My new addition's to the family

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyAcreRanch

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 2 new mini's I just picked up this weekend. My niece's are already in love with them. Sammy is the black mini I would quess him to be around 30-32" tall and he has some major hoof problems, he was very neglected. And that is my niece Laura next to him. Then there is Miss Ellie and my niece Emma. Miss Ellie is in great shape aside from being worming and not brushed in years she too is about 32" tall maybe a little taller. My question is this, does she look more like a Hinny or a Mule? Her neck and mane is exactly like a donkey, but she has smaller ears, and a long horse like tail. Any ideas?
emma1.jpg

Sorry if the picture is really big, I hope it's not!

[SIZE=14pt]what a cute picture! if she has a horsey like tail and smaller ears i would say she's a hinny. what ever she is she's awful cute and i love black, what a handsome boy. they are certainly lucky to have found you
default_yes.gif
: . Nikki
[/SIZE]

A hinny is usually smaller than a mule. A hinny is the product of a horse stallion and a (donkey) Jenny. A mule is the product of a mare and a Jack.

In reality, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between a hinney and mule. They both have longer ears than a horse and they both have a horse type tail. Most of the hybrid breeders will tell you that a hinney will have more of a horse shaped face, more refined. The mule typically has more of a donkey shaped head. They both come in all different sizes, it's all in the genes just like horses. I have 6 miniature mules and they range from 29" (2 yr old, not growing) to 37" (4 yr old). My mules have smaller ears than typical because my jack has smaller ears than the typical donkey. Mine also have refined heads because of the mares I chose to breed to and the way my jack is made. You can go to my webpage and look at all my mules. I won't post them here, too many.

Whatever she is, she is cute and I'm glad she found a good home. Feel free to email me if you come up with any questions on her.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Now comparing her ears to the black ones, her's are way bigger. But they don't seem mulish??? I have a draft mule and but it's hard to compare. I really don't have any history on her, other than she drives!! Oh well, she is cute and the kids love them already!!! I just brought them home saturday and those pictures are from then. They settled in great, not like big horses!!! Love these mini's!!! This makes 3 mini's now and 4 big horses!!! Yikes, I have way to many animals!!!LOL

Oh they are so cute!! Congratulations on your new additions!
default_smile.png

I would say she is a Molly mule. The percentage of actual hinney vs mule conceptions (according to all the articles I have ever read) are lower than mules, so odds are she is a mule (mare/jack).

She looks more like a mule to me just in that photo. You will probably never know unless you find her breeding records. Either way, she is adorable and glad she has a good home now :aktion033:

Enjoy! :aktion033:

Whatever she is, she is adorable!!
default_smile.png
We are expecting a hinny this year as our Sligo Eclipse (appy stud) bred our mini donkey. I can't wait!

I'm so happy with both of them so far, they have great temperments. We brought them home saturday and the girls spent about 2 hours brushing them and hugging them and having pictures taken. Miss Ellie loved to be brushed, everytime my niece would stop brushing and walk away, Miss Ellie would follow her around and get back in her spot for brushing. It was rather cute!!!

i would agree mule just based on percentages... and as for a hinny having a more horsey face, the first mule we ever bought was most definitely out of a quarter mare and a jack, and she had the prettiest horse face you've ever seen, prettier than a lot of horses... in fact you'd have sworn she was a horse till you looked north and BOOM there were those LOOOONG ears!

and all of our mules have pretty horsey tails... even the 2-month-old, her tail looks just like the curly foal tails you've seen in all the new foal posts this week!

they both look happy to have the little girls to love on them!

oh I love that picture....It is great!

Congrats on your additions!!

OK.........I have a really stupid Q, Do mules make horse or donkey sounds:)

I would love a donkey BUT I know the neighbours would complain that they were too loud so I was wondering about a mule!!
default_wink.png
:

oh I love that picture....It is great!

Congrats on your additions!!

OK.........I have a really stupid Q, Do mules make horse or donkey sounds:)

I would love a donkey BUT I know the neighbours would complain that they were too loud so I was wondering about a mule!!
default_wink.png
:

It's a cross between the two! The ones I"ve heard start out like a horse but end up like a donkey
default_smile.png

Jessi

Technically, Stephanie is correct in regards to which is which. The hinny being by a horse stallion, a mule being sired by a jack.

They have a sound that is a combo of the two usually and it sounds pretty darned funny to me. :bgrin

Technically, Stephanie is correct in regards to which is which. The hinny being by a horse stallion, a mule being sired by a jack.
They have a sound that is a combo of the two usually and it sounds pretty darned funny to me. :bgrin

Yeah,........

I agree with minimule. Three foals from same pairing. Stud Donkey and mare horse. Two had really

long ears longer faces. One had short ears and really pretty horsey head. So it's just hard to tell how

they will turn out. I've also heard that Hinneys can have nastier attitudes than a mule because they are

raised by a donkey not a horse. Poo Poo to that too. Just depends on the attitude of the mother. They are both very intelligent animals and learn from their dams how to react to different situations from watching

and learning. Regarding yours what cuties you now own. Lucky you!

Back