My new horse is sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkay3702

Reaction score
I posted about Bailey in the picture forum. Sure enough last night he had a runny nose small cough and a fever. Called the vet told me what to do then to call in the morning. Got the fever down and it's still fine this morning but.. His cough is worse and the poor guy still has a runny nose. I think he has a sore throat too because he'll eat his hay and mashy soaked stuff but not grain. My poor guy, the vets coming out at 330. We shall see how this goes.. I've had him for TWO weeks sigh

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry your guy is sick! Be sure and watch for strangles. Feel under the jaw and throat latch area and see if you feel swelling. Those symptoms kinda sound like strangles. Sending good thoughts!

default_sad.png
Sorry to hear your lil guy is sick! Praying for a speedy recovery!
default_pray.gif
:pray

Sorry to hear that. Don't panic, it isn't completely uncommon for them to pick up something from being stressed and introduced into a new environment. Your doing the right things, keeping the fever down, feeding wet mash/food, some over the counter ulcer meds won't hurt and is a good measure of precaution esp. if he isn't eating grain, as well as probiotics. Soaking hay helps to get fluids in them also. I usually keep concentrates like grain to a minimum for the first few days when I get a newbie, but I do let them hay and grass.

Just got back from the barn for a bit, thought I should eat something. The interesting thing is he was at the barn I've been at now for a year and left with his owner to a sale barn in January (which means he could have got ANYTHING). They then called me and offered him to me since I had been working with him for a year. So he's been back for two weeks. Coincidently doesn't it take about 2 weeks for strangles to show up? Plus I woke up with a sore throat and a stuffy nose so i guess the two of us are sick. Probably not the same thing, I don't think that's possible.

I feel so bad for him I wish there was horsey dayquil
default_wink.png
Thanks for all your replies! Figures I wait my entire life to have my first horse, I finally get him and within 2 weeks he's sick... sigh horses..

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weeks is just about right for strangles. But again without seeing him hard to know. Hopefully thats not what he has. Wasnt trying to scare you! Just the symptoms (fever, snot, cough etc) sound a lot like it. Did you feel and see if he has any lumps?

no lumps and no swelling, there was a huge outbreak last year including two horses in our barn so luckily I know kinda what I'm looking for. The temp has stayed down all day and he's picking at wet hay. He's a little more "awake" than yesterday, all he wanted to do was sleep it seemed, but I do too when I'm sick. He wants his grain but when he goes in the bucket changes his mind so I think that's because of a sore throat. Thankfully he's a horse that DRINKS! I put some powdered gatorade in one of his buckets too so it tastes good and has some electrolytes. (and because I spoil him) Trying not to panic if its strangles it is if not well thats better! I wish the vet was coming sooner I hate waiting to know whats wrong.

so the vet came out, Bailey was such a gentleman. They took some blood and I got the results back finally. He has a small infection that he's fighting off. There not sure where it came from probably from the old farm. So now all I have to do is give him 12 smz 2xday for 5 days. Then just keep an eye on the fever and make him comfortable. He seemed a little better today but still will only eat if his grain is soaked, but i went out and got some apples and molassas. Things got tastey so he started eating.
default_smile.png

Glad to hear your guy is feeling better today. You obviously did the right thing with calling the vet right away. Without any of us actually seeing him and examining him like your vet did, the (well intentioned!!) suggestions and "diagnoses" can get rather scary and cause undue worry. Sounds like you're giving him all the TLC you can, and that will definitely help him feel better! I'm happy for you that the infection wasn't particularly serious.

Latest posts

Back