last year in July form D'Armond's Miniatures. Rebel was my dappled gray, blue eyed, coffee drinking buddy. I miss him terribly.

I had an empty bath tub that I used as a water trough when I had my big horse. It was along the fence and I never thought it would pose any threat. Rebel has been with me for 11mos. and he would scratch himself on it and I never gave it much thought. Every morning after feeding, I always open his stall so he can walk about in the paddock. Mid morning I look out my window to see him about 10 ft away from the tub, and at first I thought he was kicking at his belly, I immediately thought was, Oh no, colic! I rushed out there to see his hoof dangling. He only had a small 1.5" surface scratch on the outside of his rear left cannon bone. The bathtub was slightly moved away at on end from it's original position. The only thing I can figure is he was scratching/rubbing on it and he was able to move it. This tub is so very heavy that it took 4 men to move it. My daughter and I helped get him in the stall and called the vet. It took about 2.5 hrs for the vet to get to me. Rebel was so patient and calm. We got him to lay down and I just stroked him and told him what a good boy he was until the vet arrived. She confirmed what I feared- a clean break of the cannon bone right above the fetlock. After she consulted with the clinic at LSU, surgery was the only option but one that I simpy couldn't afford.($4000 min) And because of it's location and his young age it was possible that it would heal but he could also re-injure it easily. It was the hardest decision I had to make. It was one of the hardest things I had to witness. I've never seen an animal fight euthanasia this hard. The vet said she had never seen it take this long and require so much. It took over 45 min. She assured me that he wasn't suffering. He knew he was loved. We had a strong bond. He was beautiful. I wish I could post a picture of him for y'all to see but I don't have a digital camera. I had big plans with him, not showing or anything but just big pet/family member dreams. I work at a school so I have the summer off and was looking forward to spending long days with him.

At the urging of my husband I went to see Christy D'Armond the next evening to tell her what happened and to ask her to keep an eye out for me for anything within my price range. She worked with me on the purchase of Rebel, he felt sure she'd work with us again. Christy has such a big heart- she cried with me, made me feel so much better, assuring me that things like this just happen and was so patient with me. She gave me time out of her busy evening, as much time as I needed, showed me all of her new babies which of course turned my tears into smiles and then made me an offer I just couldn't refuse.

Within 3 days we were loving a new baby.

I am now the proud owner of a silver sorrel colt by Sweet Revenge (a son of Glenns General Patton) and out of ELR Rebels Gold Card (a Sid's Rebel daughter)! :aktion033: He is such a doll! He has the biggest eyes and the sweetest disposition. We are calling him 'Scout'. There is a link if you would like to see him. Go to www.darmondslittlestangels.com check him out on her colts sale page. He is the one listed as unnamed and born on 2-25-06 which happened to be on my 40th birthday
default_yes.gif
: There is a video clip too if you want to see him in action.

Christy has saved my summer and healed my family's broken hearts. My kids and I am overwhelmed with emotions because while we miss Rebel so very much, Scout is filling the void and melting our greif.

Well, as soon as I can get my hands on a dig. camera, I'll post pictures of him. Thanks for allowing me to tell my story. The bathtub is now at the end of my driveway awaiting pickup by the local dump.

Thank you Christy D'Armond! You will always be remembered in our prayers of thanksgiving!

I am so sorry this sadness has had to touch you.

Best wishes with your new boy! jennifer

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to get another mini and congratulations on Scout!

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to get another mini and congratulations on Scout!

I'm so sorry for your loss
default_sad.png

And happy for your new baby!
default_wub.png
: He is very nice!

There angels amoung us! Christy is one!
default_yes.gif
:

I am so sorry for your loss
default_sad.png
...I hope your new boy will bring you some comfort
default_yes.gif
: .

lis

I'm so sorry you lost your best friend in such a horrible way. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

I happen to know that Christy IS an Angel among us! She's a very caring lady with a big heart!

Congrats on your new baby Scout!

That story really touched me.

I am so glad that you were able to find another horse family member at Christy's. She is a very kind person.

I am SO SORRY to hear of your loss - how horrible!! I have heard nothing but nice things about Christy and so glad about your new baby!! Wierd accidents can happen....... Never thought about a bathtub (we used to use these years and years ago with the big horses too)

Yes, please share pics of the new baby when you can.

So sorry to hear about your colt. That is so sad. Christy is a very nice lady. She has let me bug her for advice several times. Always been nice enough to help me out when she is busy. No body forgets that kindness.

Hope things get better.

Sorry about your little guy years ago my husband dragged home a tub someone wanted to get rid of because of remoldeling and it was not a good idea in fact it was relic who ended up in the tub just days after we filled it and couldn't get out good thing we were home and saw him in there flapping around and with the help of a neighbor driving by got him out they are pretty slippery and hoofs are pretty slick l'm sure if he would have fallen he could have drowned in the thing. l wouldn't have ever thought the tub full of water could be moved by a mini and trap a part of them but just goes to show anything is possible. Christy was wonderful and very helpful to work with when we bought a Boogerman son from her years back and even clipped the guy for the trip when we told her not to bother we would do it once he got here and then waited weeks till we bought another one not far from her so they could be trucked up together making it less costly for us on hauling at that time which some farms we found don't give a rats butt about as they just want the horse gone as fast as possible once it's sold and they've been paid.

Wonderful end to a terrible story- it's people like this that remind us why we really do love Miniatures and the majority of Miniature People, too
default_yes.gif
:

Your beautiful colt is Silver Bay, by the way, not Chestnut- am added bonus as far as I ma concerned!!!

I'm so sorry to read this but telling your story may help others who have tubs in their paddocks. What an awful thing to happen but out of something bad, something happened good and you have another little mini to love on. What a nice person that breeder must be.

Awww, I am so very sorry for the loss of your special little friend, and am happy for you that you found another special baby to help fill the void. May you both have many happy years together.

Latest posts

Back