My mini has little or no frog and hollow hooves in the front!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and I have sites you can look up competent trimmers in your area or close. You have had lots of GOOD information and some not so good. Lysol dilute spray would certainly help any itch or sting until something is done. the sole doesn't recede, but the coffin bone (P3) can sink. Overgrown hooves will always snub if they strong enough and don't break off from the horses natural way of break over, trying to move, they will flare, wear out of balance of course and do all sorts of things from being long, sort of like wearing one side of your shoe heel more than the other, her movement is not normal until her hooves are properly trimmed. And "depending" she will probably be able to have all of that excess taken off, at least to the sole wherever it is now.

I think she put herself out there to get help, we all try to save money and we have no idea her circumstances and it's none of our business. We should just give her the best advice and information and direct her as to where to go for local help if possible. She has no idea what she is facing and is trying to do right by her horses, trying to learn it looks like to me. I remember trying to frantically find anyone to help me with hooves on not only my foal but the adult horses. I had just moved here and No Where could I find anyone competent! We paid too many *vets* and *farriers* to do a terrible job and give terrible advice. It took people on here, on my clubsite, and 4 years to find someone to come here to teach me, and to learn how to trim all our horses. Yes, many veterinarians have absolutely no idea about hoof trimming or shoeing, or miniature horse health which I still find hard to believe. But I have one here who started learning
default_smile.png

Ohmt, I am so glad you offered also.
default_smile.png
I bet you could help her a lot. Like you, I have never had formal training and am sure would not be considered an expert, but have done all my own hooves with a herd of at least 25 for 23 years, since a true horseman/rancher in my area taught me how 23 years ago. He came over when I had my first 7 minis and I watched him closely and I have done them ever since, and also for other people too...... some even that needed lots of work. I hope you can get together with her if she is not too far away.
default_smile.png
If she is, it was still a very nice gesture like LittleBittyBritches said.

Susan O.

The only reason I was going to use spray was to get rid of the bacteria and I plan to get her better farrier services! I am in international falls!!!

Thank you for all of your advice but please don't leave negative posts about me!
default_smile.png
thanks!

Yes and I have sites you can look up competent trimmers in your area or close. You have had lots of GOOD information and some not so good. Lysol dilute spray would certainly help any itch or sting until something is done. the sole doesn't recede, but the coffin bone (P3) can sink. Overgrown hooves will always snub if they strong enough and don't break off from the horses natural way of break over, trying to move, they will flare, wear out of balance of course and do all sorts of things from being long, sort of like wearing one side of your shoe heel more than the other, her movement is not normal until her hooves are properly trimmed. And "depending" she will probably be able to have all of that excess taken off, at least to the sole wherever it is now.

I think she put herself out there to get help, we all try to save money and we have no idea her circumstances and it's none of our business. We should just give her the best advice and information and direct her as to where to go for local help if possible. She has no idea what she is facing and is trying to do right by her horses, trying to learn it looks like to me. I remember trying to frantically find anyone to help me with hooves on not only my foal but the adult horses. I had just moved here and No Where could I find anyone competent! We paid too many *vets* and *farriers* to do a terrible job and give terrible advice. It took people on here, on my clubsite, and 4 years to find someone to come here to teach me, and to learn how to trim all our horses. Yes, many veterinarians have absolutely no idea about hoof trimming or shoeing, or miniature horse health which I still find hard to believe. But I have one here who started learning
default_smile.png
Yes!!!!! Thank you!!!!! I really do not want to explain my personal life, all I wanted was advice. I will do the best I can with all of the good advice I got and I will keep you updated! But, yes some pictures of some mini feet that are correct would be just SUPER!!

I am currently living in Fargo, ND (go to college here). Looks like you're about 5 hrs from me. If you have trouble finding someone, please please feel free to pm me and I'll give you my number
default_smile.png
And keep me updated or I'll worry lol

Everyone needs help sometimes and I have received so much in this industry. I owe it to others to pay it forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ha ha yeah that's a bit of a drive for you. Lol. Especially with gas these days! Could you send pictures of one of your minis feet that are correct? That would be great!

Do you originally live somewhere closer to me? Because if you live somewhere closer and you go to visit, maybe you could swing up here!

Do you originally live somewhere closer to me? Because if you live somewhere closer and you go to visit, maybe you could swing up here!

Quite the drive, but I would be willing to do it if you can't find someone. I have always wanted to visit International Falls actually, so maybe I could take a little vacation
default_smile.png
The farm is a little over an hour SW of here, so a bit further from you.

I would suggest watching/reading as much as you can about hoof trimming. That way, finding a great farrier won't be quite a chore and it's always good to know how it's done in case of an emergency and just to understand your horse a little bit better. I like Barefoot Trimming methods, myself.

I kind of like this guy:

I did not listen to this video at all-but it gives a wonderful picture of a very healthy, good looking hoof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIs-AZZJmP0&feature=fvwrel

Oh ok, yes it is beautiful up here in the Falls!! If you like the outdoors it is wonderful! There isn't much for shopping but there r a few pretty neat stores to shop in! Also, Canada has some awesome fishing. Yeah it would be wonderful if you could come up here but I will watch the videos and see what I think!

Contact Nora at Black Birch Tack (www.blackbirchranch.com) in Embarrass. She has an excellent farrier for her ponies and horses and might know someone a little closer to you.
default_yes.gif

Oh ok...I will look into both of those!! Thank you so much!! It would have to be someone more than an hour away because we live in te sticks and we have already contacted everyone at least about 45 minutes away!
default_sad.png

Nora is very good if she is the same Nora I know and she has helped a lot of people. www.barefoothorse.com and Pete Ramey who is one of the pioneers of barefoot trimming is www.hoofrehab.com. He has a listing of trimmers, also lots of articles and pictures. BUT at first he will be too hard to understand which is why he wrote a nice uncomplicated short book for horse owners. I use that book all the time still, because if you don't trim 10 horses a day you don't get the experience. You could probably google more.

If you understand what your minis need and how their hooves should look you can then judge your farriers and know what they are doing with your horses.

I watched the YouTube videos and they were super helpful! Our farrier is coming tomorrow and we are going to show him the videos that were posted here!! Thankyou so much! I will look into those new farrier websites and see what I can find!

So he cut her hooves today and they look wonderful!! He cut them to the bloodline and made her stand up better on them!! Yay!! I will post pics of them tomorrow since it is so late here. I just got back from out of town and went and checked her feet!!

I was going to post about the feet and trimming with new farrier - this thread was forever long ... but it seems like you got that taken care of - looking forward to new pics

I have seen some hollow feet and a lot of times they have upright feet/toes so the farrier (if not fully competent) doesn't think the toe needs to come off as they don't "see" the excess like an experienced farrier with knowledge does. I pay $45 for a trim here - consider it lucky you are under that
default_smile.png
I will start to keep my mini done myself so she doesn't get too long and call out my farrier when needed...

Without hoofs you have no horse... To me they are one of the most important things on a horse - you have to take care off all 4 as without even a partial one - your horse is "useless" (lack of better term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back