My Pembroke Welsh Corgi Is Sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
Libby, my 13 year old corgi is very sick. I took her to the vets and they think her kidneys are failing. I was hoping it was diabetes or something that could be fixed. We won't know anything for sure until all the blood work comes back. I was crying after being told the only thing that could help her is a kidney transplant or dialysis if indeed it his her kidneys. I will list the symptoms and if anyone has any ideas, I'd be most happy to here them.

excessive thirst

eyes sometimes red and strange looking

weight loss but her appetite is still good

She's had a heart condition that I've been treating for a couple of years with Enalapril Maleate and she's also hypothyroid and is on Soloxine for that.

Since todays vet visit the only thing I was told to do differently was a prescription dog food that is very low in protein. I'm lost as to what to do.
default_no.gif

No words of advice, it sounds like the vet is on the right track. Just wanting you to know I'm thinking of you. I have 2 PWC's here that have my heart.

I know how worried you must be.
default_sad.png
You and your little one are in my thoughts and prayers that it is'nt anything serious.

(I hit the reply button before finishing). But I also wanted to tell you.....back this past fall or late summer my cat was dignosed with kidney failure. The vet that saw him talked to me about "options" We put him on a anitibiotic, some healty hollistic booster type of liquid to boost him up and stop his vomiting, and I took him home and did Sub Q fluids on him. He also lost weight on me very quickly. Two to 3 weeks later he did'nt need the sub Q's anymore....thank God...he's still ornery as ever. Of course we still monitor him and have him on a low protien diet.

I sometimes wonder if in our case it was a matter of just a bacterial infection of some sort and the antibiotics took care of it. He's gained his weight back.

Edited: after reading uwharrie's post I realized that what we did on Larry were sub-Q's not IV's. Sub Q's are not hard to give. You can learn at the vet's and come home and do them yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry to hear of your little ones health problems.

This may not be any help but my Mother was diagnosed with kidney failure over 10 years ago. They have treated her several times with chemo. Specific drugs that act like antinflamitories on the kidney, the 1st they used was steriods, she had a relapse this past year and they put her on cyclosporine (sp). She also was put on a low protein and potassium diet. Ask if there is any type of treatment like that. I will keep your baby in my prayers Debbie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sending prayers for you and your little friend. I hope she pills through this OK. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

aww, i'm so sorry to hear this. i hope you can get some answers and a treatment that will help. corgis are just the best!

Sorry to hear about your Pem....hope they find out what's going on and that there is a way to manage it.

((((hugs))))

~kathryn

I'm so sorry to hear that your Corgi isn't doing well. I'll be sure to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you everyone for your input and kind words. I really appreciate it so much. Everybody on LB is so caring and generous with your time---you're the best!!
default_smile.png

Talk to your vet about a low protein diet and sub-Q fluids ( you can administer at home) We kept one of our old cats going last year with that routine. I know of several folks who have kept dogs going for as much as two years doing the same thing. The fluids help flush the toxins out of the system and the low protein takes a load off the kidneys.

There will be a point where it no longer works. Alot depends on how far the kidneys are gone at this point. Renal failure is a fatal disease but with treatment many animals can live a happy and comfortable extended life.

Sorry to hear about your companion. The thing that keyed me into this thought was you said " eats but don't gain weight" I had a big horse that went thru the same thing and they told me that her body had quit absorbing the protein in her food and she was basically starving to death so we made the difficult decision to put her down.

Good luck with your baby and I will send thoughts and prayers your way.

I'm keeping you and Libby in my thoughts and prayers. I know how upsetting it is when your baby is not feeling well.

A similar thing happened to our Lab a few yrs back. She was 10 and was losing weight, drinking excessively and waking us up at night to go out, I was sure she had diabetes. They did bloodwork and found she had a problem with her liver. Then did an ultrasound, I was sure it was going to be cancer but ended up being Hepatitis. She is now just turning 13 and doing great. She's on a low protein dog food and 500mg of Flagyl daily to help her liver function better. So, don't despair! - Cindy

Cindy, you may be on to something because can you believe that Libby is 100% better since switching her dog food. I'm still waiting for the vet's office to get back all the blood work results but I am really encouraged. Her eyes are back to normal, no redness or unusual shape. Would you believe I think I figured out the problem. I had ran out of soloxine so she didn't receive any for four days
default_nono.gif
. I'll never let that happen again!!! Also, since switching the food she's back to drinking a normal amount and has had no accidents. I'm feeling so much better about this.

Thank you to everyone who posted with ideas or kind thoughts!!

Debbie
default_smile.png

Debbie -- I am SO happy to read your update this morning!!! I know what a huge load this is off your mind!!! (HUGS!!!) Jill

Thanks Jill!!! Yes, I'm feeling so relieved. I know she's not going to live forever but even if I could just get another year with her!!

I'm so glad to hear shes doing better. I did a little research online about the conection between hypothyroidism and liver function and found that it can indeed cause liver dysfunction. So, Ithink you're right it's probably due to not having her meds for a few days. It'll be interesting to see what the bloodwork shows. Glad she's better.

- Cindy

Latest posts

Back